Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Wife has an e-bike powered by a front wheel hub motor. Power to the motor has completely failed, battery is fully charged.
Also, the front wheel will spin forwards, but not backwards, so I'm guessing something inside has seized on. (Pleas forgive my ignorance of these matters).
Any ideas? It looks like a completely sealed unit, which will be beyond my competence to fix it. Is it likely to be economically fixable?

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
as i understand the situation from someone I know who owns one here in the UK the things a great but very expensive, best to phone a repair place and ask them,

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It isn't seized. It rotates freely forward because there is a freewheel inside. When you try to turn it in reverse you are attempting to turn the motor via the internal gears - difficult if not impossible. If there is a separate controller between the battery and motor then it is a likely point of failure. If the controller is inside the motor then it's still a point of failure but cannot be repaired.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
That happened to my wife's Decathlon ebike which is still in the garage in bits. Went out and bought 2 crank motor ones instead.

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
It isn't seized. It rotates freely forward because there is a freewheel inside. When you try to turn it in reverse you are attempting to turn the motor via the internal gears - difficult if not impossible. If there is a separate controller between the battery and motor then it is a likely point of failure. If the controller is inside the motor then it's still a point of failure but cannot be repaired.
Thanks for this. Previously, the wheel rotated freely in both directions, so something has changed. How do I find out if there is a separate controller between battery and motor, is it something that would be obvious to a techno numpty like me?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you havent already, remove the battery and see if the wheel turns then.
There must be some sort of clutch to engage and disengage the drive, or you couldnt push or ride the bike with a flat battery, and possibly the clutch is engaging but the motor itself is damaged.

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
there's pictures of how to repair on the internet show the Hub and gears everything you will need to know,

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
there's pictures of how to repair on the internet show the Hub and gears everything you will need to know,
Thanks. Unfortunately, in my world knowing how to do something and being able to do it aren't always the same thing. :D2

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
If its a black bafon motor they come apart remove the small allan bolts, there are three gears inside
may be one of those although going forward may be something else,othe option is to by new front wheel complete from e bike or from ebay.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If you decide to fit a new front wheel with the hub inside make sure you get the correct voltage one. They do vary.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back