E-Bike Warning - Potential Fire Risks (1 Viewer)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I know a lot of Funsters have e-bikes and find them excellent at assisting in getting around, however there seems to be a number of clips appearing whereby they are catching fire and bursting into flames.

At first I thought that this might have been only when charging, but it appears not, as some have caught light for no obvious reason.

Just wanted to pass it on, so that those that do own them are aware of this and stay safe. Looking at some of the evidence, it's alarmed me at just how quickly the fire starts and it's intensity after only a few seconds.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That was my thought Jim and NO the motor might be at the front but the battery will be at the back, but there does look to be a pile of stuff at the front that is burning so possibly more to the story.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Looks odd to me, is the fire anywhere near the battery?
And my thoughts Jim. I reckon this was a fire exercise looking at the rubbish stacked around the front wheel.and despite the guy saying his battery was on fire it clearly was not.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Something indeed strange. The owner clearly says that the battery had caught fire, but it would appear the flames had engulfed the front forks. All the bikes I have seen, none have had the batteries in that area. Still I suppose, I have not seen them all. :)

And a little bit of gooooooogling came up with the GeoOrbital wheel, which is a self contained wheel motor and battery all in the front wheel, which you buy and use to convert any bike by simply changing the front wheel. Well, there you are, " learning all the time. ". :love:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Definitely something not right there ... the battery should be on the back in the 'lower deck' of the rear carrier but it's missing ... there are also what appear to be tools lying around the front of the bike ... I wonder if he was pratting around with it when it caught fire as it doesn't make any sense where it is positioned.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Think we may be missing the point here. There are many different clips about these bikes seemingly bursting into flames. CCTV from inside shops, phone clips and such the like from all around the world.

It's not about pulling that particular clip apart, but think beyond it all. If it should happen inside a home, garage or even a motorhome, then it's potentially a huge problem.

Please search the web and see for yourselves. I didn't want to fill the thread up with lots of clips, rather I picked a short one just to get the message out there as I felt it important enough to post.

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Clearly not an electrical fire. The vertically mounted battery can be seen behind the seat tube. Some sort of a setup in my opinion. The 'firecrew' didn't seem too bothered about it either.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
There has always been a risk with charging lithium based batteries, lots of stories from the radio control community of batteries catching fire while on charge, but these batteries are more at risk of being damaged by crashing or rough use
The instructions on most batteries of this type tell you not to leave the batteries charging without being kept an eye on, and I have fireproof bags that I put my lithium batteries in while charging
But, as others have pointed out, the video shows the battery safely fire free on the rear of the bike.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If my electric bike caught fire out in the open as that was I would put it out, did he really need the fire dept., perhaps a point to prove (for insurance co) :)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
If my electric bike caught fire out in the open as that was I would put it out, did he really need the fire dept., perhaps a point to prove (for insurance co) :)

SuperCynicalLarryHapyChappy. Unlike me who sees the best in everybody. Even the VeryOldMoEcclesCakeMan. :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back