Eberspächer D2 Air Heater problem! - (link inc. to video clip) (1 Viewer)

KeithS

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All,

We are currently down in Spain with our Autosleeper Symbol. We are having a problem with the blown air heater. Obviously, we are going to need to take it in for repair when we get back to Blighty but, in the meantime would be interested to hear from any Funsters who may have had the same problems. What was the diagnosis and how was the fault resolved?

I understand the heat exchangers have to be replaced after 10 years - we are currently on 8.5 yrs, perhaps this has a bearing?

The problem is as follows:
On switching the heater on, it goes through its usual 'start up routine' and after about 40 seconds tries to ignite. At this point choking white fumes are emitted from the external exhaust for about another 40 seconds at which point it suddenly starts to operate normally. After this it works OK, on and off with the thermostat. The problem can sometimes reoccur though during operation if the heat has been off long enough for the system to cool down.

I have included a link to a video clip (I hope it works) which shows what's happening. Not much action for the first 40 seconds so bear with it! Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7m5ntg9q4hj0rm/Video 27-01-2015 11 38 14.mov?dl=0

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.

Keith

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Dirty burner!

New one required! Put a new glow plug in whilst you're at it!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Hope you get it sorted, but it reminded me of something from Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds with the smoke and the noise of the burner spooling up :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Seeing its still firing up Looks like its not been serviced for a wile or the glow/heater plug on the way out. Ours will smoke a bit (not so much as that though) on start up if we only have it on low heat a lot of the time, I usually then have it flat out for a few hours, then its fine, no doubt some will be along & say that a bad thing to do;)

HARESBY

Free Member
Jul 11, 2012
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie well sort of. Ex continental truck driver.
This ex trucker says:- When this happened a new glow plug did the trick. The plugs don't last for ever and perhaps after
8½ years the plug may be just that little tired to say the least. Hope this helps.(y)

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Sounds like it needs a decoke and new glow plug while you are at it...

Also worth checking that neither the external air inlet or warm air outlets are blocked in any way.... mice??:eek::D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back