shano118

Free Member
Feb 16, 2015
west sussex
Funster No
MH
buying one soon
Exp
Hi people, I have error 12 coming up not long after turning on, now my local motorhome dealer is saying or maybe because my liquid is dated 2012 ,? Is this the case? I'm finding it hard to spend another £100 on new liquid if it's not going to solve the problem ...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
(Error 11, 12, 18)

Please check exhaust hose connected and arrange it so that condensation cannot

form.

Check for kinks. Clean hose if necessary and keep opening clear. Shorten exhaust hose if condensation forms.

Check that the exhaust hose has been properly

From EFOY manual.

Martin

Let us know the result please as I have some fluid coming up to its use by date.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
An Efoy is a silent generator of 12 volts, it operates from Methanol fuel. The OP asked the question what does error 12 mean and is it related to the date of the fuel being used as it has a shelf life date. The exhaust on the Efoy unit is just a silicone tube as the only by product of power generation is water or condensate. According to the extract from the Efoy user manual error 12 indicates a fault with the condensate drain.

Martin

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Thank you Martin I too was one of the ignorant ones.

That's not unusual but I often will read a thread to learn more but sadly sometimes I just get more confused. It's so common in today's world to use abbreviations, technical terms or just letters which are perfectly understandable to some but a foreign language to others.

So thanks to you for taking the time to educate the ignorant.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We knew that already Chocks..that's why we saved you the embarrassment:giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Just looked at the prices :eek::eek:

I definitely don't want one

Sadly the purchase isn't the end of the problem it's the start of some serious fuel costs.

Earlier this year I was being offered 5litre for £49.99, needles to say I didn't go down that route.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Fenman
I was sat scratching my.............. head ? LOL. "You are not alone " SPOOKY. but thanks to the Informed,we now know just a little bit more. Have you heard this,people are saying the world is.....Round ?
Tea Bag

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
If you contact Efoy direct they will be more than helpful.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sadly the purchase isn't the end of the problem it's the start of some serious fuel costs.

Earlier this year I was being offered 5litre for £49.99, needles to say I didn't go down that route.

£78 for 20 litres delivered with VAT, still not the cheapest power source. Ours is for emergencies and when it's parked under cover with no power, we used about 50 or 60 quids worth of fuel in a year which I find acceptable for the peace of mind knowing that we have power even if the sun doesn't shine for a few days.

Martin

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

You need to work at an oil refinery to ensure a cheap supply. :sneaky:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
They will run on wood alcohol @£20 per 25 litres but its an expensive piece of kit to risk in my opinion. If you go to Europe you can buy the correct stuff cheaper at Accessories Nabonne in Calais.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You need to work at an oil refinery to ensure a cheap supply. :sneaky:

My understanding is that Methanol can be sourced quite cheaply and that you can refill the cartridges if you drill a hole in them, BUT I have also read that you can damage the catalytic cell with impure fuel so after spending how ever many thousand £'s it was I don't think I will risk it's life for a few £'s.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
you would need to own one to afford it ..

the capital cost is high.. but acceptable if it were cheap to run .. which it isn't, and that's it's Achilles heel ..

what we need is a fuel cell that runs on LPG

You mean a Truma VeGA.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
There must be an industry standard on the quality/spec of methanol-------the Efoy just runs on pure methanol----a Funster recently posted about running his on fuel bought in 44gal (200L) drums--------I did ask about the life of the fuel once the drum was opened, but didn't see a reply.
We would use ours a lot more if the fuel was a sensible price.
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
shano118

shano118

Free Member
Feb 16, 2015
west sussex
Funster No
MH
buying one soon
Exp
An Efoy is a silent generator of 12 volts, it operates from Methanol fuel. The OP asked the question what does error 12 mean and is it related to the date of the fuel being used as it has a shelf life date. The exhaust on the Efoy unit is just a silicone tube as the only by product of power generation is water or condensate. According to the extract from the Efoy user manual error 12 indicates a fault with the condensate drain.

Martin
So so you think the methanol could have water in it, causing the error? Should I spend£100 on 2x 5lt? Will it come in handy if I'm free camping round Europe for A year? I also have a solar panel on the roof

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back