Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Problem so far up here with the Aurora is that the moon has been too bright which makes it not visible to the naked eye but will come out on camera
Hopefully you will see something up at Durness

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The weather forecast is rubbish up there for about the next 10 days but by the end of next week the moon should not be visible in the evening and by the 20th not visible at all at night. So, with luck (take all available charms) by the end of next week the weather might get better and the skies will be darker. So, probably no need to charge up to Durness straight away.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
David have a lovely time - wish we were going with you:frowny:

Yes - pics please and look forward to updates :clap2:
X

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So Day 1, started with Bev looking at Breakfast weather reports and asking if I really should be going, maybe delay leaving for a few days, it does look pretty bleak but mainly tomorrow and for heavens sake when did the weather stop a true Brit doing anything :D

So back to packing, with Bevs help [she is not coming by the way], maybe joining me later, packing also includes showing me where every is stored [keep quiet and pay attention] I would hate to have to ring and ask where something is

So having been warned by Bev about the weather forecast I set off at midday heading for the drop off at Kendal for work, and it is already pouring down and getting worse, no real plans for todays journey other than via Kendal in working hours. Then I hear the M6 is closed luckily above Kendal but make the decision to stop somewhere near Shap over night, bit early but better than queuing in a jam, leave Kendal and hear the M6 has reopened so decide go further before stopping

Rain has now slowed to torrential but wind is picking up, all over head gantries are warning either of wind or heavy rain over next 2 days, then weather on Radio 2 mentions snow over high ground in Scotland tomorrow [Thursday] so now true British spirit takes over, I will keep going stop when I have to Perth

But then decide that is still not high level, so how about going up beyond the snow gates, pull into a layby up there if it snows they will dig me out or leave me there I guess, so here I am

I think we have stopped here on our travels before, if it wasn't so dark I think there might be a half decent view, rain has not virtually stopped, but boy is it windy pretty much side on as well so rocking well, maybe high level wasn't very clever, there is already plenty of snow on the tops

But it will do for tonight, booked on in Grantown from tomorrow, they have said there is snow forecast for the weekend, cant wait, just let me do the last 50 miles tomorrow before it starts (y)

Have decided though I am too old for 400 miles in a day, especially in the dark

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
WOW that sounds brilliant, will watch to see how you get on , are you taking your beautiful dog with you.

Hello Carol

No Bev, but got Lola for company

And I much prefer the new Avatar, the old one make it look like Eddie was making you stand outside holding up the awning :D

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Carol

No Bev, but got Lola for company

And I much prefer the new Avatar, the old one make it look like Eddie was making you stand outside holding up the awning :D

Bet Lola will enjoy it. re old aviator I was pole dancing on the Fun Flag pole lol, really should act my age I know.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
will be following this thread with great interest . We did the top of Scotland a couple of years ago spent 3 weeks wild camping trying to get a glimse of the aurura, which we didn't get to see. Enjoy your travels hope you get some great pics can't wait to see them.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just watching the weather now on BBC news, looks like I might have snow here in the morning

updates and photos in daylight :)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
David, just watched weather BBC, 100mph winds in North Scotland Friday morning. So I'd make sure you parked the right way round then.

Not 100% sure but i think I'm a bit envious of your trip. Hopefully, next year we'll be a daft as you. :)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
David, I've just read your first update to Les - he says he's glad we've stayed at home, I'm not sure I am though:D

P.s. Who's Lola?;)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Great to hear you have braved it Dave. I got the arora alert yesterday and had always planned on hitting the road if such a notification was received, however because of the predictions for high winds I chickened out. I might have a go next week and keep my fingers crossed.
Keep us posted on your progress, looking forward to hearing how you get on.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Fully awake, breakfast scoffed, A9 is flowing well despite being covered in snow, only a shallow coating, just had my lay by gritted, felt like a personal service, very grateful

Plan to move when it gets light presuming it does, absolutely pitch black here still

@Debs I will post a photo of Lola later, remove any concerns you might have about my travel companion :D

Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
Just curious thinking of a wee trip but not further than Inverness ish, how far up the A9 are you?

