Dumping the grey in the hedgerow..

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Jan 30, 2008.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I've always thought that there was absolutely nothing wrong with dumping grey in a hedgerow and in times of drought it was beneficial but would never consider doing on a site that had grey dumping facilities ... so you can understand my surprise when the owner of the CL we are on actually instructed me to do just this, he said it saves him money by not needing to pump out his tank.. and he had cleared this with the Caravan Club...
    Well, I was only too happy to comply and deployed the 15ft of slinky into the the hedge... but I wonder what other site owners/wardens would say about this. Has anyone else ever been instructed to do this ?

I should add, he stressed GREY ONLY , NO BLACK .. :Rofl1::Rofl1:

2. Lindy-C

Lindy-C Deleted User

We've always dumped our grey on the front lawn........the rabbits seem to love it :Doh: :Rofl1:

3. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

There you were telling us it was flooding in your area:Wink::Laughing:

4. Lindy-C

Lindy-C Deleted User

Shhhhhhhhhhh.....don't tell the council! :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

5. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

Hi

When we were in the Isle of Wight a couple of years ago we were told the same thing by the owner of the site to dump our grey wastewater in the hedgerow. I must say that those hedgerows were thriving on it too!

Regards Pat

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've seen a discussion of this elsewhere and the upshot seems to be that if the owner of the site/land doesn't mind then it is OK to use hedgerows but if there is a signed disposal point then that should be used.

When on a recognised camp site we use the disposal point if necessary - though if only there for a few days and using shower blocks and washing up facilities we may not have much grey water so would often dispose of it like household grey water once we get back home.

When at ECWS musters we tend to have a lot more grey water from showers/washing up but the convention is to dump it in hedgerows (a reasonable distance from tents/vans) in those circumstances.

Black water is a totally different matter and always disposed of at the facility provided by the place we are staying.

Graham

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

It will do harm if too much grey is poured in the same place. In the UK its diluted enough by the rain that its probably OK. When in warmer climes, the stink from Motorhomes where the owner can't be bothered to empty the grey in a proper place is sometimes very evident. :Eek!:

8. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

I have had the same instructions from a CL in Kent, apparently it cost a fortune to have storage tanks emptied.

9. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Well! On the basis that most drains on campsites are soakaways it matters not in my opinion. We are more than happy for people around the edge of our site to use the hedge. If you use the "dribble" technique where the valve is open a little the water is not in the tank long enough to start the smelling process, but the partial closed valve stops the shower water gushing out all in one go, and the bubbles that come with it:Smile:

For the record, we ask people when dumping their black tanks to use sufficient grey to rinse out their hose and then dump the rest on the grass or gravel surrounding the dump station.

This is good for the land and also at about £130 per 1000 gallons to dispose of "hazdous waste" it is not normal poo it is a high concentrate poo with chemical in:Sad: so we dont want to be paying those rates for grey water!

as Tesco's say Every little helps

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

There is a farmer near me that has a cesspit for the main house sewage, he says they haven't emptied it in 20 years.:Eeek: I am glad that they are below us on the Mountain.:Cool:

11. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

On the CL site where our RV is normally parked there are several m/homes that visit for a few days at a time, they remove a small bit of turf , insert a short length of rigid plastic pipe and run the grey straight into this, when they leave they remove the pipe, replace the turf and you wouldn't know where their water went. I must add that the ground is very sandy, it seems like a good idea to me for short stays.
    Nigel

12. RockieRV

RockieRV Deleted User

And then you go and shoot them??:Rofl1::Rofl1:

13. Lindy-C

Lindy-C Deleted User

You know me SOOOO well Sharon :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: