DVLA says "failure to insure" (1 Viewer)

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
[QUOTE="Fifiwi, post: 2111052, member
If you have sent them proof of your insurance and they still keep messing with you isn't this bullying and harassment? Just got one of our major companies to get lost with that one. It's worth a try especially a government department.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
If you have sent them proof of your insurance and they still keep messing with you isn't this bullying and harassment? Just got one of our major companies to get lost with that one. It's worth a try especially a government department.
No, The Protection from Harassment Act 1997 contains a provision where acts carried out by or on behalf of the crown, in the economic well being, or the investigation of an alleged crime/misdemeanour are generally excluded from the crime of harassment. A well used ploy by the TVLA and local authorities.

It's perfectly in order to ask the magistrates for a costs order, or otherwise issue a small claim against them armed with the outcome of the magistrate's dismissal of their case (or their apology)

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Oops

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Hi everyone. I have just read the initial post about this and decided to check the MID database against our moho reg. no. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrgh..... it is not shown on the database as being insured!!!!!!

Instant phone call to insurer ensued-she checked MID too and agreed-checked my policy details which are spot on.

She says its probably a 'glitch' and will re-submit the details and let me know-waiting with trepidation!

Have only made one trip in moho-about 2 1/2 weeks ago and passed dozens of cameras both on and off the motorway.
Expecting some postal contact from DVLA soon!

Will keep you posted on the outcome.

Can I also suggest that any other mohomers who have recently, like us, insured...check the Motor Insurance Database to see if your vehicle is on there.
AND DON'T FORGET TO POST ON HERE!!!

Last edited:

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Hi everyone. I have just read the initial post about this and decided to check the MID database against our moho reg. no. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrgh..... it is not shown on the database as being insured!!!!!!

Instant phone call to insurer ensued-she checked MID too and agreed-checked my policy details which are spot on.

She says its probably a 'glitch' and will re-submit the details and let me know-waiting with trepidation!

Have only made one trip in moho-about 2 1/2 weeks ago and passed dozens of cameras both on and off the motorway.

Can I also suggest that any other mohomers who have recently, like us, insured...check the Motor Insurance Database to see if your vehicle is on there.

Have just re-checked the MID site now and out moho is now shown as insured! I should bloody well think so too!!!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Mine too I own a "Fiat Cheyenne" How nice the only one ever made (y)

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!

Update today. Vehicle now on MID as insured(electronic message re-sent by insurance company) Insurance co. have contacted me to tell me this also. I suggested they select someone at their firm to check on vehicles newly or re-insured with them to prevent this happening as for one thing, it is bad for their business if someone publicises such an error and for another, it could save them money in possible legal costs, should an insured be bothered by the dvla as in the OP.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
You also need to inform them that you will be invoicing them ÂŁx per hour or part hour for every email/phone cal etc that you have had to make . Also that you require compensation for the stress & inconvenience etc; + vat if you are a business.
Yup.....good advise.
We had problems with a bank and they offered ÂŁ10 as compensation....I said 'no chance' and fined them for each cock-up which came to ÂŁ100 and they paid it. :)

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
One of my cars was insured with Ford and it didn't appear on MID,I rang Ford and they said that it takes a few weeks for details to go on the database;I informed them that the local rozzers and ANPRs are having a 'purge',if my vehicle is seized I will be billing them for any costs incurred-it was on within 24 hours!
I always ask when insuring the name of the operative and when details will be posted.

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Just checked all my "5" vehicles. Dam I must be spending way to much on insurance these days. All listed on MID thankfully.

Sounds a real headache the OP is having. I hate all these black and white red tape rules and regs this country has that just cocks it up for real people. Automatic stuff should be able to have a big red stop button put on them by a person.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
mine was not on the data base last year, rang the insurance co and found out that they had the wrong reg number, someone had put a v instead of a u.
sorted in 24 hours

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Point taken, pyro. I just had to check that bit about DVLA having allegedly been in touch with AIB. Now, it seems we have confirmation that our mystery letter writer is a liar.
Mr is today sending a reply, again asking for a callback..(ever the optimist) and a full apology for the intimidation.
Any outcome yet?

OP
OP
F

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Any outcome yet?

Ah, yes, @Yorick . Thanks for asking. Funnily enough, we had another response from our unnamed, and unsigned Enforcement Officer at DVLA on Saturday. Seems they are "making further enquiries" in view of Mr's comments....and they will write when those enquiries have been concluded.

Hmmm...looks like someone is starting to do their job properly...:xdoh:

(I love the new Christmas smilies, Thanks @Jim

OP
OP
F

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Another brown envelope from DVLA today........

WELL, WELL..."Thank you for responding...blah blah...we have been able to confirm that the vehicle is now on the MID " (actually it was weeks ago, but that didn't stop them pursuing us) DVLA will no longer pursue the fixed penalty, and apologise for any inconvenience caused."

Next paragraph points out that it is our Insurers' responsibility to ensure the vehicle is registered on the MID.
Hmmm....but it's clearly easier to chase the owner, and try to extort the fine -ÂŁ100. :xangry:

The usual unsigned Enforcement Officer goes on to thank Mr for his co-operation. They've again enclosed a return envelope. Maybe for a Christmas card??? :xrofl:

Slightly disappointed we won't get the chance to face them in court, and prove them to be incompetent. We now need to get some recompense for the unwarranted hassle, postage, calls etc..

Our advice? DON'T PAY ........ I suppose someone may have just paid up....not us, though!!

Many thanks for the supportive messages on here. :xThumb:

JT1

Free Member
Jan 29, 2017
England
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
2 weeks!
Glad to see you've got it sorted...at last.
Suspect you probably have moved on and put it behind you now but if it still rankles then there is something you can do about it.
Make an official complaint to DVLA at:
http://www.gov.uk/government/organi...e-licensing-agency/about/complaints-procedure
has the details of how to complain. You have lots to complain about - apart from the main issue there are things like promised phone calls not being made, unsigned letters, etc. If you've kept a note of all the phone calls letters etc in sequence so much the better. I'm sad enough to do this when dealing with public bodies and especially Gas/Electricity suppliers as they're awful.
At the same time you raise a complaint write to your MP with a detailed time line of what's happened. S/he will contact DVLA at a higher level usually CEO or Departmental Head so you will have them in a pincer movement. Things should then start to move.
It's a faff but worth it if it's still bugging you and you will get an outcome, especially if your MP is engaged. You can keep the pressure on by updating her/him when/if DVLA don't respond in the given time. If nothing else it means you're in the dominant position with DVLA which makes a change.
All the best whatever you decide you want to do. (y)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It would be funny if somebody who WAS insured fought the fine all the way to court :)

Then see what the law says :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back