Eberspacher diesel servicing?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by CazPaul, Oct 29, 2014.

1. CazPaul

CazPaul Read Only Funster

Does anybody know how often you have to get this serviced.

PVC 2005 Murvi Morello. Can't see any record in the paperwork of it ever been serviced.

Seems to be a slight smell of fumes when on although carbon monoxide alarm didn't go off.

Got a price yesterday from a Eberspacher agent in the North East, £200, bleeding hell I wanted it servicing not a price for a new one.

Paul.

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Most diesel heaters are expensive to maintain unfortunately.
    If your heater is getting smoky it usually means the burner screen is getting blocked with carbon deposits.
    Cleaning is not that effective and the burner clogs quickly again.
    You would be looking at around £100 for another burner/glowplug unit plus labour to strip and rebuild it with new gaskets.
    £200 sounds reasonable!

• Like Like x 1
  3. keith

keith Funster

Cost me £90 last year in Carlisle, so the quote you got seems to be well out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CazPaul

He never said they were replacing the burner/glowplug though Jon, just to service it. I maybe need to ring back and clarify exactly what the price entails.

Paul.

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

See here for service price. They're not in your area unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    If you have an "Old school" haulage yard nearby,pop in and have a chat with the fitters/ mechanics/spanner monkeys,they mend them in their sleep,worth a punt.
    Tea Bag.
    PS. I did well at school so went straight to Juggernaut jockey,missed all that "Techy" stuff. " But could still get 'em home
    PPS. THAT'S upset the "Fitters"... (Old school mech's,the wind beneath my wheels !)/Mechanics/Technicians... Fitters got you going with bits from around the yard,Technicians "fitted" New to New.....
    Well that's me truly Blackballed now,hope i don't breakdown anywhere in the UK LOL.LOL.LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

I would think a lot of the cost involved would depend on how much work is involved in removing the heater and refitting, a basic service ie strip out heater de coke replace the two gaskets involved and fit a new plug strainer would not be to expensive for parts etc I only do the airtronic D2 & D4's and I can strip, de coke and stick one back together in about 10 minutes once out of the van. There should be no fumes able to get in the habitation area so I would check the heater exhaust for a split they quite often split just below the heater, A service agent will charge quite a bit because they will also probably carry out various tests such as fuel metering and clear fault codes all takes time, £150 -£200 is about normal some places charge around £70 just for pluging in a diagnostic machine and clearing fault codes and you wouldn't buy a new heater for anywhere near that

• Like Like x 1
  9. CazPaul

Yes I know you can't buy a new heater for anywhere near that, it was a tongue in cheek remark.

Paul.

10. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Another possibility, for service work, is a boat yard. Many narrow boats have diesel fired heaters.

• Like Like x 1
  11. durhamahoy

durhamahoy Funster

Hi
    I recently had mine repaired at AES Sunderland. Didn't seem too bad a price? Well it was £400 for the heat exchanger and was just glad too get the heater back working.
    They were very helpful must admit would use them again as there doesn't seem to be anybody else.
    Steve

12. CazPaul

Many thanks.

The quote I received was from auto electrics Teeside who are Eberspacher agents

Might call the ones you used.

Paul.