Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Whilst we were away in the cold snap recently, we were struggling to get a decent temperature in the van. The Eberspacher Mini Controller (pictured) did not seem to vary the temperature whatever it was set to. Whether it was set high or low, it seemed the thermostat cut in before the van was really warm enough. There is a temperature sensor. Probably the most demanding conditions we have used the van in and we had to supplement with electric fan heater. Any ideas? I would have thought it was capable of bringing the temperature up better than it did.

Steve
product_image_4745_3364.jpg

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It could be the control unit at fault, but it could also be a blocked filter, just before the inline pump. Carefully unscrew the pipe going into the pump and you will find a small filter. Give it a clean in petrol and try it again.

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
It is mounted near a side window above the table. I actually got to the stage of unscrewing it and "wafting" it about, even blowing on it!

Steve

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Don't know the size. It is an air unit.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Perhaps its just not powerful enough for the size of van it has to heat, a 2KW unit would struggle with a medium to large motorhome in sub zero temps for example. Hopefully I will be getting some training on Ebers soon then I might be able to help more.

D.

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Appreciate your input. I did wonder if it was powerful enough. But it seemed to reduce air speed before it was warm. However, it was darned cold!

Steve

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We've used Eberspachers in the past, among other types, on one memorable occasion down to -22c, and the one time performance did drop off it turned out to be an accumulation of fluff on the round air-intake grille/filter on the unit. Once removed full output was restored (and that was a 2000w in a 23' van) ... worth checking ... :Smile:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Another thing to consider,,, when switching the heater on does it run for approx. 5 minutes and then start to shut down ? if this is the case this happens if the heater has recorded overheat fault codes more than three times and the fault codes need to be cleared before the heater will run properly again. I would think that you have either a D2 or D4 airtronic which are normally very reliable and either would be more than capable of heating your van. If you happen to be anywhere near Norwich I'd be more than happy to take a look and clear any fault codes etc,

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
No, it does continue to run. Usual process of runs cold for a few minutes, low fan speed, the starts to warm up, increasing fan speed, but then after perhaps 10 or 15 minutes it stays warm but the fan speed decreases considerably (as if it had reached the desired temperature) but the air is still warm.

Steve

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am still going for a blocked filter or low batteries.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
No, it does continue to run. Usual process of runs cold for a few minutes, low fan speed, the starts to warm up, increasing fan speed, but then after perhaps 10 or 15 minutes it stays warm but the fan speed decreases considerably (as if it had reached the desired temperature) but the air is still warm.

Steve

Then I would say either the temperature sensor or the controller is at fault , If you decide to change the controller there is a new one available with the sensor built into it which might work out cheaper than replacing yours and the temperature sensor, It shouldn't be down to low voltage as if this was the case the heater should shut down, the filter in the pump is a possibility but again I think this should cause a shut down but it is worth checking although in about 15 years of fitting eberspachers I've never had a problem with the pump filters,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back