Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I use a sleeping bag but do not do it up, a bit like a duvalay I suppose. the wife sleeps in the back bed and has a military green maggot arctic sleeping bag don up to the neck and a hood up. She feels the cold AND It keeps me away, a long way away. I have a moggot as well but never got, THAT cold, yet.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We use a duvet when really chilly and a throw the rest of the year.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are firmly in the duvet camp, in fact we sleep on one and one over us, taking no chances :) but we have a transverse king size over garage bed (at present)

but great thread, I have wondered (worried) exactly what would we do if we end up in single beds which seem to be the more common layout to my preferred island bed

glad to see a double or possibly king size wrap over works well (y) should we go down that single bed option

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It they are fixed single beds then make them up as you would a single bed at home - fitted sheet on the mattress and a single duvet on top.

If you are talking about using the lounge sofas a 2 single beds then using a double duvet each folded so you are the 'filling' in the sandwich is best as this keeps you snug and also stops the duvet sliding off you at night as it would if it was a single one!

Can't stand sleeping bags of any sort - hubby bought me a lovely 'maggot' one but no way was I gonna use it as one minute I can be freezing and the next roasting ... the thought of trying to quickly 'tear' my way out of a sleeping bag when I'm having a hot flush is NOT appealing!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have twin single beds, use 4.5 tog duck down duvets in summer & 9 tog in winter never use heating at night never been cold with the 9 tog although they can fix together if needed. 9 tog proving a bit too warm at the moment.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think the layout of your van determines the answer to this more than anything else. We have a u-shaped lounge, so we use sleeping bags, our daughter has claimed the overcab bed, and uses a duvet. If you have a fixed bed, I think the duvet would work best, in fact that is what we did when we rented a fixed bed.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We use sleeping bags in the camper and a duvet in the MH. Our sleeping bags are good quality 4 season bags for general use or 3 season bags for our summer trips to France / Spain (what season rating are yours @Keypresser ?). We use sleeping bag liners for added warmth if required or use on their own when it is warm at night. They are also easier to wash than sleeping bags.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
We have a make up double bed in the van and we just take the duvet off our bed at home and put it in the van with a mattress topper and a sheet (if its really cold) .............simples

The Tincas

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We have a make up double bed in the van and we just take the duvet off our bed at home and put it in the van with a mattress topper and a sheet (if its really cold) .............simples

The Tincas
Saves washing.....!!;)

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
We are also having the same debate, we have now been away in our (new to us) twin bed MH for the past two weekends having brought fitted sheets and duvets to replace the sleeping bags we had used in our previous two vans, but i must admit that we are both struggling to adapt to life without the sleeping bag and whilst we will 'give the duvets a chance' at this stage the jury is out!

Mar 2, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Lowline coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2000
Definetly a duvet - got a His 'n' Hers one (Amazon) - 14 Tog my side, 7 Tog on hubby's. And I still wake up some mornings with his half folded back on top of mine - no complaints from me though!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We've gone for duvelay for our MH but not slept in her yet. Life keeps throwing obstacles at us....re duvets, for years we had a king size, then my wrists went so we swapped to two singles....what bliss. No more fighting, no more cold spots and so easy to change!

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Another for quilt. We always take the one off our bed.

Cheers

Trevor

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Duvet every time :)

10's or £1000's spent on a luxury home from home, so for me, it's a cozy duvet all the time. Sleeping bags are just too restrictive for me :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We used sleeping bags in the Autoquest when we had to make up the bed each day but use a duvet on the fixed bed in the Burstner.
Just thought that I should add we have two summer weight duvets to which Jill has sewn Velcro at each corner. We use one in summer and the two together in winter and it is easy to switch from one to two (or vice versa) if the weather turns out to be warmer/colder than expected.

OP
OP
Chris+Tracy
Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Thanks all.
looks like we will be sticking to the duvets then.
saves me loads on sleeping bags.

taralabradog

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis majestic 105
Exp
Duvalays if we make up the singles. If we make the double then we have 2 double duvets. One is 4.5 tog and the other is 10.5 tog so it all depends upon how hot or cold it is as to which one goes on top and which goes beneath us.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
We have a 4.5 & 10.5 tog single duvet each. In winter the 4.5 goes on the bottom and the 10.5 on top. In Summer other way round.

We've started using a single fitted sheet to retain the botton duvet as it stops the foot area rucking up.

Like the Duvalay concept, but you can buy single duvets and covers so cheap, haven't seen the point in splashing out.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Duvets here as well.

Our over-garage King-size bed has a Duvalay mattress topper and we use a 14.5 tog duvet with a few blanket fleeces to hand should it get chilly. We always sleep with a window slightly open in all weathers as we love fresh air circulating.

Udo's drop-down bed also has a mattress topper and a duvet and fleece blanket. Our 13 year-old son uses that.

However, for the pull-out settee that our 5 year-old daughter sleeps on, we place her in a sleeping bag as it takes up less space when being put away and she's less likely to wriggle out of it. She also has a fleecy throw to keep her snuggly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back