efoy fuel cells

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by JohnM, Sep 13, 2011.

1. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Does any funsters know anything about using efoy fuel cell for 12v power charging etc,checked online sounds good.We are in the process of changing our autotrail and next van has a 1600 efoy fitted.:Smile:

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

From what I've heard, sourcing and the cost of methanol seems to be a drawback.. also the inherent danger of storing it in the van.. have you looked into this ?

3. Swift

Swift

I looked at them but was not really impressed with the price of £4k to be honest, also the running costs of around £18 for a 5 litre cartridge, this amounted to between £1.30 and £2.60 per day to run it :Eeek: Plus of course you have to carry the very dangerous cartridges about, I went Solar instead, oh and a bit of Kippor :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Hi Jim checked online and spoke to road pro they recon the fuel cell will last quite a long time,the unit is securely fitted in the garage.As i said it is allready fitted and has around 4ltrs of fuel left so i might as well see how it goes,i will try to contact previous owner when i collect the van. :thumb:

5. scotjimland

Good luck and I look forward to your report.. :thumb:

first hand reports are worth a thousand chatterers on forums :Laughing:

6. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

although the cost of the fuel cell's are dear ,dont be put off they are a good peice of kit and the running cost are not that bad?
    i have done a lot of research into efoy,but the cost of the things new swayed me not to buy one:Eeek:
    if you ever remove it and decide to sell ,it can i have first refusal please:thumb:

7. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi all, I remember CLIVE on the darkside got one fitted a few yrs back and gave it very good feedback :thumb: Very expensive to buy (2/3 grand) but if I remember right it was very economical to run with about 5 ltrs of Methanol costing about £40 ish but lasted around a year.He may well be a member on here as again if memory is right he was/is a professional writer/reviewer,writing articles for mags etc.
    terry

8. Terry

Terry Funster

9. scotjimland

Won't be long until we have a Kifoy fuel cell on the market at a 1/3 of the cost .... :Wink:

and it will run on LPG :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  10. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

you are not far off the point jim:thumb:
    i will put a link up if i can find it:thumb:

11. scotjimland

• Like Like x 1
  12. Swift

Swift

I was thinking of going nuclear myself :Rofl1:

13. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

I had the EFOY 1600 fitted as an option on my van from new. Yes it was not cheap but convenience made up for the initial expense. However, I have just asked about buying some more methanol today and where I have been paying about £34 for 2 x 5ltr containers in the past I am now being quoted nearly £60 for the same amount of fuel. A check online reveals that the cost of methanol cartridges was increased by 30% yesterday. I think that Efoy have just priced themselves out of the market.:Angry:

14. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

i know efoy recomend useing their methonol,but can you use race methonol at £36-- 25lt??

http://www.trinity-research.co.uk/index.php?cPath=21_49&osCsid=f7a6b2acc24b4dbf9fb5b6ca7af8a3dd

15. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Hi Chris it would be worth looking into as i cant find a supplier up here.Thanks for all the info. :thumb:
    John

• Like Like x 1
  16. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

17. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

18. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

EFoy

Our workshops are installing the new 210 EFoy unit tomorrow

240 amps available every 24 hour period, which is an awful lot of power available.

Our customers are of the opinion (and I tend to agree) Generators have a limited use given the number of people that kick off even if you lift one out of the locker, and that Solar simply is not a viable alternative in the Northern Hemisphere in the Winter months so EFoy becomes a front runner.

I was anti due to the poor availablity of fuel which is now much better and the insurance complications seem to have be resolved as the product has become more mainstream and frankly, understood.

Most of the people that we have installed EFoy's for don't want compromise, want to spend a few days off hook up at say Passion sites without getting paranoid about turning things on and off, have upper range vans and can afford it so don't get dogged down by the usual price verses performance arguements.

I started selling EFoy in 2004 and Van Bitz were the first business to exhibit the units at shows in the UK That unit produced........30 amps per day:Rofl1: (mind you 10 times the output of a solar panel in February!

Eddie

19. scotjimland

I didn't quite understand that so I looked up the specs , from Efoy

90watt x 24 comes to 2160

to put it into perspective..

90 watt at 12v = 7.5A = 180AH per day .. about the same as a 1kw genny running for two hours..

Rated Output 90 watts
    Maximum charging capacity per day 600 watts / 180 Ah
    Nominal output voltage 12V
    Charging current at 12V 7.5Ah
    Standby current consumption 15 mA
    [HI]Methanol consumption [HI]1.1 litres per kW hour[/HI][/HI]

Methanol cost £5.30 per liter ... that is expensive leccy .. even if you are rich..
    you pay about 8p per kwh off the grid...

perhaps someone with a genny can tell us what it costs for per kwh ?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  20. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Hi Jim LOL 240 was a typo The new Efoy Comfort which is literally just released is the Efoy 210

Called the 210 because it charge capacity per day is 210Ah with a charge capacity of 8.8A

The new 210 unit has a Five year quarantee

Efoy claim that on average the 10L cartridge will last about thirty days based on the usual usage that people put the systems to when travelling around.

I agree that the Efoy option is expensive but it is only expensive if you can't afford it. If you can enjoy it and enjoy freedom that comes of being free from power constraints.

Remember that if your not paying to stay on sites ( and some Aire Du Repos) that you can save that money to pay for the methanol!

Not for everyone, but most that have Efoy's are very happy with them

Eddie

• Like Like x 2