Dunoon

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Supertractorman, May 31, 2010.

1. Supertractorman

Supertractorman Read Only Funster

Hi,

Anybody got any recommendations for a campsite at or near Dunoon ?.

Thanks.

2. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

AFRAID NOT BUT GOOD LUCK ANYWAY.:Sad:

3. buttons

buttons Funster

Sorry no camp sites but brought back some memories of our first trip to Dunoon. We were driving along the coast road toward Greenock terrible night lashing it down pitch black along with a sea mist. Couldn’t see the end of the bonnet. It was late so we decided to stop in a car park alongside the water. Shut our eyes about midnight in a deserted parking area. Next thing we knew was this man in oilskins and a hood knocking on the window shouting move up you are blocking the way. Looked out there were cars everywhere only option was to board the ferry, to where we had no idea but we passed some money out of the gap in the window had no idea what this soaking wet man was saying and ended up in Dunoon.The kids woke up in the morning without a clue of what had gone on during the night.:Eeek:

4. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

5. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

15 miles up the road to a place called GLENDARUEL lovely, quiet and piecefull campsite, in the glen nestling between the hills. go up the A885 turn left at B836, thru Glen Lean, Loch Tarzan, a dam for the hydro, should on your right, past Loch Striven, where they used to pactice during the last war for the dam busters, up the hill, see some lovely views, keep going, turn right onto A886 about 2 miles past Clachen of Glendaruel, campsite on the left:Smile:if you go there tell Annie, the owner that Gramps brother, Ray sent you.:Smile:

6. Dalek

Dalek Read Only Funster

www.cowal-dunoon.com gives you some site names.

I love Dunoon and I am fortunate that my aunts and cousins live there overlooking Holy Loch ( Sandbank ) so get to stay at theirs. Might even stay in their car park opposite their house which the residents bought to stop the council building on it and taking their view, should we ever take the Motorhome up there that is. My cousin owns the £1 shop in Dunoon and various others around the area. Last year when we visited Dunoon it was to scatter my mums ashes on Holy Loch. Emily and I went across on the ferry and got talking to a regular delivery man so the conductor walked straight past us thinking we were all together, when we were leaving Dunoon I think they assumed we had got out of a car so again they didnt ask for any money :BigGrin:

Its a beautiful area to visit and I hope you find a site suitable.

7. barbt

barbt Read Only Funster

8. Supertractorman

Supertractorman Read Only Funster

Came to Dunoon and tried Cot House Park and the man in reception was very abrupt saying not worth coming here as we are booked up for the next 18 months. Asked him where else to try and he said there is one along the road but they will be full also.
    Pulled into Invereck Campsite and told no problem staying here except when the Cowal Games are on. Nice little site although toilets very basic. Good washing machine and dryer plus free use of outside whirligig dryer. Best thing is £11 per night with electric and if you stay for 7 days you only pay for 6. Newspaper delivered to your van every morning, now thats good service. Can recommend.:Wink: