troikafloyd

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
uk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol 2004
Exp
:Smile: Can anyone advise me whether it's ok to use a new battery earth lead (round) to replace the braided earth strap which earths the starter motor on my Boxer (2004) Diesal. I ask because I believe it is the strap that has caused the problems I've had with starting the engine. As some of you know from my previous post there has been sparks coming from where the strap is situated. I tried to locate a strap in my local area but could only get the battery earth cable, can I presume as long as it is earthed etc?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
same difference as far as earthing goes, but the round earth wire isn't as flexible and vibration proof as the braided one so may fail earlier than expected.

the braided one doesnt need to be specific to your van, as long as its a similar length and size it will do the job....and maybe even cheaper.

Halfrauds etc sell them in various sizes

Last edited:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi. I have replaced earth-straps in the past with cables, with no problems. The only time (IMHO) a cable possibly wouldn't be suitable would be if earthing a bonnet or suchlike, subject to regular movement. I'm happy to bow to superior knowledge, not being familiar with your particular vehicle... :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Oops, synchronized posting!

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Can you not clean up the connections? If you suspect that the sparks were coming from the loose connector.
The original earth strap is braided copper seems a shame to buy new when the original would do.You,d have to clean the point of earth connection anyway before fitting a new cable.I always found that when I had calls for flat batteries a high percentage where caused by poor maintenance of battery terminals and loose fan belts.
BTW current follows the path of least resistance so if you have a poor earth cable then a path to earth would be by the next best path,possibly a throttle cable or suchlike,this can get very hot even cause sparks when it blows like a fuse!:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can you not clean up the connections? If you suspect that the sparks were coming from the loose connector.
The original earth strap is braided copper seems a shame to buy new when the original would do.You,d have to clean the point of earth connection anyway before fitting a new cable.I always found that when I had calls for flat batteries a high percentage where caused by poor maintenance of battery terminals and loose fan belts.
BTW current follows the path of least resistance so if you have a poor earth cable then a path to earth would be by the next best path,possibly a throttle cable or suchlike,this can get very hot even cause sparks when it blows like a fuse!:Smile:
when working 'recovery' i saw far too many braided earth straps, most notably on 1990's Vauxhall cars, look in a dirty but serviceable condition...until pulled on and they come apart like pulling on a cotton wool ball

if you're going to remove it to clean the contact area you may as well replace it.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Boxer 2004 ,shouldn,t be in that bad a state,but inspect it of course before making a decision of discarding it or renewing,i,d go like for like if you do renew.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It will be if others have sprayed the devils juice of WD 40 around !! It will be as rotten as a rotten thing that has gone rotten !!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It will be if others have sprayed the devils juice of WD 40 around !! It will be as rotten as a rotten thing that has gone rotten !!

Agree with this, as long term it traps dirt and water in the weave and causes the centre of the braid near the terminal to rot away to virtually nothing

if you cant find a braid of suitable length locally (it can be for any make so long as its got standard crimps on each end) you can get them cheap on ebay. just means waiting a few days for delivery. more expensive, but easy get a local auto electrician to sell you one from stock or make it for you

OP
OP
T

troikafloyd

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
uk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol 2004
Exp
:Smile: Thanks for all the advice given! I will clean/check the braided strap but will probably get a new one as now it's off it does make sense.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back