ECU is it for life!!

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Frentchy, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Frentchy

Frentchy Funster

I had to have my elnagh put on one of these when I built and fitted a tow hitch.
    But this inquiry is for my wife's Ford Kuga, or more to the point, do I have to go to a fraud dealer every time I empty the ash tray:unsure: eg the dash sent a warning about needing an oil change; I took it to the local "Fraud" Ford dealer who happily quoted e159.00 + vat and started advising about stuff that should be checked and replaced whilst I'm at it; when he got as far as the paint work, I began to feel a respray coming on, an told him to sod off.:whistle:
    Any way, being a dab-hand mechanic for our machines, and having our own workshop I did the oil change this morning, a couple of hrs inc a cupper, filter a oil e30.00:) the warning light still comes on for a second or two but goes of, I can live with that:cool: I might go to another Fraud dealer and ask how much for a plug in to their ECU.
    My thoughts are; If this ECU monopoly is going to become Extortionate, Blackmail, then it should have an op-out, or expect to be hacked :sneaky:

PS has anyone hacked a ECU yet;) I promise I won't tell:shake::lipssealed:

2. wizza

wizza Funster

Google resetting service light

• Like Like x 1
  3. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

OBD reader should do the trick.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Frentchy

Frentchy Funster

Done an dusted, thanks wizza(y)(y)

Wots a OBD Larrynwin, I've got a prob with permanent dipped lights:(

5. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

On Board Diagnostics, a socket located often close to steering column depending on age and model to plug in to , reads system faults and can enable deletion of service light although not necessarily wise if you dont know what your'e doing.
    Permanent dipped lights sounds like a relay problem so reader would not help.

Perhaps stop parking in pond :rofl:

• Like Like x 1