Dunlop Air suspension, fitting made easy guide (1 Viewer)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
For this job you will need some additional ground clearance (Milenco Quattros ideal)
A long handled torque wrench
Hammerite Waxoyl to coat all metal parts during assembly
A tape measure for LSV load sensing valve
1/2" drive sockets 13,17,22mm
Hammer, cold chisel, sidecutters, stanley knife, battery drill, 8mm HSS bit

Begin with the rod measurement at the LSV as this may alter with the suspension upgrade and need to be adjusted later BEFORE driving
Measure-here-on-load-sensing-M.jpg

Next having created more room for your comfort underneath the van if your bump stops are sat on the leaf springs? use your scissor jack to create a small amount of lift (about 25mm 1") make sure the head of the scissor is on a reinforced section of chassis
scissor-jack-placed-between-M.jpg

The bump stop will need a slight persuasion with a hammer and drift or cold chisel on the castellations to just start it off anticlockwise
Bump-stop-just-a-light-tap-M.jpg

BS removed
BS-removed-M.jpg

The basic components are superb quality and very robust
basic-parts-M.jpg

Upper bracket fitted and secured with bolt 17mm head
Upper-bracket-fitted-M.jpg

Next comes the removal of the leaf spring U bolts and bump stop bottom plate, 22mm socket and long handled wrench with some brute force to get these babies off
U-bolts-and-bottom-plate-M.jpg

The bump stop plate is NOT replaced but saved for if you remove your kit to transfer to another vehicle.
Now attach a bellow unit to a bottom bracket loosely with the 13mm headed bolts and attach the appropriate air line (left or right) Marcle recommend red for left blue for right.
Compress the bellows until all the air is expelled and bend over the other end of the airline to prevent it re inflating, secure with tape or a small cable tie.
bottom-bracket-loosly-fitted-M.jpg

Bellows located
Belows-and-bottom-bracket-M.jpg

U bolted back in place 110nm tightening torque!
U-bolts-replaced-M.jpg

Allow the air back into the bellows and fit the top bolts loosly
Fully-fitted-and-waxoyld-M.jpg

tighten the bellows bottom bolts 13mm spanner, check alignment before tightening top bolts 13mm
Decide on a route for your airlines
Axle-routing-M.jpg

Axle-routing-2-M.jpg

Air-line-routing-1-M.jpg

Air-line-routing-2-M.jpg

Air-line-routing-3-M.jpg

View below rear of driver footwell where handbrake cable goes through to lever 2 x 8mm holes drilled
View-below-handbrake-cable-M.jpg

Airlines appear here and enter fill point and gauge
driver-footwell-and-gauges-M.jpg

Units inflated
Bellows-allowed-to-refill-and-M.jpg

Now adjust the pressure until the units stand 13.5cm tall about 35psi and re measure the LSV ! remember mine was about 35mm in the first picture?
Now it is a tad under 30mm
LSV-5mm-less-M.jpg

Adjust here until it is the original measurement 8mm spanner to lossen the collar
Adjust-here-to-original-M.jpg

This cost me £411 as illustrated inc VAT n delivery

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Thanks for that very clear instructions, except where is the LSV located?

I have saved it as an html file for future reference, and it may be good to upload to the forum database downloads under Manuals - Accessories.
I think it should be under technical really but cannot find a category for that, maybe Jim might consider it as an addition. :Cool:

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes agreed Keith I couldn't really find a good place to post it but happy for it to be moved anywhere more appropriate.

The LSV is recognisable by a rod and spring attached to the rear axle. With later vehicles with ABS this does not exist.
LSV-M.jpg

I should have said this example is x244 based and variations. There are kits for almost all vehicles and the X250 is very similar but without the LSV and a different top mounting plate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Yes agreed Keith I couldn't really find a good place to post it but happy for it to be moved anywhere more appropriate.

