Edale Tomorrow... (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am heading up Link Removed for the weekend. If anyone else is around pop round to say hello. I will be in the pub Friday night :thumb:

Has anyone stayed on this site recently? Does Three (3G) work there or is there wifi access?

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Hi Karl we're just down the road in Glossop! No transport this weekend though :Sad: only public transport!

Which site are you staying on? Coopers Farm?
Not stayed on there for years.
I think you'll be very lucky to get 3G up there!:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Excellent walking country. Are you sure you're heading for the right place? :winky:

Right next to a pub... Sounds like the right place to me:ROFLMAO:
I used to go Fell running in Edale many many years ago. I love the long run round the top with the spring at the top....

Hi Karl we're just down the road in Glossop! No transport this weekend though :Sad: only public transport!

Which site are you staying on? Coopers Farm?
Not stayed on there for years.

Yes it is Coopers Farm we are stopping at. Shame you don't have transport :Sad:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We used to go to Coopers Farm a lot many years ago when we had a tent and the kids were young - we used to hike up to Ringing Roger then over the tops via Grindsbrook to Edale Cross and down Jacobs Ladder and back down into Edale - fantastic walk! It must be about 12 years since we did it last :Eeek:

Have a great time there it's a wonderful place! :Smile:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The site was so bad we ended up leaving on Saturday even through we had paid for 2 days. I wouldn't recommend this site to anyone :Sad:

We moved down to a site in Ashbourne and it was amazing. I will post about it later. I absolutely loved it and will be going back there again very soon.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Quick report on the weekend.

Coopers campsite in Edale:
I turned up early to book and pay for two spots as my friend was picking up his camper.. They don't allow people to prebook over the phone.

Anyway I turned up. The lady (and I use that term loosely) told me in no uncertain terms that I could only pay for myself. She didn't know if she could fit me on. My choices were to leave or go on myself and hope my friend could get on when he arrived... He would have been parked no where near me either. She seemed more interested in what sort of vehicle he had than taking our money.

I went down to the car park at the bottom of the hill. While I was waiting a small motorhome came in. It had some interesting graphics on it of the pirates of the caribbean. I got talking to him. Really nice guy. He was thinking about staying on the car park if he couldn't get onto a campsite. I was really tempted to do the same after my chat with the owner of the campsite as she was rude and didn't seem to want me or my money.

Anyway. Sean (the guy in the motorhome) went up to coopers and was turned away with the excuse it was full.

When my friend turned up, they insisted we at least try to get on the campsite. We got on. I think there was a bit of snobbery going on which is why Sean was refused and we got on 2 hours later.

Anyway. We were led up to the pitches. I was told which way I could park. I had to have my doors facing down hill due to local planning laws:Eeek:
This meant I was on a downward facing slope and my shower overflowed the door before it got anywhere near the plug hole....

The site itself was crowded and very very noisy.

We went to the pub that night and it kicked out at just after 11pm.. 11pm on a Friday night when the place was full?

Anyway back to the campsite with a couple we met in the pub. We sat outside for a few extra beers. The owner came round with a torch and told us to stop as it was too late. Next morning I was woken at 8am by screaming kids and barking dogs and cars going past my van at speed.

Next morning we upped sticks and left... We had paid for 2 days but it really wasn't worth staying somewhere we didn't feel welcome....

We then drove down to Ashbourne where there was a campsite aimed at tenters and hippy types.

It was brilliant. The welcome was effusive. We were given a choice of fields. The noisey one with late parties. The normal one and the quiet one where music had to be turned off at 9 and no generators are allowed.

We chose the quiet one.

We stopped at the top of the hill overlooking a valley that must have been 30 miles end to end. Brilliant view. We shared the field with horses, Sheep, fowl and a young bull.

The Animals were curious and came across for fusses and a sniff around.

The bull was amazing. It was just over waist height tall and behaved more like a dog than a bull. It loved it's ears and under its neck being scratched. And insisted on using Phils back as a rubbing post. The sheep after seeing the bull getting a fuss ALL came across and started sniffing over the table and putting their noses into the vans. I went across to say hello to the horses and one of them decided it liked me and followed me around for the next hour. Gitte got freaked out by the animals as they were not backward in coming forward. The horses especially as they were so big:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It was funny watching her panic. Phil and me just sat there and let them slobber over us and gave them the odd push when they got too friendly.

We had a BBQ that night and then lit an open fire. We watched the sun going down, had a few beers and gave the animals a fuss when they came over. What a fantastic night...:thumb::thumb:

The edale campsite charged me £12 a night plus a £5 deposit.. No idea what the deposit was for? The Ashbourne site charge £5 a night flat rate.

I will be going back to the Ashbourne site again and again....

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Karl,
Nice to meet with ya Friday

You too. It was a good night until we got kicked out of the pub.
Phil and Gitte wished they had stayed on the Car Park..... Hopefully they will listen to me in future:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Glad you found the forum :thumb::thumb:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Wow Karl - Coopers Farm sounds horrendous! It's a good few years since we stayed on it and it certainly wasn't like that! :Sad: There are a few other sites around Edale - Barber Booth and Nether Booth area - out of the village but nice and peaceful.

Which campsite did you stay on in Ashbourne? There are a few there including one we won't go back to :winky: full of screaming kids etc etc!

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Wow Karl - Coopers Farm sounds horrendous! It's a good few years since we stayed on it and it certainly wasn't like that! :Sad: There are a few other sites around Edale - Barber Booth and Nether Booth area - out of the village but nice and peaceful.

Which campsite did you stay on in Ashbourne? There are a few there including one we won't go back to :winky: full of screaming kids etc etc!

The criteria for Friday night was near a pub..

The one near Ashbourne is called New House Farm.
Please note. If you are much bigger than a panel van you will struggle to get in. I brushed the sides of more than one bush. The entrance is down about a mile and a bit of a single track lane followed by a double right angle entrance... I think it's meant more for tenters. But if you can get in WOW...

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=10041

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I am in Laneside campsite in Hope ( leave in morning, Tuesday ) very good here but not near a pub, although the site is just a 5 minute walk into the village. Very good level site, quiet at night good facilities and would stay again.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back