Ebay (1 Viewer)

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
There is a Rapido Mercedes motorhome on Ebay at the moment - great looking advert, lots of pictures (2 showing different gas installations ) and very cheap - too cheap.
None of the page links work eg : feedback, email seller, bid history and even the 'report an item' link returns an 'Item not known' message?????????????
How can you report an item to Ebay in this situation.

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
This is far too cheap and very fishy!!!
you could try this number 020 8080 2105 ebay customer support

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Its a strange one as you have to be aproved by the seller to bid and you can only watch it as a guest!

Pictures are dead correct, right furnishing colours fot the year, I have got two in stock but no way is it a 6 berth:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Report fraud item to ebay

You report items like this by going right to the bottom of the listing where you see 'report this item', then when the next link appears, select 'fraudulent item' from the drop-down menu.
I have reported loads of fake motorhome adverts like this and they quickly remove them. The obvious hint an advert may be dodgy is the fact they nearly always say to contact the seller by email and show a 'hotmail' address instead of contacting seller through the usual 'contact seller' link.

OP
OP
T

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
If you use the 'report this item' system it comes back and tells you that the Item number is not recognised - what can you do then?

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
That usually means that the item has already been removed or is being checked out with the seller prior to removal . I checked this morning and I couldn't find it.

OP
OP
T

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Link Removed

It is still there but if you search under it's item number Ebay tells you it does not exist!!
It is a total Fraudulent page with no link to Ebay and no way to let Ebay know about it.
Ebay customer helpline is a total waste of time.

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
managed to chat to ebay and it has been reported to the security team.
lets see how long before they remove the listing

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
They cannot remove what is not there, whilst the link does open an advert it is not on the ebay site, it only appears to be
Link Removed

note the arbdcgi3- before ebay that is the clue. You have a flyby download on your computer that has brought up that page, it does not originate from ebay so beware you have malware on your computer. I suggest you carry out a full malware scan.

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
No malware on my PC 100% checked , How come a ebay rep in the states also found the advert when told to search for a Mercedes rapio camper??????

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
just by looking at the ad you have picked up the malware, I have just tried to look at an irish ebay and samethin popped up

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
This has now been posted on the page
Q: where can this be picked up from please 26-Jul-09 A: THIS LISTING IS ILLEGAL AND NOTHING TO DO WITH STANNARDS5. IT IS BEING DEALT WITH BY EBAY SO PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BID OR BUY. THE OTHER ITEMS ARE ALL OK. THANKS THE STANNARDS Q: Hi there seems to be another motorhome for sale like yours being sold by standards5, your page comes up and then changes to a different price person etc, but same van, also different item number, please advise 26-Jul-09 A: THIS LISTING IS ILLEGAL & NOTHING TO DO WITH MY SHOP OR OTHER LISTINGS AND IS BEING DEALT WITH BY EBAY. PLEASE DONOT ATTEMPT TO BID OR BUY WHILE IT IS BEING SORTED OUT. THANKS THE STANNARDS

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
i have just ran a full scan and no malware was reported?:RollEyes:

OP
OP
T

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
I've had this reply from the email addy:-

Hello D.M.,
I know that you have many choices on eBay and I appreciate that you contacted me.
I'm a Spanish person and I hope you understand my English because I don't write or talk English very well even if I lived and worked in United Kingdom for 2 years.
I was forced to move back to my home in Barcelona, Spain and I took the camper with me, because we had to many things to carry.
The camper was gently used by me only and it is in perfect conditions, the motor home is still registered in United Kingdom !
The motorhome is in excellent condition, the bodywork is immaculate, no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent.I am the registered keeper and there is no outstanding finance on the motorhome, also the motorhome comes with a full service history.
Pick-up is available also. Shipping from Barcelona can be arranged at a very best value (maximum 700 pounds and half it will be covered by me) !
I want this transaction to be as smooth as possible so I will only close the sale trough eBay for our own protection.
Anyway if you are really interested in this motorhome and you need more photos and details please reply ASAP because I have a lot of interested customers!
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Sincerely

BEST REGARDS
Stephen Charles Binnie

Link Removed

My worry is that anyone would think that I am thick enough to fall for this!!

Reminds me of a note my 7 year old wrote to his teacher excusing his lack of homework and gave himself away by signing it :- Love, Alan.
I was called in to the school to explain the fact that my son regarded his teachers as soft enough to believe the note but no one asked about the homework!

OP
OP
T

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
sorry - I managed to post the same thing twice!!
Drink induced I think, or maybe just senile!

Last edited:
M

Mike-H

Deleted User
He`s right, you have choices:

Tell him you are in Barcelona next week and would like to view,

Ask for recent photos of odd places (parts of engine, chassis etc)

Or just outright tell him he is a fraudster.

Ebay don`t care, they just want peoples money.

OP
OP
T

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Latest email from 'Stephen':-

Hi again ,

Check this photos link : Link Removed

The motorhome is in Barcelona, Spain, we can not use it here because is very difficult to drive it here because here we use the right side of the road and left hand cars.
I went to a local dealer and they said they can only give me 2850 EUR, because the steering wheel is on the right side and here in Spain nobody will buy it, so they need to break it and sell the parts, this why I have decided to sell it alone.
At the moment I am on vacation and I will be back in the Spain on 21 August.
The motorhome is in very good condition, no leaks or any other form of damages, serviced only on Mercedes!
The camper is still registered in UK!
You will receive the full service book and all the documents that you need to register the camper in your name !
I chose to ship with DAS (dependable auto shippers) and I put the camper in their warehouse before leaving in vacantion, the price for transport agreement with the DAS, it is about 700 GBP, which includes insurance during transport. (half of the delivery price, it will be covered by me), so that the final price of the motorhome will be 5850 + 350 (half of the delivery charges) = 6200 GBP.
At this time, the motorhome is at DAS and was inspected by an eBay representative and you have the following options:
(eBay will manage the financial part of this deal, I will only close this deal using ebay, and not outside of ebay)

1 - Send the payment to eBay by bank transfer !
After that I will begin the delivery process, you will receive the camper in maximum 9 days, after receiving of the camper you will have 7 inspection days, and you will have to release the money from eBay in order for me to pick them up.
If something is different from the one I just described DAS will take the camper back and eBay will send you your money within 24 hours, but this will not be the case.
2 - With 1000 GBP deposit at eBay, I can keep the motorhome until I'll be back from vacation (21 August) and you'll need to come to Barcelona, Spain so that we can close the deal in person.

If you choose first option, you need to know:
-- Payment by bank transfer, you will send the payment directly to an ebay account.
-- Shipping will take no longer then 9 days and the camper will be delivered where you want in UK !

I need a fast and smoothly transaction without any kind of complications and I think I have done my best to provide you with a fast and very safe solution !

If you decide to buy my motorhome please give me the following details:
eBay user id :
Your full name :
Delivery address:
Your phone number:

What I do with these details?
I will send your details to eBay in order to open case with them regarding our deal, after that you will be in touch with eBay, they will send you the invoice of payment and everything that you need to know, in order for you to finish the financial part of this transaction.
Best Regards and I will wait your email ASAP.

BEST REGARDS
Stephen Charles Binnie

Link Removed

This was his reply when I said my sons would pick it up in Barcelona!

I thought it worth following up just to demonstrate how these people operate and to warn others.

If it is getting boring I will stop!

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Fasinating!
I had heard about this type of fraud and the 'item with the shipping company' bit but I've never seen the full story. Thanks for letting me know how they operate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back