E5573 MIFI Deal back on at Carphone Warehouse for £20 .... QUICK!!!! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nice one @irnbru ... to cancel the contract ring: 0800 956 6000

Tell them that you only need the contract for the initial 30 days at the moment (ie the first £20 payment) and if you need to, you'll get another when you need it again in the future, they'll then cancel it for you so that you can use the current one for 30 days and it will then just stop working. You'll just get the £20 charge made via direct debit in a week or so's time to the bank account you gave them.

They'll then tell you that you'll get a final invoice from them 14 days AFTER the 30 day contract ends but as you're terminating immediately you shouldn't get any further charge ... so just a £0.00 invoice ... if you've left it a few days though from ordering to cancelling you might get a small pro-rata charge.

I've just cancelled hubby's which arrived today (he ordered it late last night!) without any problem.

Last edited:

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
So this stuff isn't my bag as I only have a simple Blackberry provided by my work that is totally locked down. But I understand from some of the youngsters that these smart phones can be made a hotspot that enables you to get on line with a laptop or tablet etc.
So if that is the case what is the advantage of having the wifi?
Help in understanding would be a marvellous thing

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So this stuff isn't my bag as I only have a simple Blackberry provided by my work that is totally locked down. But I understand from some of the youngsters that these smart phones can be made a hotspot that enables you to get on line with a laptop or tablet etc.
So if that is the case what is the advantage of having the wifi?
Help in understanding would be a marvellous thing
The ability to use a smart phone as a hotspot (ie tethering) is dependent on the contract for the sim provider, some allow this but a lot don't so you can't rely on being able to use it - it tends to be permitted mainly for the more expensive monthly 'unlimited' contracts and if they do allow it they can sometimes impose limits on how much data can be used via tethering anyway, even though for the phone itself it is unlimited.

If you have a smart phone with a contract which allows tethering and the amount of data they permit to be used via this method is sufficient for your needs then no, you don't necessarily need a MIFI, but if not then it's the only way to get on line (excluding public wifi).

If you haven't already got a laptop/tablet and/or want a cheap one to use when away in your camper, look to buy a phablet - a larger tablet which can take a normal phone sim - then you can have a phone contract with data and use it in the tablet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
First shop I went to had none in stock and said he didn't think the shops were getting a new supply. One store nearby showed on system as having one so I went there.

I've cancelled now :)

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
So....Huawei Mifi device which from what I see has the external antenna ports? a rolling contract for £20pcm with 15gb data and you can cancel the contract and the device is unlocked?

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Can anyone confirm that it has external antenna ports?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yes it does with Ts9 connectors. Google it. Sorry can't copy paste from phone

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
So....Huawei Mifi device which from what I see has the external antenna ports? a rolling contract for £20pcm with 15gb data and you can cancel the contract and the device is unlocked?
By George ... he's got it!!! (y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Minxy Girl. Thanks Mel. (y)

I lost out on the last offer recently. The online application was a bit of a chore, when it wouldn't recognise the Bank or Building Society name. Norwich & Peterborough kept coming up as invalid. :eek:

All done now though. :)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
:)Thanks Minxy,I have just received my Huawel,it works well so very happy,also phoned and cancelled ,easy peasy.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
:)Thanks Minxy,I have just received my Huawel,it works well so very happy,also phoned and cancelled ,easy peasy.
Yep, same here Mel,, and just cancelled via a very polite and helpful young Welsh lad, at their call centre. (y)
0800 956 6000

Cheers,

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Mine ordered over the weekend so they are going to take off pro-rata for the extra couple of days. Cheaper than fleabay :)

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
So the next question I have is: Do you know when the first month starts? ie if I leave it for a month after I receive the WiFi to put the sim card in, do I lose all the data and still pay £20 or can I delay the start by not registering the Sim?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
So the next question I have is: Do you know when the first month starts? ie if I leave it for a month after I receive the WiFi to put the sim card in, do I lose all the data and still pay £20 or can I delay the start by not registering the Sim?
Sorry, I can't help with that one, because it was important to me to know that the MiFi was functional upon receipt, which meant activating the sim.

