gulfbluersr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
Do not do that, I tripped over my bike and set it off, I would have been dead,but yes same size as short cartridge
And was there a pile of
0566.png
in your pants :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Abus D locks well rated. Chain also a good idea for securing at van to something immovable.but most chain rubbish. It really all depends on value of bikes...

Informed opinion says you should spend 10% of bike value on security. 2 different types of locks need different types of tools to defeat, so slow down thieves

Good advice there Judge.....many thanks!(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
As well as two thick cables and locks we have fitted one of these on each bike

another inconvenience for the tea leaf

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I saw those on ebay last night. Dirt cheap from China (less than £3). Gotta be worth trying. I'd wondered about making an alarm that shouted "stop thief" in three or four different languages!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use a henry krank alarm mine. It is a 12 bore black powder cartridge(shotgun) perfectly legal,if it goes off thief probably have heart attack
Legal if used as intended and with the correct warning signs in place I suspect. Just saying this in case anyone does actually try it in a public place. And outside the UK? Don't even think about unless you are really sure of the legal position.

Fun device though!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Isn't a terrible indictment of what we have become - where we have to worry about the legalities of taking reasonable measures to protect our property from thieving scroats?
:crying:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
lock.jpg

Reasonably confident bike will be where I left it....:)

Only a quick stop or else I would use kyptonite cable through both wheels as well

If you leave bike same place every day that's the kind of thing that really increases risk

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
CHAINS???

Have a look!

Shame the video is over 8 years old it would be interesting to know if any of the newer products faired any better, it makes you wonder how they got Thatham & Gold Secure approval, they weren't even using anything fancy to attack them just a standard bolt cutter available from most tool shops.

The German video looked more interesting at least one of the locks suvived an attack an Abus one.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
@ludo if they want it they will have it!...most thieves only have hand croppers or cutters.

Tip: they could not do that on my bike lock pictured earlier...as they need the chain to be on the ground, so they can lever the heavy grade bolt croppers.:coffee:

like I said earlier, more a danger in a garage or train station where bike known to be daily. Touring..risk negligible IMO. that said, there was a gang going round lake garda last year stealing Haibikes as a lot of threads posted on german pedelec forum..

Be careful out there guys! You can only do so much:)...anything else is what good insurance is for!(y)

to recap: 10% of bike value on security. 2 types of lock. D and chain..and not any old chain. cable to protect wheels or install pinlocks on wheels and seats...

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
@ludo

Tip: they could not do that on my bike lock pictured earlier...as they need the chain to be on the ground, so they can lever the heavy grade bolt croppers.:coffee:

Good point, make sure the chain can't get too near the ground then they could only get it off with a battery angle grinder & that wouldn't too easy.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Crikey !! What have I done buying a £2400.00 e bike . We will have to buy a better lock and chain on our way to Dover. I was perfectly happy with my old Trek hybrid up till now but unfortunately heel pain made it impossible if I had to get off to push up hills . I love my new e Bike but hate the fact that it will be more attractive to thieves as well . I can see that we will stay in more campsites rather than Aires this time and that the bike will have to be locked and chained in the MH garage when not used . I will have to inspect our MH insurance as well to see if we need more cover .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
@Cobweb . at least you now know the risk and that relatively low when touring, but yes you obviously need decent locks!....Just be sensible, don't worry and enjoy trip. I have yet to loose a bike in 6 years. Hope I don't tempt fate and regret saying this:coffee:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have another look!

your average junky bike thief ain't going to have one of them:D...even that or the other long handled croppers cant handle decent 19 mm chain (what I would use in a garage)

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
your average junky bike thief ain't going to have one of them:D...even that or the other long handled croppers cant handle decent 19 mm chain (what I would use in a garage)

I am sure that your average opportunist would not have such equipment, Eddie, but those involved in the scrap business and similar enterprises, certainly do. Some of these cutters can cut 30 mm and above, are relatively small and light and very quick.

Just like wild camping, I think it is equally, if not more, important to leave your bikes in what you consider and feel to be a safe place as well as locking them up securely.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The gang I mentioned going round lake Garda taking high end bikes..they know what bikes have high end equipment that can be stripped and sold easily for good money. There is nothing you can humanly do to prevent this? you have to be realistic?

Just relax, enjoy, but be cautious where you leave it, and as well secured
as possible....a good tip is to leave in pedestrian areas away from road so they cant park a van next to it and use heavy gear.....

Hardly worth getting fixated about and worrying yourself sick :whistle:

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have now got a Kryptonite New York anti theft gold standard lock for "My Precious"bike . We also got insurance from our MH insures Caravan guard for up to £3000.00 which includes husbands Trek navigator as well . The lock cost £69.67 Insurance £ 87.00 ...Phewww! Only thing with insurance is that we cannot make a claim during next 14 days.... We will have to be very careful out there!

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have now got a Kryptonite New York anti theft gold standard lock for "My Precious"bike . We also got insurance from our MH insures Caravan guard for up to £3000.00 which includes husbands Trek navigator as well . The lock cost £69.67 Insurance £ 87.00 ...Phewww! Only thing with insurance is that we cannot make a claim during next 14 days.... We will have to be very careful out there!

We have 2 x Kalkhoff Bikes and have been using the same locks you mention. They are quite weighty but I think they are one of the better D Locks out there.

Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back