Eau Non Potable ? (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
at 0.16 cent (14p) a bottle it works for me. Water has to be contained and transported somehow, and I have the added benefit of a reliable source. I would like the see all industry become increasingly environmentally friendly, and I also wish to drink clean water.

How do you know it's a reliable source?

How do you know tap water is a less reliable source?

You've only got the bottled water company's word for it that they don't just fill all the bottles they sell from the same tap they use to rinse their toilet cassettes :whistle:

Or it could have been sat in some warehouse somewhere for a year undergoing big temperature fluctuations creating ideal conditions for all sorts of microbes to grow in it (y)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I also wish to drink clean water.
as we all do..

water from the tap in most European countries is fresh and clean.., potable.. it has to be by law..
if your tank is clean you have nothing to fear .. if don't trust your tank, or the source, fit a Nature Pure filter

Google 'contaminated bottle water'

Broken Link Removed

you may be surprised

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How do you know it's a reliable source?

How do you know tap water is a less reliable source?

You've only got the bottled water company's word for it that they don't just fill all the bottles they sell from the same tap they use to rinse their toilet cassettes :whistle:

Or it could have been sat in some warehouse somewhere for a year undergoing big temperature fluctuations creating ideal conditions for all sorts of microbes to grow in it (y)
No wish to argue about water, but OK the water was pure when it left the factory or whatever you call a water place, for both sorts ,but hopefully no one has been cleaning their toilets with the sealed bottles.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
as we all do..

water from the tap in most European countries is fresh and clean.., potable.. it has to be by law..
if your tank is clean you have nothing to fear .. if don't trust your tank, or the source, fit a Nature Pure filter

Google 'contaminated bottle water'

Broken Link Removed

you may be surprised

Or buy bottled water for a few pence ... it's easy to store and chill and it's probably going to be fine to drink.

It's a choice... and not an expensive one.

Also I'm sure the water producers have to abide by laws too... to ensure quality and cleanliness.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Not wanting to be "holier than tho" but I don't mind paying a couple of Euro to fill the tank up if that is what is expected by the provider. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind not paying if there is just a free tap but if the idea is that you pay for what you use to save the community picking up the tab then I can happily do that too.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got nothing in particular against bottled water, I've even been known to buy the odd bottle, I just find the idea that anyone seriously believes it's "fresher" or "purer" or "cleaner" than what comes out of a tap absolutely hilarious.

It's one of those brilliant marketing campaigns that people have fallen for hook line and sinker.

Eddie's video of the brilliant Peckham Spring episode of OFAH says it all really.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can't believe that anyone genuinely thought there were 2 separate feeds to the water taps in a bourne ... really???? Is it April Fool's day already ...:D

There are times when we've got water from aires where there was only one tap for 'all' uses (not a bourne), but ONLY if it is clean and we then give it a good 'sterilise' both outside AND in however we wouldn't normally use a toilet cassette tap to get water regardless of whether it was marked potable or not!

We would, though, use a tap in a cemetery ... so long as it's got mains pressure and the 'neighbours' don't complain! :D

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I can't believe that anyone genuinely thought there were 2 separate feeds to the water taps in a bourne ... really???? Is it April Fool's day already ...:D

no, not April fool's day .... :rolleyes:

.. in France you will often find taps in villages that are marked 'Eau Non Potable' ..

so while unlikely, it's not impossible that a bourne could have two water supplies.. 'potable' and 'non potable'.. particularly the older artisanal bournes that were build years ago..

Example on Non Potable water supply
eau-non-potable-a2c5j8.jpg

another.. sign could be missed..

french-sign-reads-not-drinking-water-grand-anse-reunion-island-french-d3m0rc.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're in Sainte Maxime today, across the bay from St Tropez for anyone who doesn't know, and walking around the town we came across a fountain/trough/pond type thing under a bit of a shelter. That had signs up saying Eau non Potable.

No idea why though.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Our modus operandi with 'non potable' taps - having realised a number of years ago that it's one water supply in 99.9999999999999% of cases, is to wait patiently away from the borne in question whilst keeping it visible. You wait for however many other motorhomers to fill their containers which washes the tap with gallons of fresh water - and then go and fill ours.

It's a right PITA if someone happens to want to empty their cassette while you're waiting though!

We don't 'always' do this and have no objection to buying a jeton - but if you have to walk a mile to the Mairie and it's only open on Tuesdays plus we're short of water - fine!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
some of the non potable water in villages etc are font or spring water thats not been tested or what ever.
in spain you can very often see a plate on the fonts telling you that the water as been tested and when . it lists the test results of the water . if safe it tells you if not non potable again .
france tends not to test many of its fonts .

Reactions: DBK

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We're in Sainte Maxime today, across the bay from St Tropez for anyone who doesn't know, and walking around the town we came across a fountain/trough/pond type thing under a bit of a shelter. That had signs up saying Eau non Potable.

No idea why though.
Sounds like where they used to do the clothes washing communally.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there still are lots of village washroom type places .
we still use some of them although we do have a twintub . they are great places to meet locals . plus its good to use the old fashioned ribbed wash shelves .
mind i like morocco you can still buy wash boards .
i have fond memories of my mum playing washboard in a local skiffle group.
i can see her now . great times .

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Funnily when I try to make you lot understand that grey waters and black waters go the same way... with or without chemical ...you don't want to believe me. I was given confirmation of this by the workers in charge of the new pipes in front of my house. ...And no, they were not kidding !;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Funnily when I try to make you lot understand that grey waters and black waters go the same way... with or without chemical ...you don't want to believe me. I was given confirmation of this by the workers in charge of the new pipes in front of my house. ...And no, they were not kidding !;)
I believe you Frankie ... it's the same at home for us, we're in a property that was first built around 1816 and obviously over the years when mains drainage was installed it was the one pipe system, it tends to be only for newer properties that you have separate systems.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no ,even now grey and black go down the same pipes in uk .
only rain water from your gutters etc go seperate . and road flood water.
grey water is washing etc water .
in the ideal world chemical toilets shouldnt be put down our house toilet drains but hopefully its so little that the rest thins the chemicals down .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
no ,even now grey and black go down the same pipes in uk .
only rain water from your gutters etc go seperate . and road flood water.
grey water is washing etc water .
in the ideal world chemical toilets shouldnt be put down our house toilet drains but hopefully its so little that the rest thins the chemicals down .
Sorry to confuse, I meant for newer properties rain/run-off water is separate to normal household water, but for us the whole lot goes into the same drain.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mine never had any mains drains when it was built 100 yrs ago . unfortunately a few years before i moved here the riginal owners decided as the mains went by to join in . we have a dissused septic in the garden . not worth using now as once on mains you have to stay on it .
at one time it had bore hole drinking water .
wish it was still like it was. now i use rain /gutter water for toilet flushing that saves a few bob .
it should go to soak away but that would be a waste . ha ha .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back