DVD copying software (legally)??

Discussion in 'Computers' started by FJmike, Oct 17, 2015.

1. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Having just treated myself to a new tablet I thought it would be good for watching some of my dvds whilst away in the van. I have tried several free programs downloaded from the net to rip my dvds but have had little or no success. Does anyone know of a good program that will get through the encrytion and be able to copy my dvds as I have no intention of becoming a pirate just want to watch dvds that I own on my tablet.

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

No issues with making a digital copy for your own use, think they changed the rules sometime ago..

Ref software. Free make.. Do a web search, free and I have used it for quiet a few years.. Simple to use.

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

3. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

4. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

5. Gromett

Gromett Funster

6. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

7. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I have used THIS for many years....... it's brill (y) It strips the DVD of adverts, trailers, unnecessary sound, subtitles, languages etc.......... and will compress as required to a single sided disc.

As it happens we don't watch many DVD's any more (now we've got 800 films haha)

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

As listed above there are programmes which will remove the copyright and allow you to make copies. I've used one myself but the problem for the film distributors is once you have removed the protection the subsequent copy can be distributed widely - and is!

9. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

That's true.........

As it happens it is illegal to copy any film without permission even if as a backup :eek: Didn't stop me tho', my view was that having hired the film I had paid my dues and the copy was so that I could watch the film at a later date! (we still have around 150 that we have never watched).

However I never make further copies so I don't consider myself a 'video pirate'. I am still breaking the law however :(

10. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

Used makemkv (http://www.makemkv.com), creates an mkv file, which is quite large 4-5gb for a film. You need to make sure you can play it back, both Avtex and Cello tvs are fine, with the right software so are pc and android.

If you want smaller file then Handbrake, is ok, i find it not so good for removing the encrytion. Can produce mp4, it can convert mkv to mp4, but i do not bother.