Earth strap on boxer.......?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by troikafloyd, Oct 20, 2012.

1. troikafloyd

troikafloyd Read Only Funster

:Smile: Can anyone advise me whether it's ok to use a new battery earth lead (round) to replace the braided earth strap which earths the starter motor on my Boxer (2004) Diesal. I ask because I believe it is the strap that has caused the problems I've had with starting the engine. As some of you know from my previous post there has been sparks coming from where the strap is situated. I tried to locate a strap in my local area but could only get the battery earth cable, can I presume as long as it is earthed etc?

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

same difference as far as earthing goes, but the round earth wire isn't as flexible and vibration proof as the braided one so may fail earlier than expected.

the braided one doesnt need to be specific to your van, as long as its a similar length and size it will do the job....and maybe even cheaper.

Halfrauds etc sell them in various sizes

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Hi. I have replaced earth-straps in the past with cables, with no problems. The only time (IMHO) a cable possibly wouldn't be suitable would be if earthing a bonnet or suchlike, subject to regular movement. I'm happy to bow to superior knowledge, not being familiar with your particular vehicle... :thumb:

4. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Oops, synchronized posting!

5. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

Can you not clean up the connections? If you suspect that the sparks were coming from the loose connector.
    The original earth strap is braided copper seems a shame to buy new when the original would do.You,d have to clean the point of earth connection anyway before fitting a new cable.I always found that when I had calls for flat batteries a high percentage where caused by poor maintenance of battery terminals and loose fan belts.
    BTW current follows the path of least resistance so if you have a poor earth cable then a path to earth would be by the next best path,possibly a throttle cable or suchlike,this can get very hot even cause sparks when it blows like a fuse!:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

when working 'recovery' i saw far too many braided earth straps, most notably on 1990's Vauxhall cars, look in a dirty but serviceable condition...until pulled on and they come apart like pulling on a cotton wool ball

if you're going to remove it to clean the contact area you may as well replace it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

Boxer 2004 ,shouldn,t be in that bad a state,but inspect it of course before making a decision of discarding it or renewing,i,d go like for like if you do renew.

8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

It will be if others have sprayed the devils juice of WD 40 around !! It will be as rotten as a rotten thing that has gone rotten !!

9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Agree with this, as long term it traps dirt and water in the weave and causes the centre of the braid near the terminal to rot away to virtually nothing

if you cant find a braid of suitable length locally (it can be for any make so long as its got standard crimps on each end) you can get them cheap on ebay. just means waiting a few days for delivery. more expensive, but easy get a local auto electrician to sell you one from stock or make it for you

10. troikafloyd

troikafloyd Read Only Funster

:Smile: Thanks for all the advice given! I will clean/check the braided strap but will probably get a new one as now it's off it does make sense.