LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There must be an industry standard on the quality/spec of methanol-------the Efoy just runs on pure methanol----a Funster recently posted about running his on fuel bought in 44gal (200L) drums--------I did ask about the life of the fuel once the drum was opened, but didn't see a reply.
We would use ours a lot more if the fuel was a sensible price.
Nigel & Pamala

Hi Nigel and Pamala, we use use ours as much as we want, thankfully that isn't much:LOL:.

Martin

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
So so you think the methanol could have water in it, causing the error? Should I spend£100 on 2x 5lt? Will it come in handy if I'm free camping round Europe for A year? I also have a solar panel on the roof

We have not yet bought fuel---but £100 for 10 litres sounds wrong to me

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Nigel and Pamala, we use use ours as much as we want, thankfully that isn't much:LOL:.

Martin

Hi Martin
When away in the winter (in UK) we used the little Honda for recharging it is MUCH cheaper that way-------I have just fitted the 25Amp Ctek from the de-mountable camper--so charging will be quicker--- (the on-board charger seems to be about 13A)
We won't need either this summer---virtually 24 hour day-light;)(y):)
We head to Sweden next week(y)--------Pamala had her op. and has just been given the all-clear to travel:)(y)-----everything looks great at the moment----------this will be the first 'proper trip' for the van.
Nigel & Pamala

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So so you think the methanol could have water in it, causing the error? Should I spend£100 on 2x 5lt? Will it come in handy if I'm free camping round Europe for A year? I also have a solar panel on the roof

@shano118 the manual said for "error 12", check the exhaust tube routing for kinks or constrictions, if it is blocked the condensate/water from the catalytic process of using the fuel can not get away. £100 for 10 litres is expensive I bought 20 litres for £79. I don't know if it will come in handy as you don't seem to use fuel very quickly if your is dated 2012.
Check all the exhaust tube routing first, it is the small bore silicone tube covered in grey insulation that comes off the back of the unit and should drain to outside.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin
When away in the winter (in UK) we used the little Honda for recharging it is MUCH cheaper that way-------I have just fitted the 25Amp Ctek from the de-mountable camper--so charging will be quicker--- (the on-board charger seems to be about 13A)
We won't need either this summer---virtually 24 hour day-light;)(y):)
We head to Sweden next week(y)--------Pamala had her op. and has just been given the all-clear to travel:)(y)-----everything looks great at the moment----------this will be the first 'proper trip' for the van.
Nigel & Pamala

Have a great time, hope to catch up again sometime.

Martin

OP
OP
shano118

shano118

Free Member
Feb 16, 2015
west sussex
Funster No
MH
buying one soon
Exp
@shano118 the manual said for "error 12", check the exhaust tube routing for kinks or constrictions, if it is blocked the condensate/water from the catalytic process of using the fuel can not get away. £100 for 10 litres is expensive I bought 20 litres for £79. I don't know if it will come in handy as you don't seem to use fuel very quickly if your is dated 2012.
Check all the exhaust tube routing first, it is the small bore silicone tube covered in grey insulation that comes off the back of the unit and should drain to outside.

Martin
I think we'll only us 5lt the whole year? Where would I get just 5lt? Just to rule that out

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think we'll only us 5lt the whole year? Where would I get just 5lt? Just to rule that out

I think it would be cheaper to check and see if your exhaust hose is kinked/blocked. I think it comes in duo packs so it would be 10 litres.

Martin

lesr48

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
When using Methanol, make sure you don't breathe in any fumes from the neat liquid, it will send you blind and eventually kill you

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Industrial grade pure Methanol is currently over £2000 per tonne!

So I make that £31.70 for 20 litres which is £79 in delivery and VAT in the shops in two 10 litre bottles, so cheaper by the tonne but you would have to decant it yourself and tell your insurance that you had a tonne of methanol in the garage.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That's approx; £2 a litre then. Someone is profiteering ?:)
Just make sure that you don't get it on hands/spill it on yourself.

Of course they are, that's what keeps businesses ticking over instead of going bust.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If this is the same stuff they use in heating things in the house, be very careful with it, a young lady in uttoxeter got burnt with it when filling and died after about two weeks in hospitle, very sad only thirty something, if it is the same I wouldn't want it anywhere near our van.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hold up...... reality check here :eek:

I don't think the cost of fuel is the issue..... it's the £2500 to £5000 purchase cost of the power unit that IS an issue :eek::eek:

If you are using one just for emergencies it would be MUCH more effective to run the engine :confused:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If this is the same stuff they use in heating things in the house, be very careful with it, a young lady in uttoxeter got burnt with it when filling and died after about two weeks in hospitle, very sad only thirty something, if it is the same I wouldn't want it anywhere near our van.

No they dont use it heating things in the house but it is a fuel a bit like petrol diesel and gas. You buy it in sealed containers and I do not advocate filling your own whatever the price of the proper containers of it.

Martin

I don't think the cost of fuel is the issue..... it's the £2500 to £5000 purchase cost of the power unit that IS an issue :eek::eek:

If you are using one just for emergencies it would be MUCH more effective to run the engine :confused:

What on a nice quiet camp site full of nice quiet funsters.

On a more serious note the system is fully automatic so keeps on top of the batteries while the MH is in a shed out of the rain and out of the way of light fingers and EHU. If £2500 to £5000 purchase cost of the unit is an issue dont buy one, it a free country.

Martin

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Fuel cell? well at the prices they charge I am glad I have a Generator.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
you would need to own one to afford it ..

the capital cost is high.. but acceptable if it were cheap to run .. which it isn't, and that's it's Achilles heel ..

what we need is a fuel cell that runs on LPG
They call that a honda or kipor with gas conversion and a pipe to the barbeque point/ spare cy,inder

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan

I don't suppose I will be getting one anytime soon, but compared with the £5k+ for hydraulic levelling jacks we have been hearing about recently, these efoys sound a bargain :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Reactions: DBK

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Didn't realise that the fuel containers had a use by date, the one on ours is years old and runs without a problem. After all the containers are completely sealed so it shouldn't degrade over time. Got another 20lts in garage which I expect to last for years to come.
Geoff.

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Just checked, there is definitely no use by date on the containers.
Geoff.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Just bought 2 x 5 litre (unfortunately there is not enough 'height' in the side locker for the 10 litre tubs). The price was £42 for the pair. The cost is soon forgotten given the peace of mind.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just bought 2 x 5 litre (unfortunately there is not enough 'height' in the side locker for the 10 litre tubs). The price was £42 for the pair. The cost is soon forgotten given the peace of mind.

Hi @Mr Mousy I didn't think the 10 litre would be any higher than the unit.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just checked, there is definitely no use by date on the containers.
Geoff.

Certainly a date on ours might be a sell by not use by but agreed sealed so should be OK.

Martin

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Methanol is exceptionally hygroscopic. I suspect it'll keep just fine in a sealed container.

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Ours is for emergencies and when it's parked under cover with no power, we used about 50 or 60 quids worth of fuel in a year which I find acceptable for the peace of mind knowing that we have power even if the sun doesn't shine for a few days.

Martin
Martin, I'm going to buy a van of similar dimensions to yours (with 360w of solar) and it comes pre-wired for an efoy. I'll wait and see how I get on in winter conditions but I might well invest in one in the future for peace of mind (and continued wild camping) during the dark months. Which size of efoy model do you have fitted? I know that power usage depends on lifestyle of course but I'm just curious...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@Dafydd ours is the 140 so 6amp charge. As you say see how you get on without it as battery bank size has a bearing as well.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back