geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi im still in the stage of looking for a MH but noticed on ebay some incredible bargains to be had. Also that they seem to be listed by the same seller stating its not his but selling for a friend, each one listed has same type of layout in the description but with a differing contact email address.

Whats your opinion, would i be better buying from a dealer

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Before you buy try asking on here (y)post a link (y)People will not jump on your purchase but will give good knowledgeable advise
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi
There are honest sellers on ebay but an awful lot of scammers too.

A good rule of thumb is - if it's too good to be true, it is!

If you post a link on here to a van you like the look of there's plenty here that can spot a scam at a hundred paces!

Upvote 0

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Follow your gut feeling - you can already smell the rat, steer well clear !

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As above - that is where we can really help by looking at and alerting to any dodgy ones, or something that might merit a closer look.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Good advice, i think il steer clear, whats your opinion about dealers. I know they need to make profit but some vans have been nearly £4k more expensive than private sellers

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hi im still in the stage of looking for a MH but noticed on ebay some incredible bargains to be had. Also that they seem to be listed by the same seller stating its not his but selling for a friend, each one listed has same type of layout in the description but with a differing contact email address.

Whats your opinion, would i be better buying from a dealer

I think we've noticed the same "seller" I looked at "other things I'm selling " and a whole list of Motorhomes, but claims to be selling just the one for a friend.
I sent a message asking to view one of the vans, never got a reply.

Don't touch anyone who says
They'll Deliver a van
Ebay will hold the money until you're satisfied ( they don't hold money)
They can't show you the van because they're away/ it's in the Scottish Isles/ in Spain.

So many scams about.
Whether private or dealer, see the van and all it's paperwork. I'd do an HPI check too.

It's frustrating I know. I've sold my motorhome, cannot find the right vehicle, at the right price in the right place but it takes time. Worth taking the time to get it right.
If you pay upfront you're NOT protected and won't see your money again.

Upvote 0

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
bought our first MH on ebay three years ago an 05 with reasonable milage for £14000, we are only parting with it because of the layout, sorry to part with it as it has taken us all round europe three times totally trouble free and thats alot to be thankful for. We want a static bed and are in the process of down sizing, to a bungalow, rabbit hutch!!!!! so have bought a new MH and got £18,000 in part exchange, but yes we did see lots of dodgy ads, just be careful is the thing I guess.

Upvote 0

firebird123

Free Member
Nov 9, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
i am a newbie
Good advice, i think il steer clear, whats your opinion about dealers. I know they need to make profit but some vans have been nearly £4k more expensive than private sellers
Have a look on "Preloved.com" theyseem genuine sellers

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

Motorhome dealers are no differant to car dealers, they have to make a profit to exist, if you dont need "hand holding/ warranty /part exchange /easy finnace" go the private route, if not the dealers are out there and like car dealers theres very ones and very iffy ones. I personly buy and sell privately

Upvote 0

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Dodgy sellers pop up all over the place, wherever you look always approach with caution and if you smell a rat trust your nose !

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
there are small dealers about,that don't have the overhead's of the large ones and sell somewhere in-between dealer and private prices and although you don't get fancy guarantee at least you know where to take it back to and probably have as much chance of getting anything put right as at the big ones

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have seen a previous post on here a few weeks ago where a MH was being sold 'by a friend' at a low price

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Woohoo possible van in sight, going to see it on friday. Is there a text type reg check for MH to see if its stolen or got any hp against it

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
HPI check really the only thing, but someone still got caught out on a van that was a category D write off but only declared as such just after it was sold. Caveat Emptor - ask loads of questions

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Woohoo possible van in sight, going to see it on friday. Is there a text type reg check for MH to see if its stolen or got any hp against it
Why not give us details so we can give in the 'web once over' for you and see if there's anything which needs investigation ...

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
All from this seller ( and his user name is also suss for a genuine dealer) look way too cheap.
Also location is given as just UK--- usually a giveaway for a scam.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/xxhayatxx...avans_Motorhomes&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

The caravan listed at 5k one year old is about £20k new, more if it has high spec.

Entire lot scam. Removed by Ebay. "Alice" replied to my Ebay msg but not via Ebay. " the van is in Scotland, I'm away working" and pay into Ebay and they hold your money .

Funny as soon as I say my brother the ex copper will pick up the van and pay cash they go very, very quiet............

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back