DVLA arghhhhhhhhh (1 Viewer)

Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
Not sure this is the right section but I need to let off steam.
At the end of March I bought a secondhand Motorhome from a reputable dealer but the DVLA are making it impossible to drive.
The Motorhome has the tax class "disabled" from the previous owner and can I change it to PLG and tax the vehicle - no. Despite trying 14 times at 4 different Post Offices and 6 conversations with the DVLA I am still no nearer getting the vehicle taxed. DVLA say there is no reason why the Post Office cannot change the taxation class and it must be the counter clerks not doing it correctly. I cannot believe that 5 different counter clerks at 4 Offices can all be wrong. DVLA will not listen, you can follow all their "advice", get nowhere, go back to DVLA to be told "there is no reason why the PO should not be able to change the tax class" Requests to speak to someone on the next rung up the ladder are met with a not very polite refusal.
Any advice out there before I decide to take the Motorhome out untaxed and risk getting caught on one of these number plate recognition cameras.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
what a nightmare, but can you not tax it through the dvla themselves rather than go to a post office, please don't get caught without tax, there are cameras everywhere..

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
and another thought, if you bought from a reputable dealer, could you ask them to get the taxation class of the motorhome changed for you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Attila the Hen
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
DVLA help said they could not tax the vehicle "we are not allowed to take money, it has to be done through the post office"

But hey, the DVLA complaints system works!!!
Made a complaint yesterday and had a call this morning from a real human being saying they appreciate I had been trying to get the vehicle taxed without success and they would bypass the system for me and tax the vehicle manually. Just need to send in the V5 and a V10 and a cheque and they will tax the vehicle for me and change the tax class for future use.
People 1 Computer Systems 0

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
DVLA help said they could not tax the vehicle "we are not allowed to take money, it has to be done through the post office"

I haven't used the post office to tax a vehicle for years. Every single vehicle I've taxed probably for the past 10 years has been done online at the DVLA website and they've been quite happy to take money there.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Glad your sorted although I find it hard to believe a 'reputable'dealer
let you collect the van without it correctly taxed!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

But hey, the DVLA complaints system works!!!
Made a complaint yesterday and had a call this morning from a real human being saying they appreciate I had been trying to get the vehicle taxed without success and they would bypass the system for me and tax the vehicle manually. Just need to send in the V5 and a V10 and a cheque and they will tax the vehicle for me and change the tax class for future use.
People 1 Computer Systems 0
If you are lucky you might get it taxed in the next 5-6 weeks.:LOL:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Glad your sorted although I find it hard to believe a 'reputable'dealer
let you collect the van without it correctly taxed!

Good point. If they let you drive it off their forecourt without it being taxed that would suggest to me that the dealer isn't reputable at all.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Good point. If they let you drive it off their forecourt without it being taxed that would suggest to me that the dealer isn't reputable at all.
They probably spent months trying.:LOL:

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
It has always been possible to re-licence a vehicle using the appropriate forms, V5(registration document) and, in this case because of a tax class change, V10. The V10 is available on line and may be at a Post Office (I don't know?). There was a time, of course, where all of this could have been done a DVLA local office (with a real person to help) but the Government chose to close all these down in favour of an on-line supposedly improved service. (For improved, read cheaper to operate rather than "enhanced customer service" of course!).

Such is progress!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Is it that small post offices can't do the job but bigger branches (say in cities) can? Don't know for sure but it's just a thought. A bit like Passport Check & Send - only possible in larger branches.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
No complaints about DVLA here.
Just bought a new car from a dealer, V5 arrived within a couple of days of registration.
I then swapped over my plate from old car to new car, doing the transfer online. Two days later the new V5s dropped on the doormat.
I guess they're pretty good at doing what they're set up for - perhaps a little less efficient when it comes to correcting mistakes or doing anything less 'normal'.
(...are Funsters normal ?)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
No complaints re DVLA here either got my stolen car back late Saturday night, ordered a new personalised plate Sunday evening, paperwork arrived at home yesterday and sent off today, hopefully I should be able to buy new plates before the end of the week.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Some post offices offering DVLA cant change from disabled nil tax to paying tax . The system is blocked for certain tax classes and the training given on vehicle tax is nil . There is no problem on normal run of the mill transactions but anything unusual causes difficulties

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We had that problem with a motorhome we bought. In the end the salesman drove us up to the nearest DVLA place, dumped us in the pub and then went in to get it sorted out. Never used to be able to do it through the post office.

Things have probably changed now as I don't think they've got the regional offices now.

Joe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back