EFoy

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by jhbgaiem, Nov 21, 2008.

1. jhbgaiem

jhbgaiem Read Only Funster

Does anyone here use Efoy batteries as an alternative to solar panels?
    They are very expensive but they seem to be one solution for getting more power without using a generator.

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

This is the Power on the move - Efoy 1200 fuel cell for year-round power for medium and large motorhomes you refer to.

Until prices drop I wouldn't consider it, for the half the money you could have a large solar array.. with no running costs. There is also the problem of sourcing and storing methanol .

3. Tandy

Tandy Funster

Thanks for the link Jim. Is the web site owner a funster?:Smile:

I too have been looking at supplementing our power supply.

I am hoping to go skiing in our RV and I'm worried about keeping warm as I have no idea what sort of hook up (if any) will be available.

I'm also unsure if we will be able to use the slideouts as that is bound to really let out the heat.:thumbdown:

We have an oil filled radiator (which I leave plugged in when at home if a frost is predicted ,I'm not sure of it's electrical needs) and the RV is fitted with a thermostatically controlled "furnace" which i believe draws its power from the LPG tank.

Any thoughts?:BigGrin:

Andy

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Taking one thing at a time and apologising if I'm teaching you to suck eggs
    You should be concerned about power reserves, although as you say your heating is run on gas, RVs are blown air and the fan eats battery's, no power =no fan=heating shut down, it wont run without the fan blowing

Having the slide in or out makes a little difference but not a lot, the heating can cope when its running with the larger area, of course the smaller the room the less gas will be consumed to heat it to the desired temp

Most oil filled heaters are between 3/4 and 2 KW with variable settings, you will find the size of yours on a label attached to the heater,these can not be run of batteries

Given the climate your going to and the possibilities of no hook up I would carry a small generator approx 2 kW, a fraction of the cost to run than the main on board one unless your main Genny also runs on LPG
    Geo

ps another thing to find out is to see if on board genny will start with very low house battery and check if battery link relay works, Mine didnt!!!!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  5. scotjimland

Hi Andy

I wouldn't consider going to a winter location for any more than a couple of days without a 16A hook up..
    As Geo says, blown air gas heating is good but it eats batteries, and drinks LPG at an alarming rate.
    A 2kw genny would be on for several hours a day just to keep the bateries charged, that's assuming you have a decent charger, most RVS come ill equiped in the charger department, .. IMO a genny isn't a viable option in winter.

I recomend fitting two oil filled wall mounted panel heaters, around 800 watt each, this will keep the temp about 10 deg above ambient .. extra heat can be provided by using a portable fan heater on low power, and as a last resort use the gas blown air to boost the temp up to a comfy 22c

Another tip, fit an electric blanket .. :thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  6. Tandy

Tandy Funster

Thanks for the advice Geo,
    So to sum up (hopefully):Wink: :-
    Furnace will work great but running out of propane isn't what should concern me it's running out of battery power needed for the fans that the furnace needs!!
    The oil filled heater is no good unless I can hook up to the mains (or want to run the generator)
    Darren (from motorhome medics) checked out the RV and arrange for the coach and engine batteries to charge up no matter the source and if needed (because the coach battery is flat) the engine battery can be used to start up the genny (which runs on petrol ...I think).
    Don't think the misses will let me buy anything at the moment, so I'm just wishing and dreaming about what I could/should/hope to buy :BigGrin:Andy

7. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

We fit Efoy systems at work, the boss has one fitted in his new Swift and swears by it. :thumb:

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Mmmm..........bet the boss also got it at cost price as well !!!!:Rofl1:

9. scotjimland

He may well do, but £2.5k buys a lot of nights on ehu.

10. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Errrrrrrrrr don't think its that much money !

11. scotjimland

Category: Power on the move
    Manufacturer: Efoy (SFC)
    Price: £2,579.00
    SKU: EFOY FUEL CELL 1200

see above link

12. olley

olley Funster

Hi their was a big thread about the EFOY on the "other" site last week, general consensus was; buy a genny :BigGrin:

According to eddie vanbitz who used to flog them, its the availability of the methanol cartridges that's a big problem, only about 40-50 dealers stock it, and it can't be delivered, pick up only.

The situation abroad is better, but not ideal, 1 cartridge will last about a week apparently.

DAB reckons on waiting until Truma LPG fuel cells become available late next year.

Olley

13. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Jim, I will check on our price but didn't think it was that much:Smile:

14. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Reply from work:
    Eileen, There are four power outputs of the Efoy, 600, 900,1200 and 1600. We
    use the 1600 unit which generates 5.4 amp when needed. The two best sellers
    are the 600 and the 1600. On all units we offer free fitting (max 2 hours)
    and a free 5 litre cartridge of fuel. So on each Efoy unit there is a saving
    of £100. Our unit has run for 120 hours and used 3/4 of a 10 litre fuel
    container. There is very little noise, on fact we sleep on the bed over the
    Efoy unit and cant hear it.

600:- £1649
    900:- £2099
    1200:-£2599
    1600:-£2999
    5 litres of fuel:- £17.99
    10 litres of fuel:-£26.99

We have also developed a way of putting the output of the Efoy back into the
    charging/240v system with the use a high power inverter. However this is
    costly and not really needed. We have also fitted more Efoy systems than
    anybody else in the U.K!!

Seems right Jim - sorry only had price for smaller system in my head. Boss is happy to answer any questions from members and I will give mobile phone number by PM if asked. :Smile:

15. scotjimland

Thanks Eileen for your detailed and informative reply ..

Jim

16. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

The social side of generators

Hi all

We wild camp 99.9% of the time and we do come across the odd generator or two, my thoughts, and this seems almost universal amongs the people we meet who dont have generators, is that they are a bloody nusiance and they are used by people who dont give a dam for anybody else. but of course this is a personal view and we are not all the same, I have my tin hat on waiting........ Hi HI.

Doug and Sandra.

17. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

TIN HAT not needed ! you have only said what every one else on this site thinks ! by the way what boat ? i had a 32 ft. sadler in Dartmouth for a couple of years .....and,,,,i like the HooPoe !!!! regards Stephen. :Wink:

18. scotjimland

Never knew you were clairvoyant... :RollEyes:

I for one happen to disagree, but I won't be drawn into an argument about the pros/cons of gennies, live and let live is my motto, if I don't like something I move on..

19. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Ah! but what about if I am there first, I have found the the people who use generators are blind to the nusiance they course. Do I have to leave or what?

20. scotjimland

see above.. :Smile: