DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
can you not get a 12v adaptor for your laptop?

Got one DBK, trouble is still draws virtually the same current, mind you I have got a 12V charger, are you referring to an adaptor? I need 19V for laptop

I was using the adaptor off hab batteries, when I thought I might as well plug in the inverter as well and blew the lot while in France!!

I carry too much power hungry technology for such a bafoon

Anyway as above, now on hook up, this wilding in laybys isn't for me :D

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Winds and snow due to get up overnight tonight and ease by lunchtime tomorrow or that was the latest

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David it's always nice to get Snow
I think your overnight layby was Drumochtar Pass which is I believe actually the highest point of the A9 ( stand to be corrected) hence no snow at Ralia which although further north is not as high
Haven said that you are correct that the weather in Scotland can be strange as was in Aviemore last Sat ( not in MH) and NO snow but there was snow on the road between Grantown and Forres

checked my map, pretty sure you are right, there was a notice board covered in snow, and technically I parked in a coach only bit, not a layby, not really sure there is that much to stop and look at there any more than anywhere else on the A9, but being the highest point makes a decent excuse

must be just because I was driving north, it did seem to be uphill to Ralia

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just had another MH pull up and park next to me at Grantown, really putting mine to shame

How do people keep white MH's so clean, mine is a champagne colour which hides some of the grime, his is brilliant white all over apart from the blue bits and even those look very clean

Looks like his was teleported in from a showroom :)

I am hoping for plenty of snow soon

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Glad your sorted and hooked up for the next few days. Enjoy the snow when it arrives and lets hope the storm that is forecast isn't as bad as predicted. Enjoy the rest if your break, I'm quite envious.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am hoping for plenty of snow soon

Spare a thought for the person with the brilliant white MH. How will they find it again if it snows?

As long as all the snow isn't yellow yours should be easier to find. :)

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
David
How busy is the site at Grantown was planning going to Arisaig Fri - Sun then down to Forteilliam for 2 nights but with weather forecast may have to have a rethink

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
checked my map, pretty sure you are right, there was a notice board covered in snow, and technically I parked in a coach only bit, not a layby, not really sure there is that much to stop and look at there any more than anywhere else on the A9, but being the highest point makes a decent excuse

must be just because I was driving north, it did seem to be uphill to Ralia
And another useless bit of info. Dalwhinnie distillery, which you can see a mile of so off the A9, is the highest distillery in Scotland!:beerchug:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David
How busy is the site at Grantown was planning going to Arisaig Fri - Sun then down to Forteilliam for 2 nights but with weather forecast may have to have a rethink

looks like only 3 of us here, just been to the office and it was closed, would you like me to check for the weekend? But I cant see it changing that much

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Strangely enough I only use the inverter on the 'engine' side to avoid flattening the hab battery :eek:

That's flawed. If you can't start the engine you are in deep poo, if you can start the engine it will top up your leisure battery.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
That's flawed. If you can't start the engine you are in deep poo, if you can start the engine it will top up your leisure battery.

I have banished my inverter to the bedroom area, as you say the worst it can do there is flatten the hab batteries or blow a fuse on the internals again, at least I can still hopefully start (y)

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
David heard on local radio that both Kessok & Dornoch bridge closed to high sided vehicles today and that's before the forecasted winds !!! And all trains North & west are canceled for tomorrow so best stay in Grantown for a few days

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
or blow a fuse on the internals again

What wattage is your inverter ? Is it a cigar socket type ( guess it must be ). And finally what was the amperage of the fuse it blew.

Enjoy the showers in Grantown, best in Scotland if not the whole UK.

Good site: Alford - Haughton Caravan Park

Wilding at Spey Bay is good. Though both cases in summer conditions.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
What wattage is your inverter ? Is it a cigar socket type ( guess it must be ). And finally what was the amperage of the fuse it blew.

Enjoy the showers in Grantown, best in Scotland if not the whole UK.

