Eau Non Potable ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
On many aires the borne has two water outlets.. Potable and Non Potable..

Potable water is usually €2 per 100 lts.. The Non potable is generally free and is provided to flush toilet cassettes ..

But is the Non Potable really Non Potable ?

While on the aire at Le Crotoy, I saw lots of people filling up bottles, watering cans etc from the 'free' non potable tap, so I asked one of the French campers if it was safe.. .. he said that both were the same water..

The only difference was the tap.. the non-potable was a push tap with no thread on the spout..

I have since looked inside the back of borne that was open, and it only had one water supply.. feeding both potable and non potable taps..

I don't mind paying €2 but if you don't want to move the van, and just to fill using a watering can or as I use, an Aquroll, it's not very handy..

so.. I used the non potable.. filled up every day with it.. no ill effects ..

your choice..

Le Crotoy aire

IMG_0858.jpg
IMG_0858 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
When uncertain, I use tablets in the water, as I use direct from the tank without boiling. Even in Morocco, where I think some deliveries was well water, with no ill effects.
Also wiping the tap may help.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never used any type of filter, always drink from the tank and we've not had any ill effects.

Thanks @scotjimland , this is useful to know.

I've got no problem paying the €2 or buying a jeton under normal circumstances but knowing that the supplies are the same is handy as a back up if for whatever reason we ever can't get anything from the Potable tap.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We also spray with anti bacterial cleaner before using a tap, irrespective of how the water supply is labelled.

A simple precaution

We also drink the water from our onboard tank with no further treatment

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the non-potable side is meant for cassette flushing but I've always assumed it was the same supply.

We did come across one supply in France a few weeks ago which had leaves coming out with the water! I think it came from a tank with a badly fitting lid. We are still alive. :)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If I knew what a bourne or a jeton were,I might have learned something
Do these items not have an English equivalent name if so why not use em :rolleyes:
Practicing your French on the French makes far more sense ;)
ps yes I can Google, but then i wouldn't need this forum would I:doh:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Do these items not have an English equivalent name if so why not use em :rolleyes:

I'm not sure either of them do have one word translations.

Why type "motorhome water and waste service point" or "token used to dispense fresh water from the motorhome water and waste service point" when "borne" and "jeton" are perfectly serviceable words that everybody knows the meaning of? :rolleyes:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Geo the bourne is the machine where you get your water, empty your waste grey and black! A jeton is a token or coin!

No wonder your Avatar is Fred Flintstone! :LOL:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Anyone drinking water that isnt contained within a brew is MAD. Why drink the stuff when much better alternatives like Lucozade are available?(y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
On many aires the borne has two water outlets.. Potable and Non Potable..

Potable water is usually €2 per 100 lts.. The Non potable is generally free and is provided to flush toilet cassettes ..

But is the Non Potable really Non Potable ?

While on the aire at Le Crotoy, I saw lots of people filling up bottles, watering cans etc from the 'free' non potable tap, so I asked one of the French campers if it was safe.. .. he said that both were the same water..

The only difference was the tap.. the non-potable was a push tap with no thread on the spout..

I have since looked inside the back of borne that was open, and it only had one water supply.. feeding both potable and non potable taps..

I don't mind paying €2 but if you don't want to move the van, and just to fill using a watering can or as I use, an Aquroll, it's not very handy..

so.. I used the non potable.. filled up every day with it.. no ill effects ..

your choice..
Le Crotoy aire
You obviously missed the change over valve in the cabinet Jim it works on the pressure drop and allows the drinking water to flush before dispensing. lt will probably take a week or two for all those worms and bacteria to grow long enough to show any symptoms. Look out for a tickle in the back of the throat.:)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Yep, they're bu**ers those French folks, they will insist on using their own language. I'm sure they do it just to annoy the Brits

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Yep, they're bu**ers those French folks, they will insist on using their own language. I'm sure they do it just to annoy the Brits
Your right! They should be made to learn English at school, as they do in Norway, a sensible country. After all, English is the world's language of choice.(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I always ask myself the question do I want to use a tap that I know has been shoved down lots of toilet cassettes and splashed with the s**t in them, all to save a Euro or two? And the answer is always "no", so I pay up.