The LSV is recognisable by a rod and spring attached to the rear axle. With later vehicles with ABS this does not exist.
LSV-M.jpg

I should have said this example is x244 based and variations. There are kits for almost all vehicles and the X250 is very similar but without the LSV and a different top mounting plate.

Done it.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Thank you for taking the trouble to post this I am sure it will help members on here:thumb:

sabconsulting

Free Member
Jan 22, 2011
High Wycombe
Funster No
MH
Demountable truck camper
Exp
Since 2010
Where is the best place to buy these from?

This is very interesting; thanks for posting the photos.

I am interested in adding air suspension to the back of the Ford Ranger that carries our demountable camper - not that it sits too low or handles badly, but mainly as belt and braces to help take some of the load off the springs when off road.

Looking through various threads here people have provided links to companies that will install these systems, but I would want to install it myself (I can fabricate any additional steelwork necessary too) - any ideas who sells these kits at the best price for self-installation?

Thanks,

Steve.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Contact Marcle Leisure. They do various kits but more importantly they do all the parts as spares individually so you could just buy bellows and perhaps fab your own brackets with your skill?
I bought mine primarily over concern about the body roll and dreadful cornering and the back end lift is certainly a bonus for the steep ramps on some ferries.
I've realised as a bonus that the potential for levelling on site is enormous and cant wait for the opportunity to show off :ROFLMAO: not just rear up and down but SIDE to SIDE
I love to promote DIY and I've done quite a few topics now on various forums. Most stuff being based on my autocruise . £411 for this system is a bargain or even less if you go for the plain filler points.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
interesting thread. have air suspension fitted and checked over the weekend and noticed BUMP STOP perished, is this part of mot testing or do i need to remove them,

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
interesting thread. have air suspension fitted and checked over the weekend and noticed BUMP STOP perished, is this part of mot testing or do i need to remove them,

Not sure what you mean? air assisted suspension usually replaces the bump stops

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
having to adjust the LSV means the body has been either raised or lowered...more likely raised.

your headlamps will probably need adjusting for the different rear ride height.

cab adjustable headlamp aim should be MOT'd at the 0 position on the adjusting wheel/knob and cant be used to adjust the height for MOT

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The idea is to set your van level under all conditions and thus the headlight aim should not be affected. It's important that if you use the system as a leveling aid on site that you open the valves to equalise the suspension and re adjust the pressure for the road and re close the valves to prevent side to side transfer of air.
The BASIC air fill system cannot do this so the extra for the gauge/valve system illustrated is well worth it IMHO

sabconsulting

Free Member
Jan 22, 2011
High Wycombe
Funster No
MH
Demountable truck camper
Exp
Since 2010
Contact Marcle Leisure. They do various kits but more importantly they do all the parts as spares individually so you could just buy bellows and perhaps fab your own brackets with your skill?
I bought mine primarily over concern about the body roll and dreadful cornering and the back end lift is certainly a bonus for the steep ramps on some ferries.
I've realised as a bonus that the potential for levelling on site is enormous and cant wait for the opportunity to show off :ROFLMAO: not just rear up and down but SIDE to SIDE
I love to promote DIY and I've done quite a few topics now on various forums. Most stuff being based on my autocruise . £411 for this system is a bargain or even less if you go for the plain filler points.

Thanks - I've just checked their web site - £411 does sound like a good price. £470 for my pick-up for the complete kit.

Steve.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The idea is to set your van level under all conditions and thus the headlight aim should not be affected. It's important that if you use the system as a leveling aid on site that you open the valves to equalise the suspension and re adjust the pressure for the road and re close the valves to prevent side to side transfer of air.
The BASIC air fill system cannot do this so the extra for the gauge/valve system illustrated is well worth it IMHO
if you need to adjust the LSV actuating rod then you have altered the rear ride height from what it was without assister's and so altered the headlamp beam height.

admittedly, once a 'level' ride height pressure is set, and the beams adjusted to suit, there is no need to readjust headlamp beam height again.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I really think that if the difference was significant it would be mentioned in the manufacturer installation instructions. At worst it will lower the headlight beam by the teeny weeniest amount and the effect of fully inflating the units will only point them down more so so not likely to fail an MOT or blind oncoming traffic.
Point taken John but I'm not concerned

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I really think that if the difference was significant it would be mentioned in the manufacturer installation instructions. At worst it will lower the headlight beam by the teeny weeniest amount and the effect of fully inflating the units will only point them down more so so not likely to fail an MOT or blind oncoming traffic.

