Easy-Lifter, are they legal on a French MoHo in France (1 Viewer)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I know that if it is legal in the UK then it is legal to use one on a GB van in France and elsewhere in Europe. But I have a French Registered van and am looking to fit an Easy-Lifter while over for Peterborough. That's if Easy-Lifter answer my emails about supply. Unless anybody knows a stockist down south.
I have only managed to see the Yo trailers version which are built in France but although very well built and very expensive they are really only a trailer with a tie bar and caster wheels and are very long. I like the easy lifter because it is so short, less than a meter I think.
So does anybody know for sure if one would be stopped for using one on the back of a French van. I have no idea where to get a definitive answer and my French is not good enough to find out who would know. Or make the telephone call. Perhaps the French Motorhome Club.
Thanks for any help, or if anybody has one for sale perhaps, I could be interested.
Steve

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My take on it: it doesn't touch the road so normal rules regarding rear axle load, guarding a projection from the rear, and rear light visibility will apply. It's no different to a towbar mounted cycle rack. In fact it is a towbar mounted cycle rack.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Easy lifter make three types - a normal tow bar mounted motorcycle rack, a towbar mounted hydraulic lift motorcycle rack and the Hydra trail which has wheels.

Which one are you considering?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Perhaps @yodeli might be able to assist.

Frankie (from Balma) has helped out many members in the past with various French issues.

But I think she is on holiday at the moment in Portugal.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I don't know about the legalities but we see dozens of them travelling around in France. They, or similar models seem very popular.

I can see no reason why they should be illegal if properly fitted with lights, indicators, number plates etc.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks all and thanks @moulin 87 I had seen that one on the road but it is interesting that the wheels are not actually under the load so the weight will be split between van and trailer, not as good as HydroTrail which is 85%. I live near Narbonne so go in there quite often but have never seen these trailers/racks there but will take another look.
Logically I can see no reason why the Easy-Lifter shouldn't be totally legal. But the French officials always dislike anything not made in France. Hence the question and the hope that somebody had already been through the excercise.
After all, it took me six months and 1100 euros to get my nearly new German Hymer registered in France.
Steve

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As I understand it in France and many other European countries anything classed as a trailer has to be registered separately and have its own registration number and insurance. So I suspect it will depend upon whether or not the Hydra-trail fits the French legal definition for a trailer.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
As I understand it in France and many other European countries anything classed as a trailer has to be registered separately and have its own registration number and insurance. So I suspect it will depend upon whether or not the Hydra-trail fits the French legal definition for a trailer.

Only I think if the Gross vehicle Mass of the trailer is 500 kgs and more...

Reactions: Jim
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I know that if it is legal in the UK then it is legal to use one on a GB van in France and elsewhere in Europe. But I have a French Registered van and am looking to fit an Easy-Lifter while over for Peterborough. That's if Easy-Lifter answer my emails about supply. Unless anybody knows a stockist down south.
I have only managed to see the Yo trailers version which are built in France but although very well built and very expensive they are really only a trailer with a tie bar and caster wheels and are very long. I like the easy lifter because it is so short, less than a meter I think.
So does anybody know for sure if one would be stopped for using one on the back of a French van. I have no idea where to get a definitive answer and my French is not good enough to find out who would know. Or make the telephone call. Perhaps the French Motorhome Club.
Thanks for any help, or if anybody has one for sale perhaps, I could be interested.
Steve
Hi Steve!
I came back from Portugal yesterday evening, so not anymore on hols. I will go first on internet to see what is an easy lifter( even if the name says it all, i need to see one) then will give a few phone calls to find out for sure what is the answer to your question. Don t hesitate to give me a shout if i don t come back to you quickly. I tend to forget things these days!

Affectueusement
Frankie

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Not so for visitors or caravans would all have to be registered separately.

Belgian and Dutch caravans are registered separately, to the best of my knowledge, however I am not aware of any Brits being turned back at the border or pulled over and fined.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not so for visitors or caravans would all have to be registered separately.

Belgian and Dutch caravans are registered separately, to the best of my knowledge, however I am not aware of any Brits being turned back at the border or pulled over and fined.
I didn't suggest otherwise. The OP lives in France and has a French registered motorhome and was asking about the legality of attaching the Hyrdra trail to his French motorhome and using it in France. That is why I answered in the way that I did. ;)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I didn't suggest otherwise. The OP lives in France and has a French registered motorhome and was asking about the legality of attaching the Hyrdra trail to his French motorhome and using it in France. That is why I answered in the way that I did. ;)
O.k.

