nevcat

Free Member
Jun 9, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
white van conv!
Exp
??used to own a converted ambulance, since then we been caravanners for 12 years, just got back into
Hello lovely motorhomers! Not sure if we qualify to be in the community with our home-converted LDV high-top van (white van man family! Is that bad?) but was directed here by a post by allie summerville (thankyou) on another forum.
I'm looking for tips about places to stay and visit on our trip this summer; Holland, through Germany to Poland, Hungary and Croatia.......especially money saving/good value campsites and places to eat/visit. We are a family of mum and dad (40s) and boys aged 11 and 8.
We would welcome any ideas you may have thankyou!:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hello lovely motorhomers! Not sure if we qualify to be in the community with our home-converted LDV high-top van (white van man family! Is that bad?) but was directed here by a post by allie summerville (thankyou) on another forum.
I'm looking for tips about places to stay and visit on our trip this summer; Holland, through Germany to Poland, Hungary and Croatia.......especially money saving/good value campsites and places to eat/visit. We are a family of mum and dad (40s) and boys aged 11 and 8.
Welcome to the fun...no problem on here with home-converted campers, theres people on here with caravans,tents and even one with a broomstick,so no worrys there pal.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hello lovely motorhomers! Not sure if we qualify to be in the community with our home-converted LDV high-top van (white van man family! Is that bad?)

Ha.

Anyone can buy gin palace on wheels, but to build your own, you don't get better qualifications than that, that takes real dedication. And you won't find many gin palaces heading for eastern Europe, there's baddies out there that might steal the windscreen wipers.

But cheap, well not so sure where that is now, you'll need to look hard. Good luck, just back from via Germany where €18 a night seemed pretty reasonable. Soon the prices will rise quite sharply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N

nevcat

Free Member
Jun 9, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
white van conv!
Exp
??used to own a converted ambulance, since then we been caravanners for 12 years, just got back into
thanks, just read this link about Stellplatz, that's the kind of info we need!:Smile:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I'd recommend you buy a copy of the ACSI DVD which is excellent. Full mapping with thousands of sites listed in detail though often the actual site prices are cheaper than quoted. I wouldn't bother with the guide book as by comparison it's a waste of money and crap. There are those on here who will say the book is great. I'll tell you how 'great' it is. Last year I offered mine to any funster totally free yet not one person wanted it so it went in the bin! :roflmto:

If you like desolate and remote areas, try the far east side of Poland up by the Ukraine border. Plenty of places to wildcamp but make absolutely sure your vehicle is mechanically up to it. A breakdown here may prove to be an extremely long wait!

OP
OP
N

nevcat

Free Member
Jun 9, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
white van conv!
Exp
thanks, just found another post by you, and sent a message, any advise gratefully recieved!

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Stelplatz are teh way to go in Germany. Suggest you get a satnav and upload them!

Bordatlas is the best German stelplaz guide. GPS POIs for Autoroute on my website (http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/resources-downloads/gps-pois-hosted-by-us/). Acsi/camping cheques for a good site for off-peak is useful - FAQ http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/2010/05/cheap-off-peak-camping-acsi-camping-cheques-etc/

Also don't under estimate the tourist boards of each country. I've just had huge free info pack for Denmark, Poland and Czech with camping info etc

Our site also has some real costs of our trips - though no kid costs lol!

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Eastern europe or Bulgaria (EU)

Hi ,Why Poland ? any particular reason ?how about Germany,Austria,Hungary,then either Romania- Bulgaria,or Serbia-Bulgaria,Serbia is an easier trip through country about 7 hours but expensive at border if you haven't a green card insurance for them approx 140 euro !! to travel through,but Romania ok ,no probs,make sure you get the talons or road taxes on route ,through Austria,hungary,romania and Bulgaria only approx 6/10 euro but saves a big fine,keep reciepts safe for them.
I have found that germany and Austria,have stunning stop overs on the motorways with self cleaning toilets and showers either outside or in the shop/petrol stations,even in Hungary and cost is approx a euro for use,which you have aticket for which is redeemable if in restuarant,even the layby's are well equiped and used for the truckers,usually landscaped and well kept so no use for'campsites' ! If your up to ' wildcamping' more or less self sefficient then there are plenty of lakes and rivers to camp or stop near,once in Bulgaria its very cheap,head for lakes/damns or the coast, wildcamping is the norm,and everyone has some sort of camp going,especially on weekends,if your adventurous and have plenty of time you can cross into Greece or Turkey from there,Greece route takes you along the coast past Kavala,Thessaloniki and ferry to Italy,up the coast there past Switzerland either into France or again germany and home,look at viamichelin site for routes or ask me more details,i have done this route many times and now live in Bulgaria close to the border with Greece and Turkey,if you need any where to park up,i have tons of room.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
There is no snobbery here - it doesn't matter what your van is, we are all here for the love of travel and adventure - the means of that travel is unimportant....it's the memories that count!:thumb:

Go with the flow and just keep driving and meeting people. You would be amazed at the places you end up, gets quite surreal at times - but as I say, memories are forever!

Prague - check out the Kostnice Ossuary in Sedlec. Very strange place, creepy but fascinating! All made from human bones...chandaliers the lot! It was an honour to have your bones carved into this place apparently. One of those places you really need to see in your life to beleive it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back