Easter Skiing (1 Viewer)

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
So me and the mrs have been talking about going away at easter, we decided we can't get far enough south to get to the heat in the amount of time available so we were thinking of ski resort, The question is and bear in mind we have never ski'd, where is the best bet to get snow at easter (I realise this may be subjective) and where is a good spot for lessons for a family with kids (kids learning too) and of course good sites or aires to stay. I realise that the van will need a bit of winterising but I've seen plenty of other threads to prepare me for that.i realise I may of left this a bit late but we do tend to be spur of the moment types and still plenty of time to prepare.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We drove to Morzine last summer to scope out the ski resort. It is a fairish drive but doable. There is a lovely campsite called camping les marmottes just out of the town and several aires. There is definitely one in Avoriaz. We chose to fly a few weeks ago because we didn't have the time to drive. It is a. Big ski area with lots of variety. We may look at driving at Easter as we have a little more time. ::bigsmile:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Not sure when Easter fall this year but you'll probably need to pick a high resort like Val Thorens or similar to be guaranteed snow also if snows good it'll be very busy.

As for lessons any French ski resort will have good instructors just try and make sure your instructor speaks English if you don't speak French. Its hard enough learning to ski without a language barrier.

Check out http://www.motorhomeski.com/ for useful info on camp sites Aires and preparation.

Just enjoy and don't forget to smile ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
As the previous post, need to look at a resort circa 2000 mtrs. The French ones down the tarantaise valley, La Plagne, Les Arcs, Val Thoren, or the higher resorts of the 4 valleys (Courcheval etc) are all relatively close to the channel crossing options. We go by car all over the alps skiing 3 times each winter and down the motorways its an easy drive, circa 500 miles from Calais They all have MH parking. The French resorts mostly have great ski instruction for beginners. Easter is late this year so you should have some reasonable sun, the snow will be less reliable.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Les Deux Alpes and Tignes are both snow sure that late. Not sure how far the drive would be, depends how much time you have available. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Scottyboy
Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
Thanks everyone, What about Switzerland? We went to Lauterbrunnen in the summer and it looked like it would be good in winter.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thanks everyone, What about Switzerland? We went to Lauterbrunnen in the summer and it looked like it would be good in winter.
We were in Les Crosetts a few weeks back, certain parts of Switzerland are shorter to get to than La Plagne for example, but also there are some more distant places. As you are a total beginner make sure you choose a resort that is snow sure, it means that you will be able to ski around the resort on nursery slopes without having to trek higher up for some snow and of course back down becomes a test. Your first week will be the greatest fun you ever have skiing, or you will never do it again. But one thing is for sure, you will be knackered in time for a bath, meal and a drink, and an early night, unless you are super fit. So you wont see much scenery you will be too busy keeping alive!! ( we learnt in Sauze in 1981 and I still remember it now with great affection). By the way there are certain rules regarding chains or winter tyres, bone up on those before you go.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are just about to book Le Champ du Moulin campsite in Les Deux Alpes for Easter. Poole to Cherbourg ferry, couple of aires on the way down and back and probably 4 days skiing. The road is very good so should be a reasonable drive. Excited ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Scottyboy
Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
We are just about to book Le Champ du Moulin campsite in Les Deux Alpes for Easter. Poole to Cherbourg ferry, couple of aires on the way down and back and probably 4 days skiing. The road is very good so should be a reasonable drive. Excited ::bigsmile:

Maybe see you there:Smile:

scottie58

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
berks
Funster No
MH
A class
We are starting our "gap year adventure" in the van by going skiing. We are heading for any of these depending on snow cover after we have picked up our skis from my mates hotel.. Les Arcs - 2 campsites, La Rosiere - good aire with fantastic views, Tignes le Breviere - basic aire next to lift or Les menuires - aire right on side of piste. Lots of high runs in these resorts with good records of snow well into April. We are aiming to be skiiing by April 1st before school hols start but resorts are not as busy at easter in our experience anyway. All in the haute savoie which we know well from 20 years of going there in the car! 623 miles to Bourg St Maurice from the tunnel, 10 hrs drive on the autoroute if you don't mind paying. We will not be using them all the way in the van - still to work out an alternative route over 2 days. Can't wait ::bigsmile: In a years time we intend to investigate the Maurienne valley and all its less well known small resorts/ areas.

OP
OP
Scottyboy
Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
So we have the tunnel booked 11th April, still can't decided on location, Have read good things about Avoriaz has any one been? and with regards to lessons and equipment
hire do I need to pre book or is it something that can be arranged on arrival?

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We really liked Avioriaz, preferred it to Morzine. They did have more snow at the time though. You can pre book most things which may be advisable as it in the school holidays so will be fairly busy. The whole area is huge, we skied over to Switzerland as well whilst we were there. Booked our ferry from Poole on the 5th and planning our route down to Les Deux Alpes over a couple of days so will probably be able to avoid the tolls. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Scottyboy
Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
So... I have literally exhausted my brain with the amount of internet research I have done, there is too much info making hard to make a decision so we have just plumped for Camping Les Lanchettes at Vallandry / Les Arcs, What swung it was apparently Les Arcs has free lifts on the beginners slopes and realistically thats as far as we will get in the time available. Lets hope we made a good choice, Either way we are all Excited and can't wait to get there::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
We are thinking of skiing at Easter do you know if there will be snow in Andorra

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Why oh why go abroad
I don't ski but up at Aviemore at the moment plenty of snow up the top and weather great, been out on bikes last 2 days in shorts & teshirts

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back