Accepted.

However, it looks as though this heading towards an "A frame" type controversy.

As we live in France for half of the year the matter is of real interest to us. Our motorhome is GB registered, our motorcycle is French registered. Gets complicated doesn't it!:cool:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi Steve!
I made a few searches this morning and started by asking the dealers here what they were allowed to do on French motorhomes. So here is the link to it.
Tell me if it's the same type of product you want to get fitted on yours.
If it's the case , then obviously no problem at all as French dealers do fit it, which means it is allowed here.
If it's different , let me know, I'll try to find more info!

Hope it helps everyone interested in this!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

EDIT:I can also phone to SAWIKO for more info!

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi Steve!
I made a few searches this morning and started by asking the dealers here what they were allowed to do on French motorhomes. So here is the link to it.
Tell me if it's the same type of product you want to get fitted on yours.
If it's the case , then obviously no problem at all as French dealers do fit it, which means it is allowed here.
If it's different , let me know, I'll try to find more info!

Hope it helps everyone interested in this!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

EDIT:I can also phone to SAWIKO for more info!

Hi Frankie,
Hope you had a good holiday in Portugal, we certainly enjoyed it there, now heading North through Spain. The "new" Hymer has performed very well indeed.
And thanks for your help with this problem.

The SAWIKO one you linked to is more of a rack the EasyLifter Hydra trail is a rack which is fixed to the tow bar and has two large caster wheels to support most of the weight of the scooter, which swivel like a shopping trolley, as the vehicle reverses or turns rather than following the vehicle like a trailer. The Hydra Trail is good because it takes most of the weight off the Motorhome. Here is a view of one in action

The are a couple of French makes similar, one by Yo Remorque http://www.yoremorques.fr/public/index.php which I have had a close look at which is a trailer with caster wheels but it has a stay bar to make it rigid but they say only to be used while reversing, the wheels are far back so much of the weight is on the vehicle.
Or another by FTG-Remorques which is more like the EasyLifter and fixed rigidly to the vehicle but again much of the weight is transferred to the vehicle. http://remorque-transversale-camping-car.blogspot.com.es/

As the UK one is substantially the same I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed to be used on a French Motorhome but as you know if something is not made in France and (conforms to the Norm) it tends to be considered illegal.

So I really don't know where the answer could be found except perhaps DREAL or the French Camping Car Club.

Any information you can find out would be fantastic. The other thing is whether the French consider it as a Trailer so being under 500kg would not need brakes or CT test or whether is is a supported rack so the weight would be included in the gross vehicle weight.
I am also thinking of getting a Tow Bar fitted in the UK as they are about half the price of France even for a type approved one. Would this again be picked up as not conforming to the norm during the CT test? Especially as we are Heavy Weight so need to use the Camion testing station.
Most gratefully,
Steve

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
@OldAgeTravellers
Yep MikeD sent a link to that video so I did have a look. And the people from Narbonne accessoires told me that SAWIKO was doing one similar. But of course I had no ideas where the differences stayed. I saw the wheels and thought , this must be the same.
So best to do now is to give a call to the DREAL, and to the yoremorque and also get in touch with the camping-car forums blokes, and ask. It might take a few days, as DREAL for example will only be open on Monday now. But I'll do my best to have a proper answer, one you can rely on for sure.
Last thing, I can pay a visit to my neighbours ..... the Gendarmes, and ask them what they know about this all. If you think of some other place I could ask, please let me know! I might not know them all.

FrankieXxxx

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
@yodeli
Hi Frankie you really are amazing. I think that DREAL and the Gendarmes must be the place to ask the question. If they don't know, who will! Just make sure that if you visit your neighbors, the Gendormes that they don't lock the door behind you. :(
I know it all seems a lot of worry for nothing, but it only needs some local Plod or whatever you French call them, to say "You can't do that there ere, credit card please" and it would spoil a good trip.
Thanks again,
Steve

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Hi @yodeli, if you look on the sawiko site, go to Nos Produits, then remorques, then those are similar to the Hydratrails in question. (y)

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi @yodeli, if you look on the sawiko site, go to Nos Produits, then remorques, then those are similar to the Hydratrails in question. (y)

I think the difference with the French one is that the wheels are still, while on the easy-lifter they have their own life (typical french way of saying it!)
I will phone Yo Remorque today and try to find out. I have to be clever in my way to ask this thing as if they understand it's not to have one of their products fitted on, they might not say the whole truth ...So .... Will think first lol
The one who will have the answer is DREAL, I agree with you Steve.
Will have to make sure it doesn't need its own plate too, that can be done via internet I would think.
Gendarmes... may be today... it's sunny and warm, they will feel all happy!:p;):D

Back to work now!
Catch you later!

