Ear plugs: recommendations please.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Eeyore, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

I've never used ear plugs before but am getting more irritated by external noise on aires and campsites as I get older and less tolerant.

Do earplugs work ? What kind should I buy ? I only want them for use while in bed at night so are they comfortable to lie on ?

All recommendations gratefully received !

2. rosierose

rosierose Funster

You can get ones that are moulded to your ears, so you know they'll fit perfectly. Any places that test your ears should be able to organise for you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kalamitty

kalamitty Funster

i used to have moulded earplugs for when riding motorcycle, they dont cut out all noises. we were told not to leave them in a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rosierose

rosierose Funster

My husband has slept in his with no problems......they're like a silicon rubber.
    I don't suppose there are many that would cut out ALL noise, you'd certainly want to hear your alarm going off ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

For damaging high volume noise yes, for subtle background noise, no.

The Spanish have a brand that works, called Soberano.

• Like Like x 5
  6. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

I don't think the moulded ones would be very comfortable to sleep in? Mine cut out specific frequencies (musicians plugs) and cost £160. Brilliant on stage, but I suspect the yellow foam industrials you buy in a jar containing many but costing little would do the sleepy thing just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Al-Di

Al-Di Funster

its your snoring, or maybe something else your good at,:rolleyes::rolleyes::whistle::)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vic

Vic Funster

Try the snorestore Co. Uk or com. Lots to choose from and a fraction of the price of chemists or motorbike places. And yes they do work.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

Eeyore,
    How many of the yellow industrial type would you like, I realize that Two is the optimum to wear at any one time, for all the smarty pants out there/here (y)
    East to acquire from work should you want to give them a go, contact me if you wish, take care.
    Norman.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I find them irritating after wearing for more than an hour or two.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Thank you very much everyone. I' ll call in at Specsavers hearing testing shop tomorrow and see what they can do. Given that any product that sells itelf as counteracting Spanish noise is likely to have to be super- efficient then I shall certainly go for a set of Soberano when we are there.

12. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Norman: that' s very generous of you. I'll have a look in town tomorrow but might get back to you.

Flamenca: I worried about that too but wonder, if I went to sleep with them in, would they be uncomfortable enough to wake me up ? Presumably the makers realise that many will use them to cut out night noises ?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

You've just solved a mystery for me ! I' ve often wondered why members of an orchestra don't go totally deaf with the noise going on all around them. I didn't think they could wear earplugs because of not being able to hear what they, or the rest, are doing. I didn' t know there were ear plugs that cut out specific frequencies. Thanks.

14. Enword

Enword Funster

• Like Like x 1
  15. Margaritaman

Margaritaman Funster

Try putting a couple of drops of olive oil in your ear canal then place a small wad of cotton wool in the entrance of your ear canal. Fit doesn't need to be too tight and don't push the cotton wool deep into your ear canal

The cotton wool is breathable so won't make your ear sweat and the olive oil will help condition the skin in your ear canal. The oil will also help soften any hard or compacted wax in your ear.

You may find just plugging the opposite ear is sufficient if you sleep largely on one side.

Be aware that plugging your ears will make you less able to hear alarm clocks going off, smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors going off etc.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i used to have to use them on certain jobs with my work. i found anything more than 3 or 4 hours and it gave me sore ears. worse when hot and tended to leave me with ear infections

17. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i used to have to use them on certain jobs with my work. i found anything more than 3 or 4 hours and it gave me sore ears. worse when hot and tended to leave me with ear infections

• Like Like x 1
  18. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

I have the custom moulded ones from Ultimate Ear for motorcycle use:-

http://www.ultimateear.com

Although not sure how comfortable they would be to sleep an entire night in, may be better off with the disposable foam type?

• Like Like x 1
  19. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

20. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Thanks...they looked just the job until I came to the price tag ! It doesn' t say whether the £75 plus cost of impression + £5 p&p is for one or more pairs.

I do have odd shaped ear canals which mean they need syringing as much as 6 monthly sometimes so advice well taken Big1 and Margaritaman.

If the rain stops today I' ll go and have a talk to the people in Specsavers.

21. solo 1

solo 1 Funster Life Member

If, like me, you only sleep on one side, (in my case my right), I find my ipod or talk radio played into one ear, (my left) very quietly, and because your other ear is down on the pillow you don't hear anything else. I've often woken in the morning with earpiece still intact. Works for me anyway. Good luck.(y)

• Like Like x 1