Ebike insurance in Spain. (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Had this reply from the Consulate in Alicante, as you would expect not a lot of help.
( never really considered insuring my 'electric bile' ) :Eeek:

Thank you for your email dated 24th October regarding an electric bile insurance.
The British Consulate cannot advise you on local laws and procedures.
For further enquiries we recommend you get in touch with the Spanish Authorities, an insurance company and/or the local traffic department.
We hope this information has been useful to you.
Kind regards,

British Consulate
www.gov.uk
We welcome your Broken Link Removedon our services

Help save paper - do you need to print this email?

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:cool:so are electric scooters tared with the same brush as electric bikes ????:cautious:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Did anyone get a copy certificate of conformity is so could I please have a copy.

Joyce

They are specific to make and model of bike......they are not generic?

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have ebikes from ASBikes, Coventry....if you contact them they will email
you a Cert of Conformity...we have ours...and our house insce has been confirmed that
they cover 3rd party liability when used overseas.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
How many times does this have to be said?
If bike has independent throttle it is outside european EPAC rules and NOT strictly legal in Spain?

you cant just copy any old COC and pass it around, as they are specific to manufacture and model of bike. if bike is complaint it will have an EN sticker on the frame...I must have said his 20 times on here... its like talking to a wall!lol

if the man with the gun bothers to stop and bike not compliant you he will be looking for moped insurance? NOT third party ( a potential 1500€ fine)

http://www.bike-eu.com/Laws-Regulat...al-legislation-and-CEN-standards--BIK004232W/

"As for marking:
a) the frame must be visibly and permanently marked with a serial number at a readily visible location;

b) the frame must be visibly and durably marked, with the name of the manufacturer or the manufacturer's representative and the number of European Standard, i.e. EN 14764;

c) the vehicle must be durably marked with the following words: EPAC according to En 15194;

d) xx km/h, i.e. cut off speed;

e) xx W, i.e. electric motor maximum continuous rated power."

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
OK, I surrender
We are are leaving our leccy bikes at home and are taking our old fashioned pedal pusher bikes
Can,t be doing with all this hassle

If your leccy bikes 'Don't' have an independant throttle, i.e. You have to pedal to get any power from the motor, then there isn't a problem, so take them and enjoy.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
They do have independant throttles plus being some 6 years old have no certificates ect
I did get hold of a certificate that I 'doctored ' to suit the bike make and numbers but cannot be doing with wifey worrying about getting put away in a Spanish Jail for a few months
I prefer my big wheeler anyway as I feel it rides nicer, it is wifey that wants to be tugged around

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sorry..but would hate to see anyone end up at the wrong end of a fine. You may well be OK as people are saying its only isolated cases.

What ever you decide surely better to travel being aware of the situation and potential risk.....sorry :(

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Not planning to go to Spain at present (or anywhere else on mainland Europe) but will get the CoC from ASbikes when we take the bikes to be serviced. I'd be happy to register and insure them - insurance is easy but how does one register bikes that don't need to be registered in the UK so they can be used elsewhere?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
but then you can always ride an e bike so illegal the police will never catch you! This from when I was far younger and more impetuous!

(2 years ago:giggle:)

edit: catch the runner doing cartwheel at 2.35 secs in...:)

Chris B

Free Member
Oct 7, 2014
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
We have an E Bike that we bought at a motorhome show from Powered Bicycles based at Long Eaton. We have had a couple of problems which they sorted out very quickly at no charge, even ringing us back when we have been abroad. Concerning the latest queries about E Bikes in Spain throttles and Certificates we were a bit concerned. However a phone call to Hamant at powered bicycles and we are now sorted, he took me through the procedure of disabling the throttle using the bike computer and a certificate will be in the post ! Also a contact number for insurance . Brilliant service .( I have no connection with this co.) just a very satisfied customer.
Chris

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I was in there on Saturday Chris, yes he knows his stuff and his E Bikes are very nice. I particularly liked the Bosch one he had but my last car cost me that much! Forgive me if I'm wrong, but when I asked him about the Certificate of Conformity for his own brand I understood his reply to mean that it would comply with the UK regs because they all had a throttle fitted. I cannot see how just 'turning it off' would be sufficient.

I'm not wishing to be alarmist here as we are most likely taking our Pro-Rider to Spain in two weeks time, now with the throttle disconnected.

Chris B

Free Member
Oct 7, 2014
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks ,I'll speak to him again !

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Correct David.....There is no way that bike compliant. You can pick Bosch bikes up at good prices mail order from Germany.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Correct David.....There is no way that bike compliant. You can pick Bosch bikes up at good prices mail order from Germany.

We're still having problems with a frame size that Ginny is comfortable with and time is running out on finding something as we will be hours away from France by this time in two weeks. Maybe we will see some nice bikes whist away and get some ideas!

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Can we give this thread a different name please?

I insure my motorbike with eBike Insurance as it is the only one that insures away for 365 days. I am nervous enough about that fact alone, so when I see this thread's title crop up in the "Recents" I wonder "what now"?

Chris B

Free Member
Oct 7, 2014
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
On our bike I have now removed the entire throttle assembly, I'm hoping that this will do the trick. The motor will only assist once you start to peddle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back