And yes I do clean the tap with spray and antiseptic wipes even on the potable side, but you will never get all the crap (literally) out of the non-potable.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I'm not sure either of them do have one word translations.

Why type "motorhome water and waste service point" or "token used to dispense fresh water from the motorhome water and waste service point" when "borne" and "jeton" are perfectly serviceable words that everybody knows the meaning of? :rolleyes:

My sincere apologies I hadn't realised it was a Rockwell product

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Simply fit a Nature Pure water filter

It eliminates everything harmful including bacteria so if your unlucky and do pick up tank of dodgy water for whatever reason, your safe

I regularly pump water into the camper from a nearby stream or river now!

Reactions: DBK

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Never drink water direct from the tank, even though I know it's clean, unless it's been boiled first. Just a personal preference.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The French guy parked near us doesn't seem to worry about sticking the tap inside his loo cassette to fill up before rinsing it. This is the same rap that people use for their fresh water. I struggle to understand why peeps think that it is acceptable to contaminate drinking water taps.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I've seen drinking and non drinking taps in France, that when you look at the connections behind the they wall are connected to the same pipe!

I cant see any company running two water supplies to a remote service point, the sign is simply to discourage you from using the free water - the French seem to realise this.

I have also seen the NOT FOR DRINKING water on petrol station forecourts in the UK. I am pretty sure we only provide one quality of water in this country and you can drink it all.

After 5 years we are still KO !!!:Eeek:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We don't drink from the tank either (and were still here) on the few occasions we do drink water we drink the chilled bottled water from the fridge ... which incidentally is what the dogs drink too.

I know.. I know

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I did fill up once from a standpipe at a farm stopover only to find later it was fed from an uncovered storage tank which collected the run off from various farm building roofs ..... including bird droppings etc.:rolleyes:

We suffered no apparent ill effects but did fit a Nature Pure filter soon after.:D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Quite possible the borne is designed for two separate supplies....but that means more expense installing two sets of pipework.
Easier and cheaper to rely on folks believing one is non potable.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have also seen the NOT FOR DRINKING water on petrol station forecourts in the UK. I am pretty sure we only provide one quality of water in this country and you can drink it all.
If it's an old service station the pipework COULD be lead or even a simple concealed hose pipe if on the building wall.
Even hospitals etc have potable and non potable taps.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
we don't drink or cook with water from the tank, we buy the bottled water from the supermarkets when in France. 6 large bottles for less than a euro. Mostly buy cristaline or whatever is the cheapest.
jlbn04_1100x1100.jpg

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Bottled water is the ultimate corporate ruse: taking something we can get for free and selling it back to us for up to 2000x the price.

On top of this fraudulent facet of the trade, it also contributes, entirely unnecessarily, to resources waste and global warming. Not only do companies have to make the bottles, expending 17,000,000 barrels of oil and an extortionate amount of water in the process, but they then have to pump and process fresh water into the bottles before transporting them all over the world in refrigerated vehicles. Considering 200 billion bottles of water are consumed globally each year, that’s a lot of unnecessary greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere.

https://insinkerator.co.uk/uk/page/environmental-cost-of-bottled-water

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we don't drink or cook with water from the tank, we buy the bottled water from the supermarkets when in France. 6 large bottles for less than a euro. Mostly buy cristaline or whatever is the cheapest.View attachment 117859
That's what we do, no bother then what's in the tank, plus gives us a bit more water capacity, simples(y):)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Bottled water is the ultimate corporate ruse: taking something we can get for free and selling it back to us for up to 2000x the price.

On top of this fraudulent facet of the trade, it also contributes, entirely unnecessarily, to resources waste and global warming. Not only do companies have to make the bottles, expending 17,000,000 barrels of oil and an extortionate amount of water in the process, but they then have to pump and process fresh water into the bottles before transporting them all over the world in refrigerated vehicles. Considering 200 billion bottles of water are consumed globally each year, that’s a lot of unnecessary greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere.

It's not free if you are paying two euros at the water thingy:(

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that

at 0.16 cent (14p) a bottle it works for me. Water has to be contained and transported somehow, and I have the added benefit of a reliable source. I would like the see all industry become increasingly environmentally friendly, and I also wish to drink clean water.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back