Dvla Re-classification

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Figaro, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Following on from the recent posts regarding permitted weights and weighbridges I saw that those that uprated the weight found the road tax reduced as a bonus.
    My Hymer has always been plated at 3850kg and classed as private light goods and road tax is £230.
    It seems if it were classed as private HGV road tax would be £165 !
    So I contacted DVLA to ask if it can be re-classified. It seems it can be but requires some form filling, V70 and V85 together with a fee of £25. They also want a plating certificate which I don`t have so I`ll have to work around that one.
    Apart from the obvious £65 annual saving are there any downsides I should be aware of before doing this ?
    I wasn`t particularly bothered one way or the other but as I see it it`s a free tank of fuel each year (y)

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

It appears that you have been paying the wrong tax for a while!

If you don't intend to down plate it to 3500kg then you need to get the details corrected to 3850kg so you pay the correct tax and then comply with the speed limits (abroad) and restrictions that being over 3500kg brings ... one thing to check now however is your current breakdown/recovery provision as some don't deal with vehicles plated over 3500kg whether in the correct vehicle class or not! :eek:

3. Figaro

Figaro Funster

I want to keep it at 3850 as it`s got the usual extras that would probably make it very borderline useable at 3500 !
    I only just bought it last month !

• Like Like x 1
  4. Minxy Girl

Might be worth visiting a weighbridge fully loaded first and checking which classification you really fall into in practice ... if 3500kg then you could down plate and pay more road tax but then not have other things to consider; if over 3500kg then instead get it changed to 3850kg officially with the DVLA and pay less tax.

Have you tried contacting whoever you bought to from and playing 'hell' with them about the 'mess' you've found yourself in and getting them to sort it out?

5. rapido convert

rapido convert

you have been paying plg tax, ask for a tax refund for all the years you have paid. At 3850 kgs plated weight you have always been phg taxation class, their mistake not your problem, you will probably talk to someone without any knowledge on the subject so ask for the line manager to call you.
    the dvla are a nightmare it took nearly two months to sort out a simple weight upgrade on our bus.
    good luck
    Andy .

6. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

My V5 was incorrect and officially DVLA wanted a 'plating certificate' but I sent them a good quality photo of the chassis plate and a letter and they accepted that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Voyger1010

Voyger1010 Funster

Hi
    Just check that it hasn't been re-plated downward at some point in the past before you had it and hadn't bothered to tell, as someone I know, carries two plates on his van one at 3500kg and one at 3850kg, in different places in the cab.
    However it goes if your van is plated at 3850kg then the tax PHG is £165 . There are companies around, that will do the re-plating up or down for you with the plate and paperwork.
    I guess weighbridge would be my next stop and weigh it as empty as you can get it, that will at least give you a weight you can compare to what the Hymer model specs say. Hope it all helps you to enjoy your new motorhome

8. Minxy Girl

Details on the DVLA website here:

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/what-evidence-to-give

Whilst our new van will be plated at 3500kg as standard due to the chassis it's built on it can be up-plated without any modification, just a request to the DVLA to change it's classification ... whilst we're not intending to do this once we've got everything fettled and loaded if we're close to the limit at least we have the option to do so! (y)

9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

What weight does it give on your V5?
    May been plated down to 3500 & there is another plate somewhere.

10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

That is correct you mustn't put the new plate over the old one.
    I've just received my new plate from SV Tech, I spoke to them about fitting it that is the advice they gave me.
    So when I go into a French village that has a 3.5T limit they can see the plate on the side of the van & if I get stopped for a eight check I show them the new plate. A win win situation.:D

• Like Like x 2
  11. Manic

Manic Funster

Same here, not through SVTech, but I put my new weight plate inside drivers door.(n)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Figaro

Figaro Funster

No not at all, I don`t consider it a mess, and the seller is a genuine funster and all round good guy. Like me when I taxed it, I guess he just paid what DVLA asked for.
    Thanks to all for replies

13. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Just looked on V5 and it does not specify any weight. Should it be under (Y) revenue weight, F1 Max permissable mass or G mass in service. All these are blank on my V5

14. Figaro

Figaro Funster

No other plate visible anywhere
    Sounds like it may be a DVLA mistake in not having weight on V5 to refer to ?
    Not so happy then to pay the £25 fee they`re asking for, I may try and argue it with them and try and get it waived.
    Am I sounding more like a Yorkshire man as this goes on ? (which I`m not)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Voyger1010

Voyger1010 Funster

I wish you all the luck in the world, your going to need it, to argue that one:rolleyes::)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nethernut

Nethernut Read Only Funster

How did you get your new plate - is there a way without going via SV Tech?

17. Minxy Girl

I've just had a shuftie at mine, it states the following:

(X) Taxation class = Private/Light Goods (PLG)
    (Y) Revenue weight = 3500kg gross​

Nothing under (G) Mass in service

weights.jpg

As I have a PVC I wonder if it is different to a coachbuilt?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Figaro

Figaro Funster

It`s the (Y) revenue weight that is missing where the error seems to have arrisen. It looks like it got overlooked somewhere along the line or DVLA never asked. I`ll see what happens, may be in for a long haul..........

• Like Like x 1
  19. Voyger1010

Voyger1010 Funster

No it's to do with the weight and your vehicle body type is classed as a motor caravan. If it was 3850kg it would be a private Heavy good PHG but as it's 3500kg it's classed as a Private Light Goods (PLG) and the fact that its a PVC makes no difference to the fact it's a Motor caravan. hope this helps

20. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

I'd like to know the answer to that one too.