During my long drive my thoughts roamed to... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Being Billy No Mates, I had plenty of time to talk to myself on the recent drive down to Portugal and I found myself asking myself questions.

Now, with a little time spare, I will put these weighty matters at the feet of the Wise Ones who so willingly share their knowledge on this great site.

Firstly. Is it more economic to drive your motorhome without ever filling the fuel tank more than half full and thus avoid using unnecessary fuel just to transport that "extra" fuel in your tank?

If it is... then maybe "half full" is less economic than a "third full" or a "quarter full" etc.

What would the most economic amount to put in at each "fill up" given that one would have to calculate the wasted fuel used in slowing down and speeding up again at each fuel stop...

:)

(and this is the most sensible question... more to follow!!!)

JJ

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I feel a headache coming on :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Being Billy No Mates, I had plenty of time to talk to myself

and we know were that leads, dont we?.....answering yourself, then arguing about it but at least you will always win:thumb::roflmto:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
it's when that other bloke starts to argue back, that you know you have problem :Eeek:
Don't know the answewr to your question!

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Don't forget to take the increased evaporation into account when running with near empty tank:winky:
Now you've got me worrying about it.
Take Pappajohn's advice - turn the radio up till you can't hear yourself think.:shout:
Patrick

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I never talk to myself , can't get a sensible answer ::bigsmile:
Have a good trip JJ and you can be sure it will stop when the tanks empty :Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Firstly. Is it more economic to drive your motorhome without ever filling the fuel tank more than half full and thus avoid using unnecessary fuel just to transport that "extra" fuel in your tank?
JJ

Theoretically yes of course.

But how much ? If your vehicle is 5 tons = 11200lbs and you've 100gallons = 800lbs then is 400lbs going to be significant, it's 3.5% not much at all.

BUT e=mv^2, the energy you are carrying at speed is a square law so backing off speed is going to make a significant amount more saving.

To carry of from pappaj - put in no fuel and stay still and you won't believe the savings.

NEXT.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
jj. all you can do is trial n error testing. i can say if i load both my tanks up it makes no difference (noticable).i do know that if i fill up just before portugal i save a few bob and may not even fill up at all there. in my other truck i had 3 tanks, i could get from maroc to santander without filling. i normally filled near ribadesella on the north coast arriving back in uk with over 500ltrs of cheap spanish fuel .much better than half filling and paying uk price. course you need a good payload. you could try adding old engine oil etc to your diesel many do ,i cant be bothered but am willing to add it after an oil change. got to get rid of it some how. cheers alan.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I generally run from full down to 1/2 tank then fill up ..

Two reasons

* Less chance of running out.
* Reduced or little tank corrosion ..

Conversely , running from 1/2 to near empty,

* High risk of running out
* You will get tank corrosion in the top of the tank

jim

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I think I remember from one of the Auto papers years ago after one of the fuel shortages it was worked out that 3/4 full tank of fuel worked out best ....but then years ago smoking fags was OK !!!

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just as I thought everyone... brilliant answers... and I can honestly say that I agree with every single one of them :) :)

Thanks

... and so inspired by your help on that question onto the next one which, if I am allowed, I will do on another new thread...

JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back