Frankie :sun:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I confirm what has been said (can't remember now if it was Maison or Moulin87 who said it): you do not need a different plate as your "trailer" is under 250kgs. So just needs your motorhome's plate on.

LOI PLAQUE REMORQUE.png

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I phoned a few DREALs , and it seems that motorhomes' matters can only be discussed on Tuesdays.
I tried Toulouse first ...PAH .... why would they bother answering, It won't give them any money !
So tried a few others, and same answer everywhere : "OK the person in charge of this will be here tomorrow."

So .... we just have to wait!

Could not go to the Gendarmes this week end, I've been busy all the time.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I phoned a few DREALs , and it seems that motorhomes' matters can only be discussed on Tuesdays.
Oh Frankie, that is Soooo French! Are you sure they didn't say as long as there is not an "R" in the month as well;). You are such a sweetie persevering like this.
I have just waded through the 39 pages of discussion over on the Dark Side which finished in December 2015 with no real conclusion other than to be legal in the UK it should have suspension. So has anybody bought one recently, does it now have suspension?
From that discussion it seems that the Hydratrail does not really fit into the Construction and use Regulations in the UK.
It also seems that the owner is reluctant to help with questions and as I have found will never answer emails.
It is such a shame that such a brilliant piece of kit seems to be better (and cheaper) than the French versions which appear to transfer more weight on to the MoHo does not get good support from it's designer/manufacturer.
It seems to be exactly what I want/need but so many questions and doubts are making the decision very difficult.
Steve

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We bought one within the last three weeks and there is no suspension.

Surely if it needs suspension to be legal it makes it not fit for purpose?

I would have thought that, with the number there are on the roads now, that is unlikely. I certainly hope so!

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We bought one within the last three weeks and there is no suspension.
Surely if it needs suspension to be legal it makes it not fit for purpose?
I would have thought that, with the number there are on the roads now, that is unlikely. I certainly hope so!
Thanks for the reply, that is interesting it still has no suspension. The C&U regs say that there must be some form of springing between the wheels and frame. I have emailed twice and had no reply in a month. As an owner perhaps you should telephone him.
The whole legality comes down to, is it a supported rack or is it a trailer. If it is a rack Then it does not need suspension but the whole weight of the rack and scooter must be added to the GVW of the vehicle. If it is a trailer then it must have suspension but it comes within the allowable train weight of the vehicle but speed and lane restrictions of a trailer will apply. Also if it is a rack then the weight plate of the vehicle should possibly be changed to include the extra wheels of the chassis extension it has become.
A friend of mine has had Indespension Units welded to the bottom of the caster pivots of his and says it has totally transformed it. And stopped a lot of damage to his scooter from transmitted vibration with no suspension. But it seems such a shame to spend around £1,200 then void the warranty by welding suspension units on to it.

Sorry I am getting away from my original question about the legality in France because so many questions have arisen in my research about it's legality in the UK.
Steve

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
"You are such a sweetie persevering like this."

I am sure you are not the only forum member who thinks this. Frankie is a lovely young lady. (y)

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi Steve!

I found some info. I haven't forgotten you. Just had a few things in the way to keep you informed!

As you could imagine....It's not going to be easy.

First of all , you must find out if the easy-lifter comes with a europeen certificate of conformity.

If YES then you're sorted.

If NO

You must find its identification file and to find it, you must find a shop which sells it in France.I mean the english product sold in France!! Not a french equivalent.

You've then got to find out how it has been "receptionned" if the word exists in English (réceptionné in French). If it's associated to a trailer , then you've got to find out the category of it (changes according to the weight, and up to 500kgs).

I have to make more searches on UTAC.

Perpignan DREAL told me , never heard of this, would think it would not work here, unless I make a note on it.

So I gave him the name of it, but I also have to send a pic, with best angle to see the whole way of hooking it.

Now , your go, as soon as you know more , let me know!

Amicalement

Frankie (y):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back