Eberspacher D2 retrofitted in a Laika Ecovip 200i (1 Viewer)

M

maco802

Deleted User
Does anyone have any experience of retro-fitting an Eberspacher D2 into a motor home.
Specifically where would you site the D2 heater? John.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Eberspatcher D4 fitted in our old van is fitted under the rear transverse seat of the u shaped lounge.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
you can put it almost where you like, as long as you can route the inlet and exhaust pipes outside easily,

usually they are mounted on the floor tho, so the exhaust and inlet stubs poke through it,

but you can get boxes for them to mount em under the floor, on the chassus rails, under the bonnet etc.

just one place i wouldent put one is under the bed, as they can be noisey on start up, and the constiany hum will annoy you after a while.... oh and others will no doubt say the fuel pump ticking will drive you mad.

in my last van, i origionaly had a propex 1600 heater, i put in an eberspacher D3, went in the same place so i could hook upto the ducting i had put in when i fitted the gas heater, but you must use eberspacher ducting for at least the first meter, as they run a lot hotter than any gas fired heater,

my current van i started out with a truma fire and blown air system, but replaced that with an eberspacher d5W, but that's the water heater, and i have mini domestic radiators for heating,

mine is mounted under the floor of the van, the fuel pump hangs from a short length of heater hose, so dosent tick anywhere neer as annoyingly as if it were mounted to the chassis rail on a P clip as some people do,
i also have an air intake silencer.. a must, whistles like hell otherwise, but i use the one for a webasto heater, cheaper than the eberspachers one and i found more effective,

i also have 2 exhaust silencers, this makes my heater a lot quieter than others, no where as noisey as some american RV's furnaces firing up, but i still get the jet type whine as it spools up after the diesel is first ignited and begins to self sustain the flame, it's just muffled, when running there's a whooshing noise, your wont be as loud as it's the 2kw version, mine being the 5kw one has a much stronger flame, hence more noise.

oh, and make sure you have at least 2 leisure batteries, i assume the heater is the D2C model, i.e. a modern one, the old uns pulled 20 amps on start up, the new uns pull 10 amps, that's for upto 3.5 mins, when running they pull a couple of amps, but having them cycle on and off all night is a sure fire way to flatten the battery if you dont have enough capacity.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
My own experience with this heater was when I fitted one to a boat that I built, and then living with it for the next 5 years.

My main comment is "NEVER AGAIN" I found the unit, temperamental, noisy, Very heavy on battery power when starting up, spares cost was astronomical.

One of the main my complaints is that when the unit starts it requires 18 amps for the starter heater and if during the start up the voltage dipped under the 12 volt mark the unit shuts down, this meant that if your batteries are less that fully charged you had to run the engine to get it going, then if the accommodation reached the set temperature and the unit shut down you had to go through the whole thing again. Never again!!!

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back