Pat

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
IMG_0076.JPG

Scottish weather is a really funny thing, moved further up the A9, up both in further north and higher altitude to Ralia Café

No snow on the ground at all, but it has just started to snow pretty heavily so probably wont be long, but I expected there to be more here already

This is our over night lay by

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just curious thinking of a wee trip but not further than Inverness ish, how far up the A9 are you?

Pat

Ralia Café just south of Newtownmore

Weather is looking pretty good, sun just coming out, hardly any snow

I am on my way to Grantown on Spey for a few nights

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
View attachment 51205

@Debs this Lola [photo from last year, to cold for her to sit still this morning]
:doh: Sorry, mis-read an earlier post and thought your beautiful dog was called something else Kara/Tara (take it that's someone else's?)
Doh!

No worries about being cold with her to snuggle up to;):D

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This post is hopefully a useful reminder to all that need to recharge laptops etc when away, I also hope that the more times I write the same thing eventually it will sink in and I wont make this mistake again

Those that read my Granada thread may recall we had a flat cab battery, that was not the for the first time either

Today, started engine, laptop was flat so plugged in inverter, decided to use the socket that shuts down when engine turned off to 'remove' risk of flat battery

So ran engine for long enough to warm things up, then turned off, leaving radio on for weather travel updates

With ignition on radio setting the socket stays live, so did the inverter, I suddenly noticed a green light on the inverter about an hour after turning the engine off

Quick panic, check control panel, cab battery down to 11.8V, not good, but at least I now carry jump leads that will reach from leisure batts to jump points under bonnet, so could be worse

Decide to give engine one go, hoping that having run so recently it might just turn really easily

and it did, got away with it this time, now got to find a way to stop it EVER HAPPENING AGAIN

one option would be to only use the 12V socket connected to the hab batteries, last time we did that I blew something, then we had no socket and no TV's, but quite probably still better than not starting especially when it is snowing and just above freezing

It will not happen again :oops:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
You snowed in, sub zero temperatures and no lap top would be awful....how would we follow this thread? We southern softies have to live variously your snowy weather somehow!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@DavidG58 without appearing to be flippant would it not be safer to ALWAYS turn off the ignition when not running the engine?

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
View attachment 51202

Scottish weather is a really funny thing, moved further up the A9, up both in further north and higher altitude to Ralia Café

No snow on the ground at all, but it has just started to snow pretty heavily so probably wont be long, but I expected there to be more here already

This is our over night lay by

David it's always nice to get Snow
I think your overnight layby was Drumochtar Pass which is I believe actually the highest point of the A9 ( stand to be corrected) hence no snow at Ralia which although further north is not as high
Haven said that you are correct that the weather in Scotland can be strange as was in Aviemore last Sat ( not in MH) and NO snow but there was snow on the road between Grantown and Forres

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
The ignition was off, I now know I need to remove the key, until removed the socket stays live

Another day older and this time slightly wiser (y):D

Crikey, I didn't know that :eek: I have just checked mine and when turned off but with the key in ALL the electrics are disabled.

Strangely enough I only use the inverter on the 'engine' side to avoid flattening the hab battery :eek:

Maybe time for another addition to the 'on site check list' ...... engine off... key OUT

Anyway, enjoy Scotland and batten down the hatches for the next 2 days :eek::eek::eek: :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is useless advice given you are far from civilisation* but can you not get a 12v adaptor for your laptop?

*It's a joke Scottish folk, I love the place and will be going back next year.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Crikey, I didn't know that :eek: I have just checked mine and when turned off but with the key in ALL the electrics are disabled.

Anyway, enjoy Scotland and batten down the hatches for the next 2 days :eek::eek::eek: :)

OK so confession time, there are 2 levels of OFF, engines stops, radio still on, then OFF OFF, mine is the same as yours, I can turn it right off and leave key in, another senior moment, mixed with blind panic, now abated, on site hooked up :)

As for the weather, I can only presume this is the quiet before the storm, it is virtually dead calm here in Grantown on Spey (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back