Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
I am in the throes of an e-mail nightmare.

I have been using Outlook Express, bundled with Microsoft Vista, without any real problems, though I would have preferred Outlook, as it is what we use at work and I am familiar with its workings.

I recently (last weekend) upgraded to Windows 7, having been assured it was much more stable than Vista. We carefully backed up everything we could think of before the installation, including my e-mail contacts.
Having installed Windows 7, we then installed my (legit) copy of Microsoft Office 10 - and I confidently looked for Outlook, only to find it not there. Neither was Outlook Express, nor Windows live mail.

So - off to the internet, and pleased to find I could download Outlook for free, which I did.

Problem - I cannot get my e-mail contacts into Outlook, despite several hours of research and effort. The file menu in Outlook does not have the usual "import/export" feature, and I can find no other way to do it. My contacts folder is on the pc, but I can't get Outlook to reference it at all.
I can only assume the free to download Outlook is a stripped down version, though why the facility to import an address book should be removed I fail to understand.

So - do I go back to Outlook Express? Can I in fact do so with Windows 7? Why is there no e-mail programme as part of Windows 7?

Any advice welcome.

Mike

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
My understanding is that the free internet outlook for win 7 download is indeed a cut down version.

However I do not understand why your ligit version of office 10 did not include outlook. Did you install office yourself? I would suggest re-running the office install program and checking the components that are to be installed - if outlook was not selected at install time it will not be there.

Alternatively try thunderbird, also a free download?

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
I'll check my Office 10 install disk but I'm pretty sure if it was there we'd have installed it.

I've been recommended to try Thunderbird by others, so I'll have a look at that too.

Many thanks

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Not sure what version you were using but for outllook 2010 import is performed as follows:

Import contacts

Contacts can be imported into Outlook from other applications or from exported Outlook contacts. These instructions assume that you have already exported the contacts from the other application, such as a Web client, Excel spreadsheet, or database application.
Note For information on exporting contacts, see Export contacts.

1. Click the File tab.
  2. Click Open.
  3. Click Import.
  4. Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
  5. Under Select the file type to import, click the file type of file you want to import, and then click Next.
The most common is Comma Separated Values (Windows), also known as a CSV file. If you are importing contacts that were exported from Outlook to an Outlook Data File (.pst), click Outlook Data File (.pst).

1. Under File to import, click Browse, select the file that you want to import, and then click OK.
  2. In the Import a File dialog box, under Options, click one of the following:

• Replace duplicates with items imported If an Outlook contact already exists, it is replaced by the information that you are importing.
  • Allow duplicates to be created If an Outlook contact exists, the imported contact is created as a second contact.
  • Do not import duplicate items If an Outlook contact exists, the information for the imported contact is not imported.

1. Click Next.
  2. In the Import a File dialog box, under Select destination folder, click a folder for the imported contacts, and then click Next.
This usually is the Contacts folder unless you have multiple accounts, or have created multiple contact folders for an account.

1. Click Finish.

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There should be a copy of Windows Live Mail within Windows 7

Try this for your contacts, export them from Outlook Express as a CSV file, go into Outlook and import the CSV file it should work as Outlook is a much stronger program than OE.

Outlook I think only comes with Proffessional Versions & Up of Microsoft Office

Thunderbird is very similar to Outlook Express and considered to be vastly superior having calendar options like Outlook

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks to all....

Pablomc - I've been doing a little more digging, and I had just found the critical mistake I've been making, which your post also clarifies - they've moved the import into a sub-menu in file - it's now in file>open>import.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Why do they do this? Bast***s! I hate Microsoft!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back