E-bay account hacked

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Popeye, May 10, 2014.

1. Popeye

Popeye Funster

At 07.44 this morning I received an email from e-bay thanking me for changing my e-mail address and the usual "if it wasn't you then please change password immediately."

Well it was definitely e-bay and not a scam because they were using my correct
    i.d. so I went into my account and changed my password to a computer generated 20 digit job-bi.

Less than and hour later I was congratulated on purchasing a Samsung 4s for $425 and 5minutes later it appears I bought an i-phone5 for $700.

Needless to say I was on the phone a bit quick with an estimated wait time of 57minutes and sure enough almost an hour later and a very efficient young lady who insisted calling me on my mobile to confirm who I was, cancelled the two purchases and advised how further to protect my account so I'm currently impressed with e-bay, though not the time it takes to be put through to a human (albeit American)...........

One very relieved Popeye...............:thumb:.......Griff

Reading Joy's (movan) thread, I wondered if any one else has had troubles?

• Like Like x 5
  2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hope you changed your PayPal as well, how did they pay for them?

Peter

• Like Like x 3
  3. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Somebody bought a Gelert wind blocker using my account:Angry:

Oh.......it was me. Senior moment:Blush::Wink:

• Like Like x 8
  4. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

ebay have a very speedy anti-phishing service.

If you ever receive an email claiming to be from ebay and you're not sure just forward it to spoof@ebay.co.uk, they will reply quite quickly.

Paypal have a similar service, just forward to spoof@paypal.com

Last edited: May 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  5. enery8

enery8 Funster

We had a similar occurrence a couple of years ago.
    We reckon it was someone local as we would have normally been away at that time. Apparently I had purchased an all terrain vehicle :Eeek:, fortunately we had not been able to attend our regular camp and so were at home and got our emails.
    I reported this to the local police WHO DID NOT WANT TO KNOW!!!:Angry::Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

I got one from "PayPal" this week asking me to log on via the email and verify my purchases due to recent unusual activity on my account
    I ignored it, deleted email immediately and logged on to my PayPal account from my work computer which has no connection to my personal email.

Nothing going on in PayPal at all - a phishing email

Never, never go to your account from an email

• Like Like x 2
  7. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I did Peter, this was part of their further advice.........:thumb: Griff

8. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I get those almost every week and no I would never log onto a site from a link, my point was the email WAS from eBay as they used my correct i.d. and they were most efficient once I phoned them........be careful out there..... :thumb:

9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We had this a few years ago but the other way round, people got into our account and listed loads of phones for sale, we only knew when we got an email confirming sales!!!!! :Eek!:

Ebay were good once we managed to 'speak' to someone though, not always easy, and you can do live chat on the web I believe to get quicker action.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

On ebay or paypal if you or a fake change the passwords, you (the registered user) will always get an email from ebay or paypal advissing you that it has been changed, it always has your full registered natural name in the text

Peter

• Like Like x 6
  11. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Struggling a bit here mate. If they said you had changed your email addy, why did they contact you on your old one?? And how did you manage to get into your account to change your password, if the email addy had been altered???

• Like Like x 1
  12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

When I first started a PayPal account I got spam within 24 hours relating to the account. It made me very wary and nothing since has changed. The OP was conned simple as that, but nothing to be embarrassed about. The spammers are very clever these days and will no doubt get cleverer still. I think e-mail needs a good sorting out to prevent this sort of criminal activity.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Quite simply because if you change your postal address or your email or even your password, they will ALWAYS write to your old one just in-case you haven't changed it.....simples. See note below from Johns Cross MoHomes.

No the OP wasn't conned..........the OP had his e-bay account compromised and e-bay sent off a GENUINE email alerting me of this which saved the day, obviously you don't read all the posts or you would have grasped this.......:Eeek: ... it was sent out as a warning to all that even the most astute can get their account hi-jacked.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Popeye

Popeye Funster

As per this from Peter

15. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Only asked.

• Like Like x 1
  16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Let's not fall out over this but someone conned by a clever scam. How they did it, hijacking the account or whatever, is immaterial, the people who did it were criminals. If an hour after changing the password someone takes money out of the account then it suggests to me something is wrong.

Personally I would be very wary about any request to change my password or log in details. It is a classic spammers technique and because they can make their email look as if it came from someone genuine is clearly quite effective.

My reading of ALL of the posts may be wrong, in which case people need to explain themselves better!

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Definitely committed by a criminal but strictly speaking it's a hack and a con isn't it?

1. Somebody hacked into Griff's eBay account and changed the e-mail address.
    2. As part of normal security eBay sent a message to the original e-mail address, which allowed Griff to sign in (done using eBay Id not e-mail address) and make the necessary account corrections.
    3. In the meantime the criminal conned a seller or sellers by buying two phones. That resulted in messages being sent to Griff's e-mail address rather than that of the criminal because he had been able to correct the account details.

• Like Like x 3
  18. 163phil

163phil Read Only Funster

Is there a link?

Post deleted. That'll teach me to read the thread!!

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  19. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Thank you Graham, perfectly concise summary of the essential points. The whole picture is necessary in order that one can appreciate the lengths these scum bags will go to in order to separate you from your hard-earned.

If I was guilty of anything it was that I was using a puny 6 digit password which had similarities to other passwords on other sites, a sin most readers of this are guilty of.

This is no longer the case if they get hold of the computer (lastpass) generated password which is 20- digits, both upper and lower case and alpha numeric then they deserve their cheap phones. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  20. sedge

sedge Funster

Your mission, should you decide to take it, is to remember the bloody thing ! :Doh:

• Like Like x 1