Easy One Pot One Ring Cooking.....

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by dippingatoe, Feb 8, 2015.

1. dippingatoe

dippingatoe Read Only Funster

I usually cook what I have available using one ring and a thick bottomed, deep saute/frying pan with a lid. This worked out well today and was easy to do so I thought I would post the rather rough and ready 'recipe'

Chicken Chorizo with Chargrilled Veg

Per Chicken Breast
    -chop and slice a medium onion - I used red onions as they are a bit sweeter
    -add a tablespoon olive oil to pan and 'sweat' the onions - i.e. don't fry them till brown, just gently with the pan lid on till looking transparent
    -while onions are cooking chop about one inch of chorizo per chicken breast, you can double this if you like it spicy and flavoursome - I use Lidl's chorizo which keeps for ages in the fridge
    -add chopped chorizo, stir into the softened onions, then place the chicken breast on top
    -add a small handful of frozen chargrilled veg. You could use sliced fresh peppers and courgettes in you prefer.
    -bring up to good temperature with lid on then turn to lowest or just above.

Thats it really

Leave until chicken breasts are tender and no pink juices come out when tested with a knife

The 'gravy' will be very tasty but thin. You can either remove everything bar the liquid and boil down rapidly till it looks the consistency you like make sure you watch it so it doesnt burn, or if you prefer mix a teaspoonful of cornflour with cold water until it is like thin cream, and stir into gravy whilst pan is off heat. Then return to full heat stirring until thickened.

You will need -
    Chicken Breasts
    Onions
    Frozen Char Grilled Veg or fresh Peppers and Courgettes
    Chorizo
    Olive Oil - butter or corn oil would do.
    Cornflour if you like a thickened sauce

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 22
  2. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Sounds delicious.

I 'invented something the other day.. from leftovers..

Steam a pointy cabbage

Meanwhile, grill some chops. Lamb is best but pork works

In another pan, use a little oil to fry some beetroot slices. I use the precooked ones. Once the beetroot is changing colour, turn them over and add some chopped bacon pieces

Once the beetroot has started to Brown on the 2nd side, toss fry the beetroot and bacon until all the bacon is pink and cooked then add about 100ml of double cream to the pan. Stir and leave on a high heat while you create a bed on the plates with the cabbage. Reduce the cream stirring well until you have a thick sauce around your beetroot and bacon then serve over the cabbage accompanied by the chops.

Pretty colour and delicious but I just relised hardly so single pot.. sorry

• Like Like x 2
  3. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

It's not really a one pot, one ring recipe if you're using a microwave! Wouldn't be any use to us as we don't have a microwave in the van (nor want one!).

However sounds tasty and I'm sure you could just add the spinach and steam for a few minutes.

Denise

4. dippingatoe

I was just going to add a ps

I was cooking 4 chicken breasts. One for me today, one to go cold for slicing tomorrow and 2 portions for the freezer, but had I been going to eat it all tonight I would just put the spinach on the top and cook for the last few minutes.

But the spinach was only a suggestion. The recipe was for the chicken really :(

I must admit I love my microwave never having had one before :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

If Phoebe is a dog, they shouldn't really eat onions.

1. Onions contain an ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to cats and dogs. The ingestion of onions causes a condition called hemolytic anemia, which is characterized by damage to the red blood cells. Onion toxicity can cause the red blood cells circulating through your pet's body to burst.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dippingatoe

Gosh - I wish I hadn't posted this now(n).

I have kept Great Danes since the 1960's and most of mine live to eleven or twelve. I have feed them cooked bones, raw bones (when everyone said that would kill them) salty food, chocolate, well, just about anything really. I think she is looking pretty good for an old one on my regime.

Uig Beach Isle of Lewis Outer Hebrides

• Like Like x 9
  7. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

@dippingatoe from my experience with retrievers and Spaniels

A. If they want it they will eat it
    B. If they eat it and it makes them feel unwell next time they will leave it in the bowl.

Actually B isn't true of retrievers who will steal and eat anything left unguarded whether it's chicken, onions or soap... But I'm assuming Danes are brighter than retrievers.

• Like Like x 7
  8. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

We had great dane fed him chocolate didn't know then, lived until 12 broke my heart

• Like Like x 3
  9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

you beat me to posting the same. when youve seen dogs die from eating onions, grapes or chocolate, you would never risk it again. its a horrible painful way to die

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

@dippingatoe thank you so much for this recipe, I've seen chorizo for sale in aldi/lidl but not bought any, no excuse now.

Beautiful dog too, same name as my daughter (y)

• Like Like x 3
  11. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Our Tosh used to break into the greenhouse and eat the grapes off the lower branches of the vine. Mind you, he was a retriever...