Good site: Alford - Haughton Caravan Park

Wilding at Spey Bay is good. Though both cases in summer conditions.

Inverter is 300W, problem with fuse was possibly not even a fuse, being a daft sod I plugged the inverter and a maplins 12V charger in to the same socket on the hab circuit a the same time, lost both the socket and the TV's, never did find a fuse gone but eventually pulled the main control fuse a great big 50A thing, put it back it and everything came back to life

Have been to Grantown before and fully endorse the shower comment and the warmest shower block I have ever used, although it might have been used in the coldest temperature we have ever camped in as well. Will report back on the current condition and temperatures once used

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David heard on local radio that both Kessok & Dornoch bridge closed to high sided vehicles today and that's before the forecasted winds !!! And all trains North & west are canceled for tomorrow so best stay in Grantown for a few days

Thanks for that I have booked for 4 nights here just to be safe, option on staying then as well based on how few are here

Nice place to have to stay anyway

Just need to get the heating to perform now, relates back to other threads, even on 3Kw cant get over 19C, going to put gas on as well see how that does

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Inverter is 300W

300 / 12 = 25A at full load and maybe more. So not suitable for a cigar socket unless you are careful to limit the load.

I have a 300W wired direct to the hab battery, it has it's own switch, I've fitted an extension lead to an accessible 240V socket with neon indicator to remind me to turn it off, it spends most of it's life off.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
When you get to Inverness go down the slip road before the bridge A96 to Elgin and a few hundred yards you will come to another roundabout and large Tesco diesel £1.147 litre from memory then just head back in round the 1st round about snd you are back on the A9
Used this one last June, huge carpark as well if you want to do some shopping.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Matthew with dog.jpg

Just had this by email from my daughter, three months old today, my only grandson (so far)

Nothing like making me feel guilty for going away for three weeks

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Three months!!! Seems like yesterday.

Bet it feels like more than three months to daughter though. :D

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Remember to top up with fuel (Inverness?) before heading on northwards. Believe one of the current cheapest options for diesel is Morrisons in Milburn Road about 1/2 mile off A9 at Raigmore however this is taking you towards the town centre.
Tesco Extra at West Seafield is probably (from memory) a bitty easier but a penny, or so, dearer.
View attachment 50910
Price can be "excessive" the further north you go.
Have a great time.
Wick, there's a Tesco's there, we fill there and take a extra 5 gallon and that should last until you come back to Fort William

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Wick, there's a Tesco's there, we fill there and take a extra 5 gallon and that should last until you come back to Fort William
Yep. Used that one as well but David's route was not going via Wick. If he does the ex Caravan Club site down by the river in Wick is good (great warden) but you need to enter via a different route alongside the river due to the low railway bridge at the site entrance. Five minutes walk into town and a good walking footpath in the other direction along the riverside.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
All in one piece, disturbed night being buffeted around a bit, but I think we have been in worse before, a bit of weather hype, although looks like the western isles copped for it

This site is nicely sheltered, the whole town is really, a few big branches down and a couple of trees at precarious angles, but no obvious damage

Had a few claps of Thunder which were as bad as the wind, mainly because I didn't expect them and thought a big tree had come down

Glad I was here in time for it starting though, the local Scottish news showed a panel van on its side, pretty much the size of a MH

All calming down now again ready for the next one, which is coming with some snow apparently

Another cup of coffee then off to buy to buy some bread, bought some Heinz tomato soup with chilli kick, sounded different, costs 20p more then normal, but is really nice, subtle chilli flavour, mug of soup and bacon butties for 11ses (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks for fuel stop options, I have enough to get to Inverness, then from there a full tank will get me to Durness and back to Inverness, at the moment my route up is via Ullapool, keeps the altitude down a bit compared to the Lairg route, also I think it is better scenery, will probably come back down via Altnahara and Lairg for variety. But that is 10 days away yet :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back