BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
In the strait of Gibraltar but felt all along the costa del sol and Malaga area !
First one I've felt - shook the bed, rattled the wall mirror and woke me up! (And no - I wasn't !!!!!!!).
image.jpg

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Missed the only one due to jet lag totally gutted, everyone at hotel had something to talk about at breakfast, cept us

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Was in a hotel in Tokyo about 3 months after the Tsunami, when they were still getting aftershocks. After a night of saki laden food, woke up at about 2am with the whole room swaying. Took about a minute to work out that it wasn't the booze. No alarm and was on 38th floor anyway so only two ways down - hundreds of stairs or the quick way :eek: it stopped after about 15 minutes so went back to sleep.

It was a 6.1 aftershock - the high rise buildings in Japan have huge pendulum like counterbalances in the bottom so that the building doesn't shake in a quake but sways gently absorbing the energy. Interesting experience......

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I recall my sister and family being in one once in Greece - Halkidiki I think.

The chap in the next room said he lay in bed thinking Oh well, this is it then Ron, never mind you've enjoyed your life (he worked for Gilbey's apparently!) - and then when he didn't die, he opened his eyes and became aware that everything was shaking not just him!

They were on the first floor of hotel rooms, so instead of a balcony their rooms both had a terrace so they stepped out onto the roof of the ground floor IYSWIM. The rooms above them had balconies.

My bro-in-law - a builder - then pointed out that probably them all standing leaning on the railing at the front of the terraces having a conversation, wasn't the best idea, during or immediately after an earthquake !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We used to get them all the time in NZ. After experiencing the first couple it got to be, Shake,rattle, bang and carry on with life.

The highest we experienced was a 6.5. We were at a zebra crossing, in the car, and all these pedestrians started to lie on the road, WTF?
It was only when I got out the car that I realised what was going on

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back