Earthquake!

Discussion in 'Spain' started by BreweryDave, Jan 25, 2016.

1. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

In the strait of Gibraltar but felt all along the costa del sol and Malaga area !
    First one I've felt - shook the bed, rattled the wall mirror and woke me up! (And no - I wasn't !!!!!!!). image.jpg

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. buttons

buttons Funster

The first time can be memorable.....;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. scousebird

scousebird Funster

quite spooky feeling isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Violet1

Violet1

Missed the only one due to jet lag totally gutted, everyone at hotel had something to talk about at breakfast, cept us

• Like Like x 1
  5. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Was in a hotel in Tokyo about 3 months after the Tsunami, when they were still getting aftershocks. After a night of saki laden food, woke up at about 2am with the whole room swaying. Took about a minute to work out that it wasn't the booze. No alarm and was on 38th floor anyway so only two ways down - hundreds of stairs or the quick way :eek: it stopped after about 15 minutes so went back to sleep.

It was a 6.1 aftershock - the high rise buildings in Japan have huge pendulum like counterbalances in the bottom so that the building doesn't shake in a quake but sways gently absorbing the energy. Interesting experience......

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. sedge

sedge Funster

I recall my sister and family being in one once in Greece - Halkidiki I think.

The chap in the next room said he lay in bed thinking Oh well, this is it then Ron, never mind you've enjoyed your life (he worked for Gilbey's apparently!) - and then when he didn't die, he opened his eyes and became aware that everything was shaking not just him!

They were on the first floor of hotel rooms, so instead of a balcony their rooms both had a terrace so they stepped out onto the roof of the ground floor IYSWIM. The rooms above them had balconies.

My bro-in-law - a builder - then pointed out that probably them all standing leaning on the railing at the front of the terraces having a conversation, wasn't the best idea, during or immediately after an earthquake !

7. rangitira

rangitira Funster

We used to get them all the time in NZ. After experiencing the first couple it got to be, Shake,rattle, bang and carry on with life.

The highest we experienced was a 6.5. We were at a zebra crossing, in the car, and all these pedestrians started to lie on the road, WTF?
    It was only when I got out the car that I realised what was going on

8. funkyfunky

funkyfunky Funster Life Member

We are near to Marbella and it rocked our Van. Mary said that she felt the Earth move. (well it was at night)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

My earth didn't move, or more to the point, I didn't feel a thing and I'm near Marbella.

:cooler:

10. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Maybe you had been gassed!!
    :whistle2:

11. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

Well, I woke up with a sore head and there was a substantial amount of money missing from my wallet, so you could be right.
    I like the way they locked the door again when they left, leaving the key, in it's usual place inside.

:cooler:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1