Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
When I check my Mondial it confirms it is on the data base. However it comes up with
Vehicle Make/Model:MCIA CVAN MCIA SCHEME

Not quite sure what that means, would have expected either Peugeot Boxer or Swift Mondial Motorhome or suchlike.

Tom

Not necessarily so!
Mine comes up with Vehicle Make/Model: MOTOR HOME ALL

Whatever that means.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not necessarily so!
Mine comes up with Vehicle Make/Model: MOTOR HOME ALL

Whatever that means.

once again......it doesnt tell the police YOU are specifically insured.

but thinking about it.....there is an entry when checked so it DOES show there is insurance...just not your vehicle make.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Phoned them yesterday 11.00am and told them the info on MID was wrong they checked up and confirmed I was right - promised they would correct it immediately - still the same today SO I will keep looking and let you know how long it takes to correct it because that will be the length of time you could be insured without being on there and stand the risk of Plod stopping you because its not on the system

passionwagon

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
somewhere in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
lo profile
Exp
Phoned them yesterday 11.00am and told them the info on MID was wrong they checked up and confirmed I was right - promised they would correct it immediately - still the same today SO I will keep looking and let you know how long it takes to correct it because that will be the length of time you could be insured without being on there and stand the risk of Plod stopping you because its not on the system

:Cool:So why not carry the certificate in the vehicle.:Smile:

net-traveller

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
Funster No
It gets even more mysterious.

Checked the car and shows exactly what I would expect, ie Make & Model.

The MH is a different matter.

It shows -
Vehicle DUMP CODE PRIVATE CAR
Make/Model: GROUP 002

We have had the MH insured with the same company for the last 2 years and last years entry on MID didn't look like that.

I could start making phone calls but have so much aggro over many and varied issues recently that I'm going to ignore it. It's on the Db, so there.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
:Cool:So why not carry the certificate in the vehicle.:Smile:

If you speak to a copper you will find the trick used by many is to go to a company and agree to pay monthly - wait to get your certificate then either cancel the insurance or the direct debit you then have paper proof of insurance that is valid for a 12 month period but you in fact are not insured. So no matter that you have it they will always rely on MID and then call the insurance company for proof if they have doubts. This is the reason why they is MID as being the definitive answer - the new laws also did away with the 14 days third party grace on the back of the certificate that allowed you cover after expiry. We have been with the NFU for 30 years of so now and all insurances were on a monthly account basis - that has been stopped now as the law dictates that motor insurance is only valid when purchased and the day the insurance runs out they must notify MID within 24 hours.

On my insurance policy it allows me to drive any vehicle not owned or leased by me on a Road Traffics Act basis ie the minimum possible cover - as I understand it this was added to all insurance policies for the named person only many years ago to allow anyone covered on an insurance policy to move a vehicle and remain legal. Any vehicle on the road must have insurance on it now specific to that vehicle as well as the driver being insured to drive. So as I understand it you could be insured under your policy to drive ( basic RTA) and still have problems with Plod because the vehicle is not insured unless of course you have a Motor Traders insurance policy.

Strikes me as a minefield these days

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not all insurers give you permision to drive other peoples vehicles . some will need the owners consent some dont. its possible for a crook to steal a car and have insurance if they dont ask the owners permision.
the car doesnt need to be insured if you can drive other persons car on your insurance. but you cant tax it with a certificate that doesnt state reg. some trade ins will allow it.
the computer read out only tells them or you if you have that vehicle disclosed on your
insurance .
its not really a very accurate system at its best. cheers alan.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Landylover (I'll excuss for now being a Lardy fan says the JEEP:thumb: fan) that's as I understand it all.

Scary bit is I only found out about the vehicle haveing to be insure for the RTA cover on my insurance to be valid a few years ago. Saying about the 2 weeks grace period after the insurance ran out, I didn't know of that but, reading one of our polocies, for my 98 Jeep Wrangler it's there on the back that I'm covered third party only for two weeks after the policy finshes, not that'd I'd rely on that but.

Alan, just seen your post.

I believe there has been a recent and quiet change to the effect that ALL vehicles have to have insurance if there is a possibility of the general public getting near them.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
not all insurers give you permision to drive other peoples vehicles . I think they withhold this on young drivers to stop them driving anything else some will need the owners consent some dont. its possible for a crook to steal a car and have insurance if they dont ask the owners permision. Your quite right there Alan it does say with the owners consent.
the car doesnt need to be insured if you can drive other persons car on your insurance. Not 100% on this but I believe this rule changed some time last year that all vehicles must have current insurance on them to be on the road the only exception is Motor Traders who have a limited time without reporting a vehicle on their premises which I think is about 28 days when they must declare them as on site. but you cant tax it with a certificate that doesnt state reg. some trade ins will allow it.

As I say it is a total minefield now and they keep changing the rules without making it public which can easily mean losing you vehicle and paying fines as they always say ignorance is no defence.

How many people out there know that VOSA have exactly the same right of stop as the police and the penalties for non compliance are the same as not stopping for police the only difference I found out last weekend is that if VOSA stop you and you are not seen within 30 minutes you have the right to give them your details and drive off.

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I only picked my van up 2 weeks ago and checked and it list van as" dump code company use" what on earth does that mean? I checked on my old vcan and it still says yes and it lists it as a sundance my new one is a voyager

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its still possible for you to have an insurance that covers you even if you havnt asked the owner for permision.
the insurance covers you whilein your use. if you park it and go shopping you are still using it .if you park it and give someone els the keys you arent using it any more.
i can assure you my son was buying a van from his boss in instalments .he was stopped recently .he showed his insurance .he had to go to court .i thiught he would need a letter from his boss giving permision .but no his insurance allows him to drive even without the owners permision . my son was not the owner as he hadnt paid anything for it and title belonged to his boss.
i was suprised he got away with it .a duty solicitor picked it up as we were going to go with out a solicitor. also you dont have to produce on a 7 day producer .he was going to court as he went in hospital before he could produce .i thought he would have to plead with the court .but no the produce certificate is not really legal you can produce at the court and then its dropped .learn something new every day.
should have been a lawyer .but i,m too nice.ha ha .
alan.

Dec 2, 2009
sussex
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 yrs
I saw this thread last night, checked my campervan, and was pleasantly surprised to find it on there, as I changed companies on May 11th.

Coming home this afternoon I passed a parked police BMW X5, you can probably guess the rest.

Not being far from home, by the time he switched on his blues I was only yards from the house, so ended up parked right outside.

He invited me in to the back of his vehicle and showed me his screen, showing my van as uninsured.

It was all sorted quickly and amicably when I popped in the house for my insurance docs, and to be honest I can stand the odd pull if the system gets more uninsured vehicles off the road.

Strange though, if the database Joe Public can access is more up to date than the police version.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
My info is still wrong on the MID

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Well just checked today and my details are now correct thats 5 working days since Papajohn posted the link and I checked - thats 7 days of driving where you could have been pulled by plod for no better reason than the system is not updated - while plod can always stop you for a check if he isnt happy about something when he does stop you you stand to be checked over and they will try and find something to prove they were right in stopping you.

A few years ago my wife and daughter were in town one evening and were stopped the reason given was the vehicle was not taxed - the problem was theirs the system showed we had bought 6 months tax where as we had 12 months tax so still had 4 months to run - as a result they checked the vehicle out and found a front side light bulb had blown - did not make a scrap of difference as they would have been on headlights and the bulb was in the headlight - still they had a producer and the bulb had to be signed off by an MOT garage - all because of their crap records:Eeek:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you renew your road tax online then the DVLA automatically do an MOT and insurance check as part of the renewal procedure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back