DVD Player

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Esmerelda, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Esmerelda

Esmerelda

We want a portable type DVD player with screen for our motorhome. We don't want a TV as part of owning a motorhome for us is the fact that it forces us to do something different and not be a slave to the box in the corner! However, we thought it would be nice to have the facility to watch DVDs from time to time. Can anyone recommend please?

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

More flexible and useful in a MH is a laptop. Keep up with FUN and watch your disks. Of course even better is to transfer your DVDs to the laptop hard drive and save all that space and weight.

You could also to this with a tablet that can take either a USB DVD drive or a USB hard drive.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

nurse, nurse, Brian sounds normal, there must be something terribly wrong with him.

4. Irishrover

Irishrover Read Only Funster

As Hilldweller says.......Laptop is your answer, you have your dvd player plus so much more(y)

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

My profound apologies to all members of FUN. I maybe going through the menspause.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Not sure I agree with this. A laptop is OK if there is just one of you wanting to watch but given the narrow angle of viewing then two of you would have to sit ear to ear to see more than a purple blur. A pair of external speakers is also necessary if you're not to listen to films that sound like they were made in a tin can.

There are lots of cheapish TVs that have DVD players built in. It's a good thing to have an earphone socket as well in case only one of you wants to watch without disturbing the other.

We don' t watch TV at home but record all the major series and take them with us when we are away in winter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I agree if you want to watch and enjoy a film it has to be on a decent sized screen.
    If you enjoy a good movie and that's all you want,a tv dvd is what you need.If you've not got an aerial or dish you won't get tv anyway !

Vlad

8. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Again not entirely true. A TV with decent viewing angles and a decent display will cost the same as a laptop with an even better screen. My laptop is around 5 years old, has an HD display, runs W10, and has 90+ degree horizontal & vertical viewing angles. Cost me £200 about 3 years ago.

9. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

OK, our solution for the DVD issue (mainly for my daughter). We have a Cello LED TV, which retracts into it's little compartment. These have a USB input, and will play movies from a USB hard drive. I have 'ripped' about 200 DVD's onto the USB HDD, meaning that I don't have to lug 200 Peppa Pig DVD's around with us on holiday, that and bleeding chick flicks for the wife! :D
    The only downside is it is quite time consuming to rip a DVD, 3 hours per disk! But once they are done that is it.

10. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Daniel: What software do you use to do this please ? We have no problems transferring the dozens of DVDs of programmes we've recorded from the TV but can't transfer commercial DVDs to the hard drive.

11. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I use two mainly, the easiest to use is makeMKV, which as the name suggests creates an MKV video container, this will play on a few devices, with add on software. It is available at makemkv.com
    A more useful piece of software is VideoLAN's VLC media player, there is a menu option to save and convert DVD's, if you google videoLAN, you should find their site, it is a .org site. Just read the small print, it tries to install search assistants as you go through, make sure you hit decline when offered. This gives you the option to create an MP4, which every device will play out of the box.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Many thanks. Will give it a go.