Fair comment....just pointing out a possible future pitfall....RE: MOT. :thumb:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I really think that if the difference was significant it would be mentioned in the manufacturer installation instructions. [HI]At worst it will lower the headlight beam by the teeny weeniest amount and the effect of fully inflating the units will only point them down more so so not likely to fail an MOT [/HI]or blind oncoming traffic.

I have a suspicion that low headlamps are also an MoT failure, but not 100%.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Hi all readers, my query was i have air suspension fitted which assisted the suspension however bump stops are still visible but somewhat perished.
My question being if the bump stops are fitted do they play are part in the MOT , or do i remove them as the air suspension is fitted.
regards

ci carioca

Free Member
Feb 16, 2012
west norfolk
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
6 months
air suspension kit dunlop

Hi There,
what i'd like to know is ,does it make the ride noticably more comfortablefor passengers in rear travel seats?
thanking you
ci carioca:RollEyes:

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Well I don't have any rear passenger seats but I seriously doubt it would be any more comfortable. To improve handling and stop body roll implies SOLID
It's all about setting the air pressure to suit the terrain

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Left the van 2 weeks ago with 4bar in the springs and was all still there today.
I dropped the air to half a bar and the underside of the towbar stood at 11.75 inch.
pumped it back to 4 bar and it stood at 14.25 inch.
7 bar gives over 4inch rise :thumb:

Johnnie Gee

Free Member
May 1, 2009
Near Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Dunlop suspension kits

Marcle leisure supply them, along with the fitting instructions.
They are very helpful and will answer any questions you might have before buying. I fitted them on to my Hymer 584 and it made a tremendous difference to road holding, especially cornering and roundabouts.:thumb:

Hope you get the same results that I did.::bigsmile:

JJG

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Suspension latest

My van is in the process of being up plated from 3300kg to 3700kg
The fee is £240+VAT
I've contacted my insurance Safeguard and confirmed that this will not affect my policy or my AA breakdown/recovery.

So an extra 880lbs payload for £288 and cheaper road tax

buffallobill

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
skipton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since2007
Hi. Tnechno100, in the photo where it states inflate unit to 13.5cm is that the measurement of the bellows height, or is it 13.5 cm from chassis to top of spring. Thank you in anticipation of your reply, bill

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Hi blufalobill
It is a long time ago now but I don't think it is that critical and 35psi is mentioned.
I believe I was quoting the supplied instructions and the fact that it says the "units" would indicate that it means just that.
If in doubt give Steve a call at marcle leisure.

Edit actually the psi is not a good guide as the weight of the vehicle will change that significantly to achieve 13.5 cm

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
having to adjust the LSV means the body has been either raised or lowered...more likely raised.

your headlamps will probably need adjusting for the different rear ride height.

cab adjustable headlamp aim should be MOT'd at the 0 position on the adjusting wheel/knob and cant be used to adjust the height for MOT

Sorry to contradict John that is not correct:Sad:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hi blufalobill
It is a long time ago now but I don't think it is that critical and 35psi is mentioned.
I believe I was quoting the supplied instructions and the fact that it says the "units" would indicate that it means just that.
If in doubt give Steve a call at marcle leisure.

Edit actually the psi is not a good guide as the weight of the vehicle will change that significantly to achieve 13.5 cm

Just out of interest, where did you buy the twin reading gauge??? Dave Newell fitted ours, (and a nice job he did do), but messing about with a tyre pressure gauge is a pain. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back