• Like Like x 1
  12. dippingatoe

Pleased you like the RECIPE :) and Phoebe of course

• Like Like x 2
  13. dippingatoe

Hi all have amended original post - to omit all referenced to DOGS and SPINACH & MICROWAVES - hope that pleases !

• Like Like x 6
  14. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Alternatively you could
    Microwave the dog & serve with Chicken & Spinach stuffing :reel:

• Like Like x 6
  15. dippingatoe

I have heard that is bad for dogs !

• Like Like x 2
  16. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Heinz tomato soup........:active::active::active:

Other soups are available !!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Setters are the same as spaniels, or at least ours was.

And strawberries and carrots. The dog used to pull the fleece off the strawberry beds and eat the ripe ones. She would also dig up carrots and eat them.......

• Like Like x 2
  18. dippingatoe

Okay - here's another recipe - this one microwave and dog free!

I used Chicken Breast again as I normally have that around, but it would work with prawns or fish. In that case cook the veg first then add the marinated fish

So you will need to marinate the chicken breast first. You could put it in a polythene bag in the fridge - I just put the marinade and chicken in the pan I was going to cook in

-Spread the breast with 1/2 teaspoon of Very Lazy Garlick and 1/2 teaspoon Very Lazy Ginger.- You could use fresh chopped but I didn't have any
    -Pour over a bit more than a dessertspoonful of Soy Sauce - I like the dark one
    -A tablespoon of oil (peanut oil is best but any will do)
    -Three squirts of chilli oil - again you could use fresh chopped chilli if you have it.
    -Leave to marinade for about 30 mins turning occasionally. If using the polythene bag in fridge method then just mush it about a bit every so often
    -While it is marinading peel and slice one medium onion per breast. You can slice it in straight in the pan with the chicken.

Turn the heat onto high, lightly brown the chicken breast turning once and stirring the onions so they don't burn. Turn the heat down and cook till chicken is almost tender, with no pink juices coming out when sharp knife is inserted.

Add vegetables. I used some sliced red, yellow and green pepper, and some mange tout, but you could vary the veg to something else - say mushrooms or baby sweetcorn.

If chicken and veg is not going to be filling enough add some stir fry noodles

Then cook for 5 to 10 minutes till vegetables are done to your preference.

Serve and enjoy

For one chicken breast you will need

Medium onion, sliced
    Garlic
    Ginger
    Chilli
    Soy Sauce
    Peppers
    Mange Tout
    Stir Fry Noodles if wanting to bulk the meal out.

I marinaded and cooked two chicken breasts - one of which I will leave to go cold and have with salad or as a sandwich

• Like Like x 4
  19. dippingatoe

Here's another one - maximum washing up involves 1 knife, 1 chopping board, 1 spoon, 1 frying pan, 1 lid (could you use the plate you will serve up on)

CHICKEN BREAST STUFFED WITH ONION, BACON, MUSHROOM AND CHEESE

Ingredients for 2 people (if solo, one can be cooked and left for another day or frozen if you have a freezer)

2 chicken breasts
    2 medium onions (I used red but white would do)
    2 medium mushrooms
    2 oz of cheese - brie is good or any softish cheese - stilton, dolcelatte, wenselydale - use your imagination ( and you can use the drier bits round the edges, but don't use over-ripe brie with an ammonia taste
    1 rasher of bacon

-Slice onion and sweat gently in a good knob of butter (you could use any oil if you prefer)
    -Meanwhile finely slice the mushrooms and bacon then add to the pan.
    -When the onion is looking soft and transparent add the cheese cut into cubes and stir
    -Cut a "pocket" into the sides of the chicken breasts then using the spoon fill the pocket with the stuffing.
    -Put each breast back into the pan - if you have made too much stuffing take it out and put into the fridge for use as a topping for toast, pasta or a baked potato
    -Turn up heat for about 4-5 mins then carefully turn chicken breasts over and turn heat to minimum
    -Put whatever you want to serve them with on the top, such as fresh spinach leaves, green beans, mange tout, or quick cook noodles
    -Cover pan and leave to simmer until all is cooked to your liking (shouldn't take too long)
    -Remove everything bar the sauce which has formed
    -Reduce the sauce, or if you want something a bit more special add a dessertspoon of double cream and a small splash of whisky, brandy or any fortified wine such as sherry or port.
    -Increase the heat a bit and stir until the sauce looks like the sort of consistency you prefer

If you don't have some of the ingredients just leave them out -it will still work, with the exception of the chicken of course, and the onions, which can be substituted with a bit of garlic, or maybe spring onions.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Mmmmmmmm yum yum, thank you, like the sound of both of those. (y)

• Like Like x 2