Dunlop air suspension

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by BFM14, Feb 4, 2016.

1. BFM14

BFM14 Funster

We are going to fit Dunlop rear suspension to our Knaus Sky Ti and we have a question. What advantage is there to having the gauges and small compressor fitted as well? We have been advised that it is sufficient to have individual Schrader valve inflators in area of wheel arch; To be checked monthly using a pressure gauge. All opinions will be gratefully received

2. telsdog

telsdog Funster

Hi
    I have fitted Dunlop air suspension to the rear of my motorhome with gauges and compressor. It comes in handy sometimes for levelling. Pumps up again quite quickly. Could be useful to be able to pump up higher before boarding a ferry to stop the rear grounding. Haven't tried this myself.
    Terry

3. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

As above the only benifit is if you have to keep changing the pressure to adjust the ride height. If not then no need to pay the extra.

4. Kensmith314

Kensmith314 Read Only Funster

Hi,
    I can't answer your question but have exactly the same van as you and would love to know how much of a difference the new suspension makes.
    When you have tried it for a while, perhaps you could post your findings?

5. Neckender

Neckender Funster

6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I have twin gauges behind cab seats each with it's own valve and a small compressor (6.99) under seat

7. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

Just have the schreader(sp?) valves on mine as I didn't think the additional cost of the gauges and compressor was worth it. Still happy with that decision a year later.

8. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

Exactly as I had on my last van,no hassle just to undo valve cap fixed to rear of wheel arch for checking or adjusting pressure.
    Found when pressure was right virtually no buffeting when passing HGV's and could bring the rear up to level after loading the scooter onto rack or with towing height.
    Was really pleased when I found them on my S/hand van,dealer obviously didn't notice they were fitted as never mentioned it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BFM14

BFM14 Funster

Thank you for all of your replies. Decision made, going to fit just the basic air suspension, will fit compressor etc later if proved that it is required.

10. JJ

JJ Funster

I did exactly the same as this... never bothered with the gauges ect.

(The air assist bags made a MASSIVE difference. Thoroughly recommended.)

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

@BFM14 - one suggestion - run the air pipes to somewhere where you might be able to install the gauges/compressor if you later decide to. That might save rework and access might be easier than the wheel arch. I terminated mine in the gas locker as I have plenty of room there and access is easy. OK, so I wasn't thinking of adding a compressor later but at least I could add the gauges if I want to!

12. BFM14

BFM14 Funster

good idea for where to put the pipes!! Thanks

13. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I installed mine in the driverside footwell on my old Starspirit.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. BFM14

BFM14 Funster

@Kensmith314 having now travelled through to the south of Germany I can now say that the addition of the Dunlop air suspension has been a great success. The ride is better and the cornering is totally different. It does not wallow as before and has become a much more stable machine.

15. Kensmith314

Kensmith314 Read Only Funster

Hi, and thank you very much for this information.
    I'm going around Scotland for two weeks, beginning on Wednesday.
    Perhaps when I come back I will look into having them fitted in time for my next outing in Europe.

16. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Funster

We have Dunlop Air Assistance on the rear axle of our Mercedes 518. It was fitted before we bought it but I haven't found that the lack of an instant method of increasing the pressure to have been inconvenient.

Once found, the optimum pressure doesn't need changing because our all up weight doesn't change much. (We are usually well loaded.) Once found, the optimum pressure has stabilised the van in buffeting & crosswind situations and at roundabouts.

The Assistance can help in increasing the max load the rear axle can take by as much as 200kgs. Our max design load was 2000kgs front, 3300kgs rear) but the converter had reduced this to 5000kgs overall. SVtech have certified recovery of the original design loads to 5300kgs and the Assistance enabled them to certify a further increase of 200kgs, to 5500kgs overall, as long as the individual axle maximums are not exceeded.

Norman

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  17. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

I have a Firestone system in my recent purchase, no gauges... What sort of pressure are people putting in theirs...? @Techno i noticed on your picture you had nearly 100psi, I think the previous owner said that about 35psi is in mine.. What factors are involved ? Or is it trial and error and just going with how feels when driving..?

18. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

The 100psi is when first installing to help secure the pipe unions as per installation instructions

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. BFM14

BFM14 Funster

My Dunlop is set at 40 psi. Originally the installer said 45 psi but said that after a settling down period I was check that the back wasn't too high. It was so reduced to 40 psi and the vehicle is level.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Ours as VB air assistance fitted and I run ours at 1.5 bar approx 22 psi.

John.