Dutch Bikes and Bike Racks

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ktesis, Nov 26, 2009.

1. ktesis

ktesis Read Only Funster

My wife is keen on purchasing a "Dutch" style bike but from looking at pictures of bike racks it may be difficult to secure it to the rack! I have no rack fitted at the moment but before I do does anyone have any experience of this type of bike?

2. Maddie

Maddie Read Only Funster

Redsonja and her husband got Dutch bikes and a bikerack. Give them a pm.

Maddie

3. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

We have a dutch style bike. It fixed to our rack OK. Our bike though is English and our local shop applied claude butler handle bars to it (swept back) and its a step through type. Was as expensive as a dutch bike if not more but trying to get one in this country that suited a 5ft women was hard as the dutch all seem to be 7 ft plus.

4. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, Jane has a German Bike, and that went on the rack on our last van, she really likes it,:Smile: and so do I as it has baskets for the back and front, and rear panniers,:Wink: so she manages quite well with all the shopping.............:Wink: :BigGrin: Bob.

Attached Files:

5. Henryhymer

Henryhymer Read Only Funster

We have dutch style bikes and don't have a problem with fitting on the rack. I always swivel the handlebars round which makes it a bit easier.
    Cheers

6. savantuk

savantuk Read Only Funster

This is exactly what you should do. Wheelbase is not usually a problem, it's the width of the handlebars.

Turning the handlebars through 90 degrees makes a big difference, and only takes a minute or so, especially if they are secured with an Aheadset.