Eberspacher fuel line problem Help!! (1 Viewer)

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Guys

I have an infuriating problem and I need help.

I have an Eberspacher D4 heater that until recently was working great. Problem is that I ran out of diesel and the heater fuel pump could not feed fuel to the heater. Consequently this caused an air lock in the fuel line.
I managed to get rid of the air lock and the air bubbles out of the line and fuel is flowing to the heater but the problem now is that when I turn on the heater it will not fire up. So now when the fuel pump is ticking to pump metered fuel into the heater combustion chamber, I have to take the fuel line off and then put it back on again and the heater fires up straight away.

It does not need bleeding because I know that there's fuel in the fuel pump and I know that there is fuel in the fuel line getting to the heater because when I take the fuel line off the fuel is being pumped from the line. There are no bubbles in the fuel line so why does it only fire up when I quickly take the fuel line off and replace it.

The heater itself is working as it should, other than the fuel line problem, but its so frustrating.

I am baffled. Has anyone had any experience of this or any ideas.

Many thanks
Gary

OP
OP
gazza280

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I don't think its flooded because if it floods it gets burnt off first time you turn the heater on, as is evident by the exhaust smoking first. So I know the glow plug is working.
I have to take off the fuel line everytime. Though recently if I tried 7/8 times it would eventually fire up, but now instead of trying 5/6/7/8 times I just try once and then give up and take fuel line off and replace it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Sounds as though it could be the plug strainer / screen blocked, this is located below the glow plug, if this gets blocked it makes it very hard for the heater to ignite. it can be changed with the heater in place, just remove glow pin and the screen/ strainer is located below it, you need to hook this out with a bit of welding rod with a very slight bend on the end if you have a tap & dia set you might find it easier to just wind a tap in a couple of turns and pulling the screen out with it. there are some details and pictures here
Broken Link Removed

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
There is another filter built into the pump that people miss.

I don't know if this is the cause of your problems but its worth a check .

You need to hold the pump tight and undo the nut on at the base of the inlet side . This will reveal the strainer

You can tap the crap out and back flush it

Good luck

Neil

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
"Ran out of Fuel" Most likely cause now is all the crap that was in the dregs of the fuel supply is now fouling up a Filter (somewhere).? The micro-bore fuel tubing will soon re-airlock if the fuel supply feed is restricted as the heater wants more than the fuel system can supply. And IMHO the standard fuel supply pipework on eberspatchers is marginal at best?.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If the heater is running after you have played with it, surely the fuel supply is fine?

Is it possible that the long periods of time the glow plug has been used whilst attempting a startup has goosed an already worn out glow plug? The low glow plug output would be quenched by the supply of fuel.

Only a theory, but if it were mine I would replace the burner screen and glow plug.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back