Saying that, I didn't have to download the EE Dashboard or App for the MiFi to work properly. It just whizzed along on it's own accord.(y)

Cheers,

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
So I've just ordered one of these on-line. Couple of questions please:
How do I cancel and when. It is on direct debit so presume have to cancel that as well. Do I have to wait for it to be delivered first. Secondly. Is it worth getting an antenna for it to help with reception and if so which type and cables are required. Only ask this as when you look at some packages they include an antenna. Will mainly be using this travelling down through France into Spain. Thanks

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
How do I cancel and when. It is on direct debit so presume have to cancel that as well. Do I have to wait for it to be delivered first. Secondly. Is it worth getting an antenna for it to help with reception and if so which type and cables are required. Only ask this as when you look at some packages they include an antenna. Will mainly be using this travelling down through France into Spain. Thanks
Hi Madmag,
When you receive the MiFi, phone up and cancel the contract, using the 0800 number both Mel and I have posted above. They will ask you all sorts of questions about why you want to cancel, and can they provide you with home internet, etc, etc. You have to be politely persistent with them, but in the end, they will inform you that your contract will terminate within 30 days, and that you will receive a bill within 14 days for the £20. Mine arrived today, and once that has been taken from my account, I will cancel the DD with my bank..................just in case EE forget. ;)

Re the question about an antenna, thanks for asking, as I would like to know too. @Jim sticks his in a plastic back, and hoists it up above his MH on one of those long extending carbon fibre flag poles..........................before he acquired his current data satellite dish. ;)

As I have neither, I am interested in the replies re the antenna. (y)

Cheers,

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

The contract for the sim starts as soon as you place the order as it's a 30 day 'rolling' contract it's not like a PAYG or pre-loaded one which you can activate at a later date, as soon as the deals done it is active from that point, so you need to cancel the contract as soon as you can to give the required 30 day's notice otherwise you'll be charged a pro-rata rate for the extra days. You don't have to wait until you receive the MIFI to do this but better to wait until you've had an email confirming it has been shipped (not that your order has been received) to ensure it's on it's way first.

Once you've cancelled watch out for the £20 being taken from your bank account via DD, as soon as it's gone out, cancel the DD - you'll get a 'generic' email from them telling you to set it up again but just ignore it. Then that's all you need to do.

You'll get some paperwork through the post for the 'contract' with the 'first' payment details on and usually also get another with 'last' payment details on about 14-28 days later which should be £0 (I assume they HAVE to do this otherwise I can't see why they'd send out an invoice for £0!).

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I managed to talk them into cancelling the day it arrived as I said it was for my motorhome so not used every month and I wanted a PAYG contract. They agreed to cancel (as stated in my post above) so the cost would be £20 plus a couple of pounds for the extra delivery days. The next day trying to login there was no service. Called them up and they said they had cancelled the whole contract. Result.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I'm interested in this but don't get it. Sorry. We will be going to France in April. If I buy this now and cancel it immediately will I lose the 15GB because I wont want to use it till April? So then will I need to get a sim from somewhere like 3 and buy data from them to use in April?

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
The way this works is that you order from CPW but they have little/nothing to do with the contract thereafter apart from sending out the Huawei and presumably gaining some commission from EE.
The contract starts on the day you order. You then cancel with EE when the sim arrives as you will need the sim telephone number to be able to do this. When I discussed it with EE they were originally going to charge pro-rata for the extra days over the initial 30 days contract but in the end cancelled the whole contract. So worse case scenario you will have to pay circa £23 and have 30 days to use up the data. The equivalent item is circa £50 on Amazon.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You are buying it on a contract because they do them cheap in the hope you will stay on contract and in the end they will make money. You then cancel the contract and put a cheaper to use sim in and use that you can't save the data till later because its on a monthly contract but the saving on the mifi more than makes up for the loss of data

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Firstly thanks for posting this deal!!

I ordered one on click and collect last Friday but something went wrong so I had to call on Sunday to chase the order.

I finally collected it yesterday! Mine was only activated as I left the shop! I went to work turned it in and cancelled an hour later. So I have 15gb of data to use asap.

As we go to France in 3 weeks my 12 month 3 sim is on its way!! Cracking device and I'm very happy with the deal!

Thanks @Minxy Girl

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Remember you need to use the 3 sim in this country before using abroad and to turn roaming on. There is an App Huawei HiLink which allows you to monitor and change settings.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
There is an App Huawei HiLink which allows you to monitor and change settings.
I tried that App on my tablet, but it only works in the portrait mode, and not in the landscape mode. :(
It's certainly good for monitoring data usage and setting a limit.

Cheers,

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
thanks good tip, i have the app which looks good but never thought about turning roaming on when the sim arrives! Thanks

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Ordered it. Not sure I'll know what to do with it when I get it though. :confused:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back