Eberspacher not starting up! Help!! Cold!! Very Cold!! (1 Viewer)

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Guys

Having a problem with my Eberspacher heater at present. When I turn the heater on it starts up in the normal way ie: ticking. Does 2 cycles of trying to fire up then stops.
I have located where the problem is ( I think ).

Tried for ages yesterday until I took the fuel line off to see if there was fuel. Fuel didn't run out the end of the pipe but I shook it and replaced it and the heater fired up as normal.
I have a full tank so I know its got fuel, but tried to start it up this morning and same problem. Took fuel pipe off again did same thing and it started again.
I thought it was an air block but if it fires up after taking the fuel line off then perhaps not.

It can't be the fuel filter because if that was blocked it wouldn't work at all.

I know diesel can thicken in the cold weather so is it that? I ran out of fuel last week and the heater stopped then until I filled up and it started again no problems so was it that?

I am stumped!! The heater is now working and I'm thinking of leaving it on, on the lowest setting when I go out so hopefully I won't have this problem again when I get back.

Has anyone had any problems like this or any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Gary

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It won't be your diesel unless its -15 odd outside.
Assuming you are sure it is a fuel supply, it could be a bit of debris stuck in the dosing pump.

Remove, clean or replace would be my starting point.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
In our previous van, the Eberspacher heater packed up when the external air intake hose got filled with water (condensation, rain splash, I don't know how).

It's the corrugated plastic hose that hangs under the heater, under the van. We ran the heater without the hose on for a while, but that's not recommended. In the end we drilled a small hole in the middle of the hose, at the lowest part of the bend, to allow water out.

Steve :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Check the fuel pump, there is a gauze filter that sometimes blocks which will cause this issue.
We had it, took to a dealer who stripped down the heater, when the filter just needed cleaning. it never ran the same again.

I can not remember the exact location, how to remove the filter, it is in one end of the pump, but was not hard, i removed the pump which made it easier.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back