Ebola threat

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gorse Hill, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

A nurse in Texas just confirmed infected with Ebola, she had been treating a patient last week who has died and test carried out today confirm she had the virus (how many people has been in contact with since last week, a lot I would think)
    Bearing in mind she will have had the best and latest protection equipment available and taken ever precaution to ensue she was safe yet she has still contracted the virus
    Maybe it's time to stop all travel to and from infected countries because it's clear we DO NOT fully understand the virus and how it mutates and if we are not careful we could end up in serious trouble in this country with devastating consequences
    Dickhead dave needs to act now instead of sitting on his hands telling us everything will be ok, it won't
    He as always been reactive instead of proactive in his decision so far

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The medical staff treating ebola patients have my utmost respect. True to the long traditions of their craft.

However, until we know how the nurse in Texas was infected I don't see what anyone can do that they aren't doing already. The screening of people coming into Heathrow has already been branded a political gesture as there are no direct flights from some of the worst effected countries into the UK.

So what do we do? Close all airports and all sea ports?

I fear the nurse in Texas probably made a simple error, possibly when coming off shift and when removing protective clothing. You can have the best protection available but the challenge comes when, for example, you want a drink of water or a loo break.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

That's the problem bill they don't know enough about the virus and the ways it can be transmitted, they think they do but am not so sure

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

i
    Your right it is possible she made an error, however it's just as possible it can be transmitted in other ways that we are not aware of yet
    I concur with you regarding the medical staff, however as regards what to do I think we could do more such as quarantining everyone who wants to travel here from infected countries (we used to do it with dogs) until we are sure they are not carrying the virus the current method is complety inadequate as you say

6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

But the problem is no one is coming directly from some of the infected countries to the UK. They are flying to Paris or perhaps Schiphol and then what? How do you manage if they get on a train to the UK? And what about the people they might infect in say Paris. Short of literally sealing the borders I don't see much can be done that isn't being done already. There is no way of detecting if someone is infected unless they are showing symptoms and even then there would be a lot of false alarms.

The answer is to tackle the source and some brave folk are doing that and some of them are paying with their lives.

7. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

There's Ebola in Spain too, do we stop going to and from there as well?

• Like Like x 2
  8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

its already been in uk . etc .
    i dare say its already getting ready to strike.

• Like Like x 1
  9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

From memory about 5 people are killed on UK roads every day.

I'm not sure what the figure is for Spain but I think the risk of a road accident killing you is significantly higher than catching ebola.

To reinforce the need for a sense of proportion, the total numbers of reported fatalities in the current ebola outbreak are about the same as are killed on UK roads every 3 months.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

if it get's in to some of the hige rise ghettos London Manchester or any of the major city's it could spread like wild fire
    but it's ok call me Dave has it in hand.:rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

Well I'm taking no chances when we drive down to Benidorm next week. ebola.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Po
    Poor analogy, when someone gets killed by/in a car, the car doesn't carry on killing more people

• Like Like x 3
  13. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Fair comment but even if they are traveling from other countries,as you point out, we are still aware of where they started there journey so it could be managed in this way which has got to be better than a free for all which is basically what's happening now in reality
    As regards to not detecting the virus that's why I suggested quartine harsh but neccessary IMO
    But your right very diffcult to manage but I feel we must do more or at least try
    What happens if we can't tackle it at source ?

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you might not know where they started from . many countries dont stamp passports if there is a problem or folk lose passports etc . there was a problem with having israel stamp so they did it on a piece of paper if you asked . you can get a new passport in many countries even if you want a uk one .
    we dont know who as entered any country .

15. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

cars are not carriers of Ebola

16. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

If need be yes, otherwise the alternative is to have a virus, for which there is no vaccine for, in our country
    I wish i had the answer or a solution but we don't but what we are doing at present seems inadequate people are traveling to and from the infected countries with very few safeguards in place

• Like Like x 1
  17. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Don't bet on that. I saw the "isolation" room in a Tacoma hospital. They were very proud of it and I thought it woefully inadequate.

Yes it was a negative pressure room but there was no protocol for changing the air filters for the air going out of the room, getting supplies in was via a "pass through" cupboard with no seals on the inner door.

These were just two of the very obvious problems.

18. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

In the next 18 months more people will be killed by flu than anything like the worst statistics of Ebola.

That's a fact, live life and enjoy..?

You never know how longs left anyway

• Like Like x 6
  19. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

ok, then all European countries should put in place a system where people are coming from, difficult but possible and that's what will be required at the end of the day if there is an outbreak in Europe

20. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Good point, but that just confirms how dangerous the virus is and how little we know about it
    And all this is a developed country with supposedly some of the best brains/doctors in the world

• Like Like x 1