LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The additional information she required should have been supplied by the dealer that did the uprating

Might I enquire what additional information was requested? I am still awaiting my new V5C.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
And just to keep a sense of balance.
Took the cherished plate off the car 'online' on Thursday.
Got the new V5 for the new No. on Saturday and got the Retention Cert for the cherished No. today.

All this was done on line with no human intervention.
The human intervention part is where it would seem to fall down.
The fact that that is a service which you PAY for up front may have a little to do with it!

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Sent off to retain the number off my previous van. Got the retention certificate back and the new number for the van, all within a week.

Bought a new van and sent the retention certificate off to assign the number to the new van. Got the documentation back within 5 days.

And it was all done by post.

In fact, every time I've done a transfer it's been a painless experience either via the local office (Chester) before it closed or via Royal Mail to Swansea.

No complaints here. Well done DVLA.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Up date on the Licence posted 23/06/15, I rang them today 10/08/15 still no Licence in the post, I was told yes they have my application and it's been passed to the Medical revue team on the 07/08/15 and they are still working on early July Applications, so mine will be in 5 weeks with a bit of luck.

Took 14 days to do mine,,,excellent service,,,BUSBY:):)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The fact that that is a service which you PAY for up front may have a little to do with it!

But you pay up front for all the services that involve the breath of humans.
It took them forever to decide that I wasn't telling porkies when I pointed out that my Hobby motorhome wasn't a Trigano. Even then, I couldn't Register it as a Hobby "The computer says No." I had to Register it as a Fiat.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Might I enquire what additional information was requested?
She asked merely for evidence of what the weight was, using a pro-forma letter. It seems that the dealer did not supply the uprating information from SVTech, which I have now sent off.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I can't speak for the DVLA but please let me speak on behalf of the people who work in contact centers in general.

Having spent a couple of years as the manager of a team in a contact centre (long story, involving a badly broken leg...) dealing with the public on behalf of a large city council, I can tell you how frustrating and difficult it can be for the staff at times.

Fortunately all calls were recorded and every time there was a complaint it worked in the favour of the agent. Let me give you an example.

A caller rang to complain that a council official had missed an appointment. This went through the supervisor and was passed to me as the team's manager. The caller insisted that she had made the appointment for Thursday morning (I can't remember the date but let's call it the 5th of April) as she had to take time off from work to be at home. It was definitely Thursday morning (5th of April) as she had written it in her diary shortly after making the appointment.

She was most insistent and when I pointed out that the agent had assured me the appointment day and date was as she requested, she said that the agent must be mistaken or lying!

I took her number and said that I would call back after I had listened to her call. When I did so I heard her clearly state that she wanted the appointment for Friday the 6th of April - so my agent was correct and she was wrong.

I called her back and informed her that she had indeed made the appointment for the Friday and that the council official would be there the next morning. Did she apologize? No, she went silent for a second and then put the 'phone down!

I also managed another team whilst their manager was on holiday and their work involved permits that needed a form filling in and some documents sending in. Quite a simple form and a couple of documents - no problem really. However quite a large percent of the forms were sent in not filled in with the correct information, a lot did not send the documents as well. Each of these caused a delay, not only to the applicant but also to others who had sent the correct information as staff were tied up dealing with the incorrect forms. Quite often the people sending in the wrong information etc. would 'phone up complaining we had taken too long to get the permit back to them!

Remember there are always two sides to any story. :)

The people at the other end of the telephone are just that, people, human beings, and most often they are doing a good job for not a lot of money.

KH

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I updated my licence last week on line "did it on the Monday got my licence on the Thursday " fantastic service I think 10 out of 10.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have done a lot of work in call centres (including DVLA) on the equipment side & still do a bit of contract work. I have overheard many calls with idiot customers and have sympathies with what call centre staff have to put up will.

This has not been the problem will DVLA, DVLA functioned perfectly well until they closed down the local offices. By not taking on enough additional staff to cover the extra workload and implementing a policy of totally rejecting any applications if they were not word perfect without any consultation with the customer. They also made it almost totally impossible to contact them and if you did find a phone number and get though after an hour they refuse to answer any questions. This has turned them into the most unhelpful government office that has ever existed. It's no wonder most of the public think they are complete numpties.

The situation has improved a bit in the last month or so and there is now an easy to find phone number that gets answered fairly quickly and they look up your info on their system and give you an answer. With the amount of millions that have been ploughed into DVLA they have no excuse for delivering such a poor service, lets just hope it gets better from now on.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
KH, you're quite right to point out that the call centre agents are people doing their best to do a good job. The problem with call centres is almost always with the organisational system, which frequently prevents the agents from doing what they and the customers/clients want to do. Lenny points out how the DVLA system has changed for the worse.

