Eberspacher Heater clicking

Discussion in 'Heating and Air-Conditioning' started by keith, Sep 26, 2007.

1. keith

keith Funster

Hi knowledgeable ones

Our new van has one of these heaters that run on diesel and while it is very efficient at warming the van :thumb: we get a clicking when it is on.
    Is this normal? What is it that clicks?:Eek!:

Keith

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

In general heaters do make clicking noises as they heat up, expansion of the different materials, howevr these tend to change in volume and frequency.
    If yours is a regular click that remains constant it would suggest that its the ignitor that you may be hearing,as to wether it should be clicking after the unit is lit is another question, it could be a saftey flame protection feature or even a fault
    Geo

3. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Hi, the clicking is usually from the pump.
    I have read that you can buy a rubber mount that cushions the clicking effect and damps it out!
    Hope this helps

4. voxol51

voxol51 Read Only Funster

Eberspachers have been used in trucks for years.
    'Justme' is right in his post, the fuel metering pump does the clicking. Unfortunately the clicking noise is the pump working and you can't stop it, however, again as 'Justme' says, a rubber mounting will help prevent the clicking being carried through the van by acting as a damper/insulator.

Voxy.

5. GeorgeTelford

GeorgeTelford Deleted User

concur on the pump, usually mounted outside and under vehicle for just this reason

6. keith

keith Funster

Thanks for the replies, :thanks2:
    I will investigate further the pump mounting & see if I can make it quieter.:Smile:

Keith

7. bertie

bertie Deleted User

sorry for late reply, been away in van:sin: our eberspacher clicked so took it to local eberspacher service department and it is the pump, rubber mounts, which it was already on, made not a jot of difference so have now got used to it,

bertie

8. finby

finby Read Only Funster

I also concur with Justme. The clicking is the fuel feed pump. There is nothing to worry about, and we found that after a while you don't really notice it. Just to add, it's the best heating system we've had, and economical too!:thumb:

9. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

You wouldn't normally notice the pump clicking because the heater itself is so damned noisy! :RollEyes:
    It makes 'urban wildcamping' very tricky...:Smile:

10. keith

keith Funster

I haven't noticed it being noisy & have now got used to the clicking of the pump.:BigGrin: I asked Autocruise about the mounting & they confirmed it is rubber mounted.
    If you have ever parked next to an RV with the heating running don't get too close it could take the paint off the side of your van :Eeek: & they are much louder but very efficient.

Keith