Eaten half alive by a ..........

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by OddSocks, Aug 26, 2014.

1. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

So what was it.

I woke up to find I have about 60 or more bites all over by back, back of arms and ankles. I worried that something other than my beautiful wife had snuck in to bed with me. Se we washed all the bedclothes on Hot and hyng them in the sun all day. Next day I woke up to about 100 bites all over me. Wife not so badly affected, very few bites. This is very odd as I never usually get bitten, and she is usually covered in bites.

I asked our host and she told me that in Portugal there is this tiny little spider which bites you a lot....

So - is this true? Is there a tiny spider here which bites you all over, leaving small bites that look just like flea bites. Or was it the sofa her two dogs sit on, and some other kind of nibbler? I did spend many more hours on that sofa than my wife did. Hmmmmmm!

I am afraid I am a little suspicious......

• Like Like x 1
  2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Bloody midges at Kielder Water got me like that. I counted 50 or 60 bites on my arms and legs. Her ladyship - not a single one.

3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Spiders........... dunno....... not to the extent you have described....:)

Flea`s more like... :(

• Like Like x 2
  4. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

Could be bed bugs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

:Eeek: Heck you are not having the best week are you , hope they are not bed bugs.

• Like Like x 2
  6. buttons

buttons Funster

Any wild or domestic animals around, OM could be right.

7. OddSocks

2 dogs and a donkey, buttons.

Not bed bugs as the wife would have been eaten alive, she suffers terribly from any kind of insect they love her.

8. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Put a piece of "White" paper on the floor by your bed...... and have a look in ten minutes... ;)(y)

9. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Blo*dy anarchists!! They get in through the hab door when your not looking!! Check the wardrobe first, you can soon spot one. Their thin, wear hoodies, and sometimes a gas mask. The male ones carry packs on their backs, and the female ones don't wear bras!.
    Easy to get rid of. Just wear a normal British police riot helmet, and Whoooooooooooooosh, gone as fast as a frog up a pump! :):)(y)(y););)

• Like Like x 5
  10. simbadog

simbadog Funster

Sounds to me like you've been gassed :Eeek: The red spots are just a reaction, have you checked to see if your wifes very expensive antique jewelry is still there? :Smile:

• Like Like x 5
  11. JJ

JJ Funster

I hope you haven't been hanging out in rough places... :rofl:

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 5
  12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Sounds like fleas - they are very keen on ankles if they are hopping around on the carpet. But are you sure they are bites and it is not just some sort of rash?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Hmmmmmmm......A rash sounds serious. Try Blue Unction. You can get it anywhere. (y)(y)

14. stcyr

stcyr Funster

"Chiggers are the juvenile form (larvae) of a certain type of mite of the family Trombiculidae. Mites are arachnids (like spiders and ticks).

Chiggers are found throughout the world. They most commonly live in forests, grassy fields, gardens, parks, and in moist areas around lakes or rivers. Most of the larvae that cause chigger bites are found on plants that are relatively close to the ground surface, because they require a high level of humidity for survival."

They are very prolific this year after an extremely mild winter. They do not burrow into skin but are very hard to eradicate. They are virtually invisible - the adults are like tiny red spiders, smaller than the average flea ....
    "
    What do chiggers look like?
    Chiggers are barely visible to the naked eye (their length is less than 1/150th of an inch). A magnifying glass may be needed to see them. They are red in color and may be best appreciated when clustered in groups on the skin. The juvenile forms have six legs, although the (harmless) adult mites have eight legs."

• Like Like x 4
  15. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Spiders!
    I kept getting bites while at home in bed over the last week. No bed bugs, no fleas and not mosquitoes because I swell up like a balloon with them. These were small red bites that itched like hell.
    Mrs A, who could walk through a tropical rain forest full of biting bugs and come out without a mark, had a bite too!
    I searched the bedroom everywhere with a torch looking for flying bugs, walking bugs, crawling bugs and anything else that could bite. We have two dogs, searched them for fleas too. Nothing. But I noticed a spider over the bed for a few nights, just when I got bitten. Chucked the spider out, no more bites!
    Coincidence?

• Like Like x 3
  16. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Self-Care at Home

There have been many home remedies reported to treat chigger bites, but many of these are based upon the incorrect belief that the chiggers burrow into and reside in the skin. Home remedies, such as bleach, nail polish, turpentine, or alcohol applied to the bites in an attempt to "suffocate" the chiggers are not effective since the mites do not actually reside within the skin.

The only effective treatments are anti-itch creams and medications.

• Like Like x 2
  17. simbadog

simbadog Funster

Go over the room with one of these [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  18. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Some years ago, I was with a group from the UK, doing a survey of the old German gun emplacements and deep bunkers at Deauville, Normandy. (Hobby) On the second day, my wrist came up like a balloon. PANIC. No prob's, said our local guy, and swabbed some raw alcohol onto my wrist. In an hour the lump had gone......."araignée", said our guide....."Spiddddre...."

19. movan

movan Funster Life Member

OMG. Why does the word SPIDER keep coming up..... are we being invaded? There never used to be spider bites did there? Terry got bit in Ilfracombe and it was said it might be a spider bite. The rest of us were ok.

What's going on? I'm itchy now. :(

20. OddSocks

Chiggers!!! lol Not sure. I do know that since we set off to new pastures we have not had any more bites. Other than the odd mosquito, but they come up in a completely different kind of way. Do you get chiggers in Portugal?

• Like Like x 2