See http://vanguard-method.net for loads more information.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I updated my licence last week on line "did it on the Monday got my licence on the Thursday " fantastic service I think 10 out of 10.

Hi Jacky
You can't have renewed your C1 on line If you are coming up to 70,you need a Medical and Optical report to send of with your application and want to drive a MH over 3.5 ton's, IF you are not in that age bracket it's different and I suppose you can just renew on line, as I am 70 in September I have to do the above. Pete

Ps I noticed you put updated not renewed , so I am unsure now what you applied for.

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Peter coming up to 70 in October don't want to drive anything over 3.5 ton ,anything bigger you carry to much stuff you don't use an it drinks to much diesel,so sticking to 3.5 ton ,I have no need for a C1 , so you have to play the waiting game I'm afraid .

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Peter coming up to 70 in October don't want to drive anything over 3.5 ton ,anything bigger you carry to much stuff you don't use an it drinks to much diesel,so sticking to 3.5 ton ,I have no need for a C1 , so you have to play the waiting game I'm afraid .

Hi Jacky
Perhaps I should have done the same, but my present MH is 4.250 so a bit stuck, if I don't get the C1 :( I will have to have a rethink. Pete :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I misplaced my V5, spoke to a very helpful lady who promised a replacement in the post the same day (after I paid the fee of course). I thought "Here we go" but the new V5 arrived next day. Very impressed and wrote to tell them so.

The V5 for the new car also arrived within two weeks. As I was paying the VED by monthly DD I just stopped that. Had a couple of emails from them them telling me I had cancelled the DD and needed to tell them if it was off the road or if there was a change of registered keeper but as I had already done that I ignored the emails and received the notification that I was no longer the registered keeper last week.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Perhaps I should have done the same, but my present MH is 4.250 so a bit stuck, if I don't get the C1 :( I will have to have a rethink. Pete :)

Have your present MH de-rated to 3.5T when the time comes, if that will still provide sufficient payload of course.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
I have been waiting 4 weeks for my V5 to be returned having uprated the vehicle via SvTech. As we are off to Europe in September I gave them a call to find out what was happening. Very pleasant and helpful man checked and said I should expect to receive it back in the next 5 to 7 days. When I asked what happens if I don't receive it he suggested calling them back at end of next week and they can issue a temporary certificate. He was confident it would be returned within the timeframe. I just hope it's correct when it does come back!! Fingers x

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Like I said they do seem to have improved their system over the last few weeks, but not seen any results yet.
Hoping to get my V5 back this week, only been waiting since the end of April.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny hb

As far as your circs are concerned you respectfully need a lesson in English Grammar.

You should entitled this thread as; DVLA What! A Service??????
Just posted a new thread and in the drop down box my DVLA title was correct, looks like the forum software corrupted it.:)

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Still no V5 chased them again today, they now say it was issued on the 14th (told me previously they would post it on the 10th) so looks like it's on the way to me and they are going to investigate why I haven't had a refund.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Still no V5 chased them again today, they now say it was issued on the 14th (told me previously they would post it on the 10th) so looks like it's on the way to me and they are going to investigate why I haven't had a refund.

Dealing with DVLA seems to be something of a lottery. Some receive their updated V5C in a couple of weeks whilst others wait 3 months or more. I hope yours arrives soon and has the correct figures.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
They don't like me, when I registered the van last year I had grief, had to get DVLA MD's PA to intervene to get it sorted, moved very quick then, sorted same day will hourly updates on the phone.

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Hi all, after successful bypass operation I applied for renewal of my 7.5ton license sent recorded delivery reached DVLA on the 30th June. Up to now heard nothing. I think it's disgusting after closing all regional offices not enough staff at Swansea. Barrie

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi all, after successful bypass operation I applied for renewal of my 7.5ton license sent recorded delivery reached DVLA on the 30th June. Up to now heard nothing. I think it's disgusting after closing all regional offices not enough staff at Swansea. Barrie
HI Barrie
I had the same in 1991, My C1 run's out 11th Sept, sent my app in 23trd June, I phoned them last week they acknowledged they had it in the system and it had gone to the medical review team who at that time were dealing with case's submitted to them on the 3rd of August so mine would be at least another 5 weeks which will then be after my Birthday on the 12th, the girl on the phone said if that happened I could get permission from my Doctor to drive, time will tell. Pete

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
I have been waiting 4 weeks for my V5 to be returned having uprated the vehicle via SvTech. As we are off to Europe in September I gave them a call to find out what was happening. Very pleasant and helpful man checked and said I should expect to receive it back in the next 5 to 7 days. When I asked what happens if I don't receive it he suggested calling them back at end of next week and they can issue a temporary certificate. He was confident it would be returned within the timeframe. I just hope it's correct when it does come back!! Fingers x
I am still waiting! I will be on the phone tomorrow to see where it is. will let you know how I get on:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back