DVLA FINE (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Had a nice letter off the DVLA who are claiming £35 because I did not inform them that I had disposed of our old motorhome
We part exchanged it last year in June through a dealer I don't recall ever having to fill in the V5 in this instance

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've always had to fill in part of the V5 when part exchanging a vehicle. A motorhome is no different. The dealer should have made sure you had the correct part to complete and send off.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Had a nice letter off the DVLA who are claiming £35 because I did not inform them that I had disposed of our old motorhome
We part exchanged it last year in June through a dealer I don't recall ever having to fill in the V5 in this instance
Write back, and tell them you did. They play this money grabbing game far to frequently. You posted it, not your fault if it didnt arrive. Blame it on the Pony Express, (he said, breaking into song....................................) :):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wouldn['t normally condone what Toots says, but they fined me once after my road tax disc was stolen when my car broken into. I informed the police and was given crime number and I put note on window 'Tax Disc Stolen.' Since there was only a month left I didn't contact the DVLA as it is now and presumed that the police being notified was all that was needed.

The DVLA fined me when the police must have notified them .. because I had NOT notified them and thereby not paid a fee for a new tax disc to put on the windscreen. Give the police credit where due, they even tried to help me be excused but to no avail.

Hopefully the new system is improved .. but it still rankles with me. Don't pay.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Do you really expect anybody to agree with you on that? :Eeek:
Yes. (y) I do, and so should you!! Why, I have supported you hill and high water on this very site, you could at least show your gratitude! :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Write back, and tell them you did. They play this money grabbing game far to frequently.

Only problem with that is if it has come to light because the dealer has returned the old V5 complete with ALL parts , & that is how they know the OP hasn't sent it off .
If that's the case could be a problem saying you sent it off.

Regardless of how you dispòse of a vehicle , one part should always be retained & filled in by the seller/part-exchanger/etc.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Write back, and tell them you did. They play this money grabbing game far to frequently. You posted it, not your fault if it didnt arrive. Blame it on the Pony Express, (he said, breaking into song....................................) :):)

Only works if you have proof of posting... They aren't as daft as they appear.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Only works if you have proof of posting... They aren't as daft as they appear.
Not so, Young John. That's out of the window now, in reverse, funny enough. It used to be the catchall excuse for avoiding a speeding fine, however, not any more. The DVLA and Constabulary rules now say that 'pleading non receipt of a speeding fine or excise avoidance notification is not a valid excuse'. So if it's not a valid excuse for you..........(y)(y)

And also 'Proof of posting cannot be deemed proof of receipt'.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
DVLA have no idea what the get in the post from one day to the next...:Eeek:
i sent in a tax disc and a certificate for the change of MGW of my van.... letter back saying that they had received my request and duly completed forms but i had omitted my tax disc and certificate. Which was stapled to the application. :yawn2:

called them and they said "Ahh!" yes! please write and tell us! :swear2:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
DVLA have no idea what the get in the post from one day to the next...:Eeek:
i sent in a tax disc and a certificate for the change of MGW of my van.... letter back saying that they had received my request and duly completed forms but i had omitted my tax disc and certificate. Which was stapled to the application. :yawn2:

called them and they said "Ahh!" yes! please write and tell us! :swear2:

You couldn't make it up could you?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not so, Young John. That's out of the window now,
It appears you are correct.
once the letter is dropped in the postbox, its deemed delivered and its up to the recipient to prove you didnt post it.

DSlA will threaten court action if the fine isnt paid but will back down before it gets to court....allegedly.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
DVLA always used to send summonses etc out recorded delivery. They stopped this practice many years ago and started sending out all such correspondence first class mail. This as because legal opinion (accepted by the magistrates courts) says that sending by first class mail is "good service". I believe the Act in question was the Interpretation Act 1978. Quote this at them if they threaten legal action - it is, I believe, the reason they drop so many cases immediately prior to the court action. Most people don't challenge them of course as they are a Government body which is why they continue to make so